VOTE What hurt worse; 2015 GF or the spoon?

Which hurt more?

• 2015 GF

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • 2020 season

Votes: 19 21.1%

• Total voters
To answer OP

The failure is one and the same. We've been cucked by the Cowboys so many times.

2012 - Cowboys knock us out, end Petero's career.
2014 - Cowboys knock us out
2015 - Cowboys win GF, end Hodges' career
2016 - Cowboys knock us out, end Parker's career
2020 - Cowboys deliver us the spoon in the last game of the season

They own us just as much as the Storm lol

Last edited:
Brisbane were lucky to make the finals in 2012 and 2014, nobody expected them to do anything those years.

The Cowboys were one of the few teams the Broncos beat, so if anything they nearly helped them avoid the spoon.

They've got nothing on Melbourne.

With the words in front of us, is anyone daring enough to try to spin it, or should we wait for another thread in a weeks time?
Nothing wrong necessarily with comments but there would have been less haters, and I’m sure Newcastle fans would agree, if he didn’t play like such a dog. He makes it sound like all the criticisms fans have of him are just big meanies he needs to shut out, but some fans criticisms of him are very very reasonable. He was so bad at Newcastle and at his later years here that he deserved a lot of this shit he copped (obviously not the more extreme personal comments). Not just bad like Josh Reynolds bad who tries his guts out but just can’t cut it, or Maranta who is just a bumbling mess. He played like he didn’t give a shit and often failed to attempt even the most basic requirements of his job...but boo hoo social media is bad.

Nothing wrong necessarily with comments but there would have been less haters, and I’m sure Newcastle fans would agree, if he didn’t play like such a dog. He makes it sound like all the criticisms fans have of him are just big meanies he needs to shut out, but some fans criticisms of him are very very reasonable. He was so bad at Newcastle and at his later years here that he deserved a lot of this shit he copped (obviously not the more extreme personal comments). Not just bad like Josh Reynolds bad who tries his guts out but just can’t cut it, or Maranta who is just a bumbling mess. He played like he didn’t give a shit and often failed to attempt even the most basic requirements of his job...but boo hoo social media is bad.

Yep.

(a bit more) Context

theshed said:
Nothing wrong necessarily with comments but there would have been less haters, and I’m sure Newcastle fans would agree, if he didn’t play like such a dog.

Then criticise him for that.

Taking what he said, distorting it and spamming that version is misleading.

Then criticise him for that.

Taking what he said, distorting it and spamming that version is misleading.
Well I just think it should also be taken into account when speaking about context around the quote.

Almost the entire fan base of two clubs he was at unanimously disliked him. That’s why I think it was not the smartest thing to say publicly during your clubs worst season in history, one of TH worst seasons in NRL history. He completely dismissed the feelings of the fans, the people who ultimately pay his bills.

“i only focus on making myself, my coach, and my team mates happy” okay, **** everyone who emotionally invest in the sport you play, who allow you to be extremely well paid instead of just another weekend warrior. Also, when you’re playing like shit, you’re team is getting flogged every week and your screaming toward last place, maybe you should listen to some of the fans, or the expert commentators, or ex players and team mates who are all saying you’re done,

He nailed it when he described himself as oblivious.

For the record I don’t really care how he felt about the game, I just wanted him to leave. The baby reveal thing I don’t really care about either because nothing he does annoys me more than the fact he was even still in the team, but I can understand why people found it insensitive

Last edited:
And I doubt he cares about the reasonable fans, but even on here there’s a bunch of absolute pricks who take things way too far and seem to think it’s ok because he played badly at the back end of his career.

He completely dismissed the feelings of the fans, the people who ultimately pay his bills.

No, he said he used to read everything on social media. That's a waste of time and you're hardly going to find anything constructive - just ask most YouTubers about their comments section. Nobody reads everything on social media, clearly you don't otherwise you'd have known Darius said this last year.

“i only focus on making myself, my coach, and my team mates happy”

He didn't say that.

This is what he said.

“I don’t read anything on social media. I am really oblivious to a lot of it to be honest.” Boyd said he learned not to listen to the haters thanks to lessons learned from his time at Newcastle where he cut short his stint back in 2014 and visited a mental health facility that turned around his career.

“I used to do the opposite six years ago and look at social media when I was going through some struggles with mental health,” Boyd said. “I was reading everything which is the worst thing that you can do. “I learned that it is only a game. And I learned I just have to please my teammates, myself and my coach - that’s all I can do.”

Keep in mind, that's after the journalist has already put their spin on it and made the story as provocative as possible.

It's an admission he doesn't read social media and why he doesn't.

Well I just think it should also be taken into account when speaking about context around the quote.

Almost the entire fan base of two clubs he was at unanimously disliked him. That’s why I think it was not the smartest thing to say publicly during your clubs worst season in history, one of TH worst seasons in NRL history. He completely dismissed the feelings of the fans, the people who ultimately pay his bills.

