What can we say at the moment?

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Dee said:
Yes, but the coach still has to instill a game plan and a structure of attack and defence.

No team can come out and just "play" and hope for the best, even with a team full of superstar players.
More than likely they will win alot of games, but you can't win premierships just based on "go out and play" or "give it to Benji".

2006!!

Dee

Dee

QCup Player
Apr 30, 2010
We had a structure and game plan in 2006.

Dee

Dee

QCup Player
Apr 30, 2010
Berrigan from dummy half with alot of runners.
The back line movement to the left with K. Hunt was developed in 2006.
Kicking early in the tackle count.
Great kicking game.
Keep them in their half.
Ball control.
Not giving any any penanlties by laying in the tackle.
etc. etc.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Dee said:
Berrigan from dummy half with alot of runners.
The back line movement to the left with K. Hunt was developed in 2006.
Kicking early in the tackle count.
Great kicking game.
Keep them in their half.
Ball control.
Not giving any any penanlties by laying in the tackle.
etc. etc.

That is called doing the Basics right!

Dee

Dee

QCup Player
Apr 30, 2010
Well, doing the basics right is a plan.
We sure as hell aren't doing it this season, lol.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Hence why it only works with a team full of decent players.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Nashy said:

still play better if you do the basics right regardless of who is in the team.

Dee

Dee

QCup Player
Apr 30, 2010
And i dare say, if a player cannot do the basic things right, like hold a ball, catch a pass etc. etc.
Then they shouldn't even be playing.
Every player makes a mistake, even the great ones, that's fine, but if it's on a regular basis, then they don't belong in the side.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
I agree with principle Dee, just becomes hard to carry it out when you have a heap of injuries and a heap of young players in the squad

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Nashy said:

Actually no, it can work with any team. The idea behind that basic game plan is to make some ground with the ball and try and control field position. The more possession you have in attack the more chance you have to score, and the less chance they have.

Even an average attacking side is a fair shot at scoring a try if you have 3 or 4 sets on the opponent's line. Even the best defences crack.

The problem the Broncos have in 2010 is that they don't have any decent defence. Therefore even if they do get a decent set and kick away, the opposition has absolutely no trouble getting out of their half and putting the Broncos under pressure.

In 2006 the Broncos did well to make it at least to half way, get a kick roughly to the try line and then pin the opposition in the 30-40m zone, forcing them to kick long.

2010 model Broncos either let them make an easy 10-15 metres on every hit up, or give away a penalty for being offside/not square/holding down. And the defence is almost completely incapable of holding out more than 1 set on the line.

Then when the Broncos do get to attack they are so poor at getting repeat sets. Locky seems to rarely get a grubber in goal. Hunt hasn't done it yet to my knowledge. Wallace is the best in the club at it but I don't think even he managed it too often prior to getting injured. And McCullough isn't a good kicker just yet.

Plan B, the cross field bomb to Folau, isn't being used much and when it is, the kicks aren't on target, either too deep allowing the defence to defuse it easily, or too short, allowing the defence to wait for someone to catch it then pummel them.

Basics. It's the basics the Broncos of 2010 are struggling with. And really there's no excuse for it, because any kid who has been graded should know how to make a hit up, defend, chase a kick etc. And you know what? I blame the crap standard of the Toyota Cup for half of these problems. It's U20s we blood into the top grade, and seriously, if you don't score off a set of six in that comp then you're doing something wrong. There's no need to build pressure. No need to learn to absorb pressure. So it's totally foreign to them when they step up to first grade.

And it seems nobody is coaching these kids in these basics so the game plan can work.

It's a total and utter shamozzle!

Dee

Dee

QCup Player
Apr 30, 2010
Absolutely spot on post Coxy, I agree with everything you said.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
While I reckon the seasons gone I can see us winning again at better than 50% this year. Irrespective of the anti Wallace groups opinion I think we are a greatly improved side with Wallace back and fit. His form along with the team in general were somewhat patchy at seasons start but nothing unusual for most teams. Rarely do we see consistency of performance over the first ten to thirteen weeks from any individual. A team may win consistently with solid performance across the thirteen on the field sometimes masking average form by the single player.

I think our team is trying because the commitment to run hard is there and a real desire to sting in defence is present most of the time. What appears to be missing is a Stagg type player or better still two rock solid tackling machines. We miss Wallaces contribution in defence which I think is under-valued by some here. I'm not saying he's a saviour but improvement will happen this season as some injured troops return. Like to hear from Sims too, he has enough talent but I would like to know his thoughts.

Dee

Dee

QCup Player
Apr 30, 2010
I agree that Wallace isn't THAT bad. His defense is much better than his attacking game and that is what we miss when he's gone - his defense.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I've been a fan of Wallace for some time( pre Brisbane ) and I believe he's quality in all departments. If he fires and the rest are contributing ( even without shining ) then Brisbane can be truly competitive with the majority of teams. Before he came to Brisbane he played some absolute blinders for Penrith single-handedly keeping them in the game. I may be wrong but if I am on this one then I'm in good company, there's plenty who rate him and he would be sort after in the market place. Like I said though earlier, not the saviour or only hope but welcome back when he's available.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Huge. said:
I've been a fan of Wallace for some time( pre Brisbane ) and I believe he's quality in all departments. If he fires and the rest are contributing ( even without shining ) then Brisbane can be truly competitive with the majority of teams. Before he came to Brisbane he played some absolute blinders for Penrith single-handedly keeping them in the game. I may be wrong but if I am on this one then I'm in good company, there's plenty who rate him and he would be sort after in the market place. Like I said though earlier, not the saviour or only hope but welcome back when he's available.
+1. I find I'm agreeing with you a lot lately :P You're a quality poster when you are not arguing.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I have a rare ability to irritate. Those that know me well though find me irritating :!: _woohoo_

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • easybreezy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.