What can we say at the moment?

I'll give Henjack some slack, remember it took Bennett 5 years to get to the finals. I think Henjack has made some critical errors like taking Hunt off last night for Norman, couldn't see why that was needed, as I thought Hunt was just starting to look very comfortable. I really think, poor atttitude or not, it's time for Sims to come back. He has experience and when he's on song he's one of the best forwards in the game. Also, MICHAELS! My God. That guy struggles in defense, never select him again.

Henjak inherited a team built on bedrock and staffed by origin and international players. He also had established first graders used to the weekly grind. None of which explains his game plan such as it is. The team has gone backwards since his tenure began. That is a plain fact. I see no evidence of improvement. This years team is one he largely had a hand in building. Bennett went to St George, another team which is continually at the pointy end of the season but his team does not appear to be struggling. Coincidence perhaps. St George appear to have a game plan and the players there are often quoted as saying how good it was to have a plan. Never hear that up here in Qld. In fact I never hear players wrapping Henjak.

I agree that because of all the injuries, we are having to breed a whole bunch of youngsters quicker than we would like to. That is always going to be a problem, they are obviously not ready for NRL standard.

But, we were struggling with decisions about 2 years ago, when Bennett left, and when we let Stagg, Hannant and Ennis go, those were our turning points, IMO.
On a positive note - if Folau does leave us, then that frees up a ton of money that we should invest in smartly.

Bring back Hannant, and even though he is old, bring back Civo, his experience and leadership is what we need right now, he just keeps going.
I'd be happy to sign Slater, Cronk, C. Smith or Inglis.
I think the only one realistically to come to us from those guys is Cronk or Slater.
I'd prefer Cronk, imagine him in our backline, throwing balls to Hodges and Thaiday?
Beautiful.
I don't mind Hoffman as our fullback, I saw him pull off some great hits and he's solid with the ball.

Dee said:
I can almost bet my life that if Wayne was coaching this VERY SAME Broncos outfit, with all the injuries included, we may still have only 2 wins, but our proud club would have played the FULL 80 minutes in over 95% of their games so far. Who can disagree?

This is the statement that struck me the most... so true so true,,,,

brisbroncosboy said:
at a time like this all you can do is look forward hows this for a possiable side for 2011

1. HOFFMAN
2. KEMP
3. INGLIS
4. HODGES
5. YOW YEH
6. LOCKYER
7. WALLACE
8. HANNANT
9. MCCULLOUGH
10. CIVONECIVA
11. THAIDAY
12. PARKER
13. GILLETT

14. TRONC
15. LUI
16. TEO
17. KENNY

Lol, your dreaming. You think we could afford Hannant, Civo and Ingliss. Has the Salary cap been raised by a Mil?

Geez more sack the coach posts. Did you lot copy/paste those posts from the various threads after the 56-0 belting in Canberra late last season? Because if I remember correctly we followed it up with a 7-match winning streak and a semi final finish. Henjack can coach, he just doesn't have the playing stock at the moment.

The team's been ripped apart with injuries from one week to the next. Considering the number of players we've had to use so far, 2-6 is hardly surprising. It's a transition period with a lot of kids having to fill in earlier than they probably should. The effort's there but the application not just yet. Give it time and enjoy the ride instead of calling for the coach's head. Here's a tip - it's getting very boring.

Hmmm, maybe I am dreaming?
Haha.

With K. Hunt gone, and Folau gone, that's almost 1 mil, I'm sure we can afford Hannant AND Civo, maybe not Inglis.
Wishful thinking though.

I reckon throw 100k at Shaun Berrigan.
He can play off the bench as a utility.
I know he's getting on, but he can provide much needed experience.
Especially since Andrew McCullough is still young.
Put Glenn in the backrow where he belongs.

I'd welcome Shaun Berrigan back with open arms.
His defense is incredible, who remembers the '06 GF and how he was on G. Inglis like flies on shit?
Inglis had NOTHING.
He was very good out of dummy half too, provided many questions for the opposition defense.

We need more decoy runners, running lines and making it a little difficult for the opposition to know who is getting the ball and when. Our attack is very predictable.

Dee said:
I'd welcome Shaun Berrigan back with open arms.
His defense is incredible, who remembers the '06 GF and how he was on G. Inglis like flies on shit?
Inglis had NOTHING.
He was very good out of dummy half too, provided many questions for the opposition defense.

We need more decoy runners, running lines and making it a little difficult for the opposition to know who is getting the ball and when. Our attack is very predictable.

Good ol Berro hah...Now there was a guy who always played with pride in the Broncos jersey and gave 100% whenever he was on the field. Sure, he was a bit of a douche off the field at times and he did have the occasional brain fart on the field too, but he had the happy knack of regularly creating things which often led to points.

