What is happening at the Broncos?

Every coach has a distinct style, who are these coaches that completely switch tactical plans all the time? Hasler? Stuart? Bellamