What can we say at the moment?

I suppose if the team is going to be beaten, you would rather watch a team that has some flair, some entertainment value and at least a suggestion that there is a plan that is being worked toward.
There are moments when the Broncos look great with the ball; Sharks game and the mid to later stages of the first half against the Knights.

The common thread is ball security and possession domination. If we go wothout possession, our defence is so poor and our inability to stop second phase play is so obvious, leaking points is inevitable.

We don't seem to have a platform to fall back on when the going gets tough. This is where Bellamy has it all over the other coaches - clever plays built around the early tackles.

Sheens and Bellamy, although very different in approach, produce teams that have a 'stamp' on them.
Bellamy through his structured playsand Sheens because of his clever innovations and plays that think outside the square.

As I've said before, the Broncos are a pretty dumb team.
The fact that Israel is not used as a kick target is incredibly stupid.
I think that alone sums up the mentality of the tactics.
The Broncos

I'd like to see a different approach, maybe even a novel one. Instead of this overwhelming desire to do everything a million miles(ks ?) an hour we could swing back the other way !!...I know, it sounds crazy but if you can picture this following familiar scenario then we at least may be able to fix up one part of our game.

The scenario: Opposition has the ball on fourth/fifth tackle an reefs it deep downfield, fullback/winger picks it up and is promptly smashed.As usual,super quick play the ball,defence set,smashed again. Meanwhile,around the play the ball we see teammates straggling(esp 2nd half) back onside. Finally on fourth/fifth a forward ambles up,smothered by a defence that's been on their tip toes for every tackle in the set,slow play the ball due to that fact,balls thrown to kicker who the defence has already spotted and is sweating on. result, a hurried and usually ineffective kick and few metres gained.

What if the fullback/winger on the first tackle does not jump to his feet in search of a quick play the ball. The defence is already set, it was the chase team afterall !!...99 times out of a hundred the second hitup is ineffective, gaining not more than a few metres if that, third play the ball is more of the same. It's the only time in the game where the team in possession is allowing the defence to be set but the attack (which is supposed to include all 13 players ) is limited to 2/3 players. The quick play the ball in these circumstances is actually detrimental. What got me thinking about it was watching how many metres a team gains generally from a 20metres restart ....they have all players onside and many more options.

Incidentally, I'm aware that it's possible to be pinged for deliberate stalling but if its subtle and well rehearsed a slow approach may(would) reduce the number of ineffective hitups and also having options would reduce the chance the defence could home in on the single player going forward for the offence.

Sorry, if it was a little long winded..it's only a thought afterall.

We, as passionate and loyal Broncos supporters all have an opinion on what should be done to fix our team and make us the force we once were, but at the end of the day, it is up to the players on that field.
They have to play with some balls, with some heart & they got to want to be there, playing to win.
They have got to want to dig in & have a go for 80 minutes.

IMO, Henjak hasn't really convinced me as a coach, sure he got us to one game within the Grand Final last year, but I don't think he inspires our players with his words, his coaching style etc. He seems more like a "mate" to the team, than an actual leader "coach".

He's only in his 2nd year of coaching (with an inherited team at that). Gould said it takes at least 5 years for a coach to be settled, and remember it took Bennett 5 years to make the finals and that was with a State of Origin quality team. Give him time. Yes, it's disappointing to see the losses, and we've been a proud club since our inception, sometimes it takes these really hard times to appreciate the good ones. And we haven't had many really hard times in our 22 years.

mick said:
rnabokov said:
As for Mick's above comment about Henjak and Jack Gibson and Bennett, I don't agree. More relevantly for me, give our squad to Bellamy or Sheens, and I reckon we'd be playing as a team instead of a bunch of talented youngsters and no-s-youngsters wondering what the f**k is going on.

Sheens' three-odd finals series in 17 years tends to disagree.

I agree Sheens is a myth if there has ever been one!!

I don't think that Henjak is as bad as some people are making out, but you have to wonder whether he is the right coach for the Broncos at this point in time.

Right now we have the most inexperienced team in our history, and a coach with only one year under his belt. It's only logical to assume that the unit would be more successful if at least one of those components had some experience to call on when times got tough.

I'm happy to give Henjak more time, at least until the steady flow of injuries calms down and the team gets some stability, but maybe that's because I accepted pretty early on that this was not going to be our year [icon_shru

I can understand that people want him gone, but I'm not sure how people can put ALL the blame on Henjak. In my opinion, he is only partly to blame for the disaster that is this season. Players, administration, the whole coaching team and just damn bad luck have all played a role. The worst thing is the timing - they have all hit rock bottom at the same time.

Henjak is certainly not 100% to blame. The injuries have really destroyed our season. Winning is not really everything and I think most of us knew we wouldn't really be a shit at a premiership this season. That is not to say we should lose to the likes of the Knights and Warriors on our home turf. It is ok to lose if we are playing good football defending as a team and following a quality game plan. I feel we have done none of the above this season.

What experience does Henjak have, aside from his current job ?? Did he coach lower grades in the past ?? Has he done an 'apprenticeship' as such ?...I don't know if he had but did he have a proven record as a coach previous to his appointment as head coach of Brisbane ??......I know Bellamy served as an understudy to Bennett and learnt enough to become a great success. just curious.

Henjak served at the Broncos as assistant coach and reserve grade coach for about 10 years in the 90s/early 00s, then left for a few years and came back in 2006 after Bennett sacked his staff in 2005.

Thankyou...what was his record like as reserve grade coach, was he a success ? I understand reserve grade is a grade where overall position at seasons end is not necessarily a reflection of a coachs ability. Bit hard to have much in the way of combinations with all the chopping and changing.

T. Sheens would work wonders for our young inexperienced Broncos outfit.

Somebody made the point above, that with such an inexperienced team, we need an experienced coach to get them through this, and so far, Henjak isn't the man to do that with only 2 years NRL experience under his belt.

Dee said:
T. Sheens would work wonders for our young inexperienced Broncos outfit.

Somebody made the point above, that with such an inexperienced team, we need an experienced coach to get them through this, and so far, Henjak isn't the man to do that with only 2 years NRL experience under his belt.

Tim Sheens is a massive myth IMO.

Really, a myth?
Why do you say that?

He's won a few premierships, coached at the top level (Australian sides etc.)

He's no Wayne Bennett, but I rate him.

Dee said:
Really, a myth?
Why do you say that?

He had most success with Canberra with his "go out and play" game plan. It worked when you had Daley, Stuart, Clyde, Belcher, Lazarus, Mullins etc etc etc.

Funnily enough, the next success came in 2005 when his game plan was "give it to Benji".

Dee said:
Really, a myth?
Why do you say that?

I can't believe he is coaching the Australian side TBH. 2005 was his golden year what has he done since.

Yes, but the coach still has to instill a game plan and a structure of attack and defence.

No team can come out and just "play" and hope for the best, even with a team full of superstar players.
More than likely they will win alot of games, but you can't win premierships just based on "go out and play" or "give it to Benji".

Dee said:
Yes, but the coach still has to instill a game plan and a structure of attack and defence.

No team can come out and just "play" and hope for the best, even with a team full of superstar players.
More than likely they will win alot of games, but you can't win premierships just based on "go out and play" or "give it to Benji".

Yes it can, and it does.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.