What is happening at the Broncos?

Captaincy/leadership (also attach motivation and enthusiasm)
Halves
Direction.

P
Captaincy/leadership (also attach motivation and enthusiasm)
Halves
Direction.
Pretty much nailed it.

If they brought Walters in to coach the halves, he is failing miserably. But then again, so is our forwards coach and our defensive coach. Like I said after the first round, what have they been doing all off-season? This is utter tripe that is being delivered by them.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing (and in some cases it wasn't possible) but which of these players in reality should have been kept:

1. Norman
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Moga
5. Gagai
6. Hunt
7. Taylor
8. Wallace
9. Granville
10. Ese'ese
11. Hipgrave
12. Blair
13. Arrow

I've probably forgotten a few. There are a number in there who are absolute no-brainers to have gotten rid of but there more than a couple who really should have been kept.

Sims - Ese'ese
Thaiday - Arrow
No one - Taylor
No one - Gagai

Hindsight is a wonderful thing (and in some cases it wasn't possible) but which of these players in reality should have been kept:

1. Norman
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Moga
5. Gagai
6. Hunt
7. Taylor
8. Wallace
9. Granville
10. Ese'ese
11. Hipgrave
12. Blair
13. Arrow

I've probably forgotten a few. There are a number in there who are absolute no-brainers to have gotten rid of but there more than a couple who really should have been kept.

Sims - Ese'ese
Thaiday - Arrow
No one - Taylor
No one - Gagai

Gagai was ages ago and it was a line in the sand moment, so I have no issue with that. Moga, Granville, Hipgrave and Blair I have no issue with either. But losing Blair after Wallace compounded the issue.

I think Hunt was out of our hands. We went all in on Milford and we couldn't afford to match what St George were paying and to be honest, on his play here he was not worth it. The move has probably proved very beneficial for Ben both financially and in terms of his form. Whether that continues or whether he returns to the Hunt we know and love we will have to wait and see.

But Wallace, Arrow and Taylor were definite mistakes in hindsight, but as has been discussed ad nauseum on here, you would have had to be Nostradamus to have foreseen what has occurred with our halves.

I really think we just need a decent halfback that’s all this side needs honestly. We need a half to put those kicks in and get the runners off him a bit wider than dummy half. Milford would excel if he can just play his natural game instead of being a halfback too.

The knik project has failed and it's dragging down Milford too. Only 1 out 4 for our spine is firing and that is a massive problem. Bennett needs to start changing things up and stop thinking she'll be right otherwise we'll be lucky to avoid the spoon.

I really think we just need a decent halfback that’s all this side needs honestly. We need a half to put those kicks in and get the runners off him a bit wider than dummy half. Milford would excel if he can just play his natural game instead of being a halfback too.
Totally agree with this. A traditional halfback who carries out his duties efficiently and consistently. It could improve things immediately. Even a debutant like Murphy, Dargan or Scarlett would be a vast improvement on Kodi who is totally lost out there and doesn't contain the skills nor the smarts to ever be an effective #7. He is by far the worst halfback to ever wear a Bronco jersey and he knows it. Bennett knows it too but I don't think he is keen on ending the kid's career. Soon, he will have no choice.

Wayne's going to have to admit he was wrong about Nikorima at 7 soon. And he's stubborn and has a big ego so it could still be weeks until admits this.

1. Norman
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Moga
5. Gagai
6. Hunt
7. Taylor
8. Wallace
9. Granville
10. Ese'ese
11. Hipgrave
12. Blair
13. Arrow

Sims - Ese'ese
Thaiday - Arrow
No one - Taylor
No one - Gagai

A lot of those players are great now but realistically a lot of them was the right thing to do at the time.

1.Norman was being an absolute diva and had a terrible attitude (though it’d be hard not to have a bad attitude under hook).

2. Hoffman whinged about playing anywhere but the only position he was any good at, wing. Now he even is terrible on the wing. Oates, Kahu, and potentially Isaako are far better options.

3. Copley seems to outplay Roberts every time they play but he isn’t half the player Roberts should be. The definition of average.

4. Moga’s decision onfield decision making is the angriest a bronco has made me since
the affermentioned Hoffman was our 5/8th. Incredible athlete who might be a good footballer one day but it wasn’t a big loss, especially now his knees have exploded for the 4th time. Oppa and Bird are better options (Bird’s price mot considered).

5. Gaga is a legitimate talent and a big loss but he had behaviour issues and most of this bird praised Hook for his bravery in putting club culture above an individual. May have been harsh in retrospect but I get the decision.

6. Hunt...a large portion of this site was bagging him and wanted him gone. He got dropped from first grade in his final season here and the market dictated his price tag to be over a million doll hairs. We probably should have not spent a mil on an overweight centre and used that money to resign Oppa and Hunt but I’m no Super coach.

7. Taylor similar story to Hunt but with the added factor that we thought we had Hunt wrapped up. Losing Hunt may have come from the same arrogance that lost us Bellamy years ago. Obviously we would be far better off with either of these players in our team.

This is where it starts getting harder to make sense of.

How we ended up with (a talented no doubt but) completely inexperienced starting prop pairing is mind blowing. They had less than 20 games between them. We definitely should have kept Wallace over Blair (last year), the shitter version of Blair that is Sims, a year over done Thaiday, and the low ceiling Offa. Arrow is in that same boat. Esse Esse was great and a favourite player of mine last year but he got big deal so I get losing him. I have a feeling Wallace and Arrow would have stayed if we just offered them a start.

8. Lodge —-> 8. McGuire
9. Macca —-> 9. Macca
10. TPJ. —-> 10. Wallace
11. Glenn —> 11. Glenn
12. Gillett —> 12. Gillett
13. McGuire > 13. Arrow

14. Oppa —> 14. TPJ
15. Thaiday. 15. Lodge
16. Offa. —> 16. Sims
17. Sims —> 17. Offa

That is far more respectable forward pack than the mess we have at the moment.

6. Hunt...a large portion of this site was bagging him and wanted him gone. He got dropped from first grade in his final season here and the market dictated his price tag to be over a million doll hairs. We probably should have not spent a mil on an overweight centre and used that money to resign Oppa and Hunt but I’m no Super coach.

Not re-signing Hunt and choosing to spend big money on Bird instead is likely to be the decisions that end Bennett's Broncos career for good imo.

That and re-signing Boyd for 4 YEARS on over $500,000 pa. Jesus. He's losing it.

Last edited:
I can guarantee one thing, if Hunt leads the Dragons to a premiership, the mood around here is going to be the worst in the sites history. Myself personally, I will just be livid at the man himself.

It's starting to look like a Roosters type clean up is on the cards for next year. Re-sign Lodge and TPJ immediately, flick a few under performers/ over rated blokes, sign a big name player like Izzy, Khunt, or both to get the fanbase excited (I don't think there's a big name HB off contract, and Khunt is apparently a really good kicker now according to my mates who watch Union. I wouldn't know, I don't watch the shit).

Also sign a budget HB like Hoko as a Green-type stop gap for 1-2 years until the Titans go bankrupt, or Ash wants to come back, or we develop a good HB. Not going after Hoko or Pearce for this season was dumb as ****. If we lose Lodge we should go hard at Papa.

On another note, Gillett has looked really average the opening four weeks.

I can guarantee one thing, if Hunt leads the Dragons to a premiership, the mood around here is going to be the worst in the sites history. Myself personally, I will just be livid at the man himself.

Hindsight is 20/20. If we re-signed Hunt on over a million dollars on the back of the SHIT he dished up post 2015 I may have had an aneurysm from pure, unbridled rage. He's getting carried by Widdop at St George anyway.

EDIT: random drug tests are in order on Saturday/ Sunday mornings for blokes we want to get rid of who are on long contracts.

Not re-signing Hunt and choosing to spend big money on Bird instead is likely to be the decisions that end Bennett's Broncos career for good imo.

That and re-signing Boyd for 4 YEARS on over $500,000 pa. Jesus. He's losing it.

They were baffling decisions that’s for sure. Bennett deserves the rest of the season before I start judging him too harshly but if we keep going the way we are, I hope for a Boyd early retirement, and Kevin Walters to take over in 2019.

Hindsight is 20/20. If we re-signed Hunt on over a million dollars on the back of the SHIT he dished up post 2015 I may have had an aneurysm from pure, unbridled rage. He's getting carried by Widdop at St George anyway.

EDIT: random drug tests are in order on Saturday/ Sunday mornings for blokes we want to get rid of who are on long contracts.

I'm not sure why the drug tests are necessary. If I were in charge of the club, a form clause would be included in every long term contract. If you are on a 800k+ a year and you're playing like our mob last night, your contract is going in the shredder.

He's actually playing really well and they are complementing each other perfectly.

Doesn't change the fact that he was horrid last year. Widdop is the in form half in the comp and doing most of the work kicking wise, and the Dragons pack is dominating. If he's picked for origin I suspect we'll see the real Hunt.

I'm not sure why the drug tests are necessary. If I were in charge of the club, a form clause would be included in every long term contract. If you are on a 800k+ a year and you're playing like our mob last night, your contract is going in the shredder.

Drug tests are a necessity if we're modeling a rebuild off the roosters.

Drug tests are a necessity if we're modeling a rebuild off the roosters.

I know shit is crook in Tobruk for us but I'd rather give away the game altogether than sink to the lows of the Roosters.

Nobody would sign that contract

Active Now

• Morkel
  • mrslong
  • Kev_Guz
  • john1420
  • broncsgoat
  • Skyblues87
  • Mister Wright
  • bb_gun
  • Fozz
  • Manifesto
  • KateBroncos1812
  • mrtij
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Stix
  • Redux
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.