I didn't even know he still played...I thought he would have bought his own niteclub by now and be sittin back chillin with that toothy grin of his _woohoo_

Steve said:
Geez more sack the coach posts. Did you lot copy/paste those posts from the various threads after the 56-0 belting in Canberra late last season? Because if I remember correctly we followed it up with a 7-match winning streak and a semi final finish. Henjack can coach, he just doesn't have the playing stock at the moment.

The team's been ripped apart with injuries from one week to the next. Considering the number of players we've had to use so far, 2-6 is hardly surprising. It's a transition period with a lot of kids having to fill in earlier than they probably should. The effort's there but the application not just yet. Give it time and enjoy the ride instead of calling for the coach's head. Here's a tip - it's getting very boring.

Ivan has had two pre-seasons to put his stamp on the team. All I've seen is the same rubbish defence and "give it to Lockyer for some magic" gameplan

Even with injuries other clubs have some structure and game plan, we don't. Every other team looks like a team in defence, we don't.

If Ivan hasn't recognised this by now, he should go. If he has recognised it but cannot fix it, he should go.

Even after the Canberra game I was willing to give Ivan a chance but he doesn't seem to inspire the players or given them any leadership, so I'm over it. As far as I'm concerned, he's not a first grade coach.

Our 1st match showed we are capable of brilliance, flair and creativity. Players went out and played to their ability from instinct. They didn't “think” what to do, they just did it. There was a structure in both attack and defence. That was helped by creative play-making and a full back who instinctively knew what to do and where to be when the opportunities were there. His defence was also first rate. He was pure class.

That game was a great example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. Everything clicked.

Sure we fluffed the 2nd half. But then, we did exactly the same thing last year against the same team with a much more experienced side.

The game against the Dragoons was very good, but it was mechanical, ad hoc with no fluency or flair, unlike the
game against the Cows. The one thing that was a real improvement was an overall lift in energy and commitment.

Since game 1, Henjak has been focussing on the parts and not the bigger picture. He chops and changes things so there's no chance to build a structure in which players can feel comfortable to show what they can do.

With all these weird experiments, players are floundering, especially the younger ones, wondering where to be and what to do. Sure, injuries have played a big part, but to blame everything on that is a cop out.

Lockyer hasn't lost it. He's been abandoned. He's expected to be brilliant while being squashed by an ever-changing positional roster which obviously can't cope with whatever game plan Henjak has, or doesn't have. Further, he is yet again forced to try to be everything and create miracles. I feel so sad for him.

Norman should have been left at FB. He's so much more talented than Hoffman, so much more instinctive. We should have persisted with him, helping him through the rough patches. Hoffman does well, but IMO, he just hasn't got the “x-factor” that Norman clearly has, that KHunt had.

As for Mick's above comment about Henjak and Jack Gibson and Bennett, I don't agree. More relevantly for me, give our squad to Bellamy or Sheens, and I reckon we'd be playing as a team instead of a bunch of talented youngsters and no-s-youngsters wondering what the f**k is going on.

Aside from which, I reckon we have all the talent we need to win a premiership, except maybe for 1 class back and 1 class forward to add to our depth. Maybe not this year but next year should be firmly in our sights.

Steve said:

I agree Ivan Henjak is awesome. He really knows how to get the Broncos playing as a team, defending as a team and really showing pride and passion in the jersey that us fans all love and would do anything to play in!!

rnabokov said:
As for Mick's above comment about Henjak and Jack Gibson and Bennett, I don't agree. More relevantly for me, give our squad to Bellamy or Sheens, and I reckon we'd be playing as a team instead of a bunch of talented youngsters and no-s-youngsters wondering what the f**k is going on.

Sheens' three-odd finals series in 17 years tends to disagree.

mick said:
rnabokov said:

Sheens' three-odd finals series in 17 years tends to disagree.

I take that point. But winning is not my goal.

My point is that a “good” coach adopts the view that football is a game where the ball does the work, not sensless bash and barge, and hope for an opportunity.

It's simple really. The bloke with ball's 1st priority is to pass or kick it. The blokes around him, on either side,3 and 4 deep, must expect a pass, or a kick.

You also build a play in one direction and then switch it. That's where a player with vision comes in - like Locky, or Marshall. Either up the middle or wide. But then, to do that, every player must have it in his head that they will get the ball or chase the ball. That's why I like Sheens.

We just bash and barge and hope someone wakes up.

the way i judge a coaches quality is judge them on how a individual players game has improved under his coaching and beside teo i dont think any player has improved to a point past their natural progression. Coaches should bring the best out of players. All our imports havent lived up to expectations WHY . How come some one like setu generated such attention but come here and not improve from his rookie year.. sims ect..

The way I judge a coach's quality is by the way everyone plays as one. It's not about a player, it about how they're integrated into a unit.

Active Now

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.