“i only focus on making myself, my coach, and my team mates happy” okay, **** everyone who emotionally invest in the sport you play, who allow you to be extremely well paid instead of just another weekend warrior. Also, when you’re playing like shit, you’re team is getting flogged every week and your screaming toward last place, maybe you should listen to some of the fans, or the expert commentators, or ex players and team mates who are all saying you’re done,

He nailed it when he described himself as oblivious.

For the record I don’t really care how he felt about the game, I just wanted him to leave. The baby reveal thing I don’t really care about either because nothing he does annoys me more than the fact he was even still in the team, but I can understand why people found it insensitive

Absolutely, 100% spot on. Context is everything, and that means it's not simply or just what you say, it's the bigger picture which gives an utterance it's real, true meaning, and it's why you say what you say, a response to something which also has meaning and relevance. An utterance does not live in a vacuum.

I can only imagine the response on here if Karl Morris said "it's just a game", maybe in part responding to the vitriol on here about him, about signing Seibold, and our 2020 season.

Equally, about the social media stuff, given Boyd's wife is a self confessed social media "influencer" and posts frequently, anyone who believes Darbs doesn't know know what is going on is delusional. He doesn't need to read social media, his wife does.

As I said, in and out of context, that comment is entirely disingenuous, and a slap in the face to loyal, passionate fans where supporting their beloved club is way more than following "just a game".

Last edited:
No, he said he used to read everything on social media. That's a waste of time and you're hardly going to find anything constructive - just ask most YouTubers about their comments section. Nobody reads everything on social media, clearly you don't otherwise you'd have known Darius said this last year.

He didn't say that.

This is what he said.

“I don’t read anything on social media. I am really oblivious to a lot of it to be honest.” Boyd said he learned not to listen to the haters thanks to lessons learned from his time at Newcastle where he cut short his stint back in 2014 and visited a mental health facility that turned around his career.

“I used to do the opposite six years ago and look at social media when I was going through some struggles with mental health,” Boyd said. “I was reading everything which is the worst thing that you can do. “I learned that it is only a game. And I learned I just have to please my teammates, myself and my coach - that’s all I can do.”

Keep in mind, that's after the journalist has already put their spin on it and made the story as provocative as possible.

It's an admission he doesn't read social media and why he doesn't.

And I learned I just have to please my teammates, myself and my coach - that’s all I can do.”

This is the bit I was referring to though. Alex Glenn said some similar things this season too. That’s not all he can do, he’s accountable on some level to the fans, and a good captain and club representative would have acknowledged that, apologised etc. Not discuss how it’s just a game and only worries about his teammates coach and self.

I don’t care that much really; but I don’t think should pretend it was completely innocuous either.

And I learned I just have to please my teammates, myself and my coach - that’s all I can do.”

This is the bit I was referring to though. Alex Glenn said some similar things this season too. That’s not all he can do, he’s accountable on some level to the fans, and a good captain and club representative would have acknowledged that, apologised etc. Not discuss how it’s just a game and only worries about his teammates coach and self.

I don’t care that much really; but I don’t think should pretend it was completely innocuous either.

Which was in reference to the first part of the statement and the story that Boyd doesn't read social media because he admitted he used to read everything.

Again, I understand why people on here distort the quote and add their own spin to it but the story is simply that he doesn't engage with social media. If what Alex Glenn said is true and players were told to harm themselves then you can see why.

I agree, you shouldn't care because it's a non-story that people on here have whipped up to serve their own agendas.

Its pretty bloody obvious that what Boyd said would not be received well by fans. It shows a level of disregard for a loyal fan base and a lack accountability imo. Its just typical Boyd as far as I'm concerned. His sentiments mirrored his output on the field. Hopefully our young leaders have not been infected by his horrible perspective.

The GF. That shit ruined me for a couple of seasons.

The last 10 minutes I had that sick feeling in my gut, as we continued to kick into touch. I remember just looking down at my shoes a lot, thinking ****, please play some footy.

Oh God that feeling of euphoria when Milford stripped the ball with 80 seconds or so left was fucking mint! That was the GF right there.

Being seated in the opposite corner from the Feldt try and watching Blair and Macca (I think) almost tackle JT right in front of me, I remember screaming/pleading 'just fucking tackle him'. I remember thinking, we're about to win the GF, it was almost the same finish and scoreline as the first finals game 3 weeks earlier.

My vision was a bit obscured for the final play, I didn't see the flick pass, but burnt into my brain is being in line with the try line, looking straight across the line, hearing the siren and seeing a flash of white (the ball) being planted. I can't actually remember when the siren went but in my head they were simultaneous.

I turned to the woman (cowboys supporter, didn't know her) next to me and we both just looked at each other with mouths wide open screaming in shock. My cowboys supporting mate on the other side of me had disappeared into a crowd of people going mental.

My feelings after that were just being sad for Hunt. I knew we would lose whether he kicked the goal or not.

****, what a night.

Active Now

• azza.79
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • lynx000
  • Jazza
  • broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  • bb_gun
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Sproj
  • NSW stables
  • The True King
  • Fozz
  • kman
  • Santa
  • heartly87
  • Culhwch
  • Broncosgirl
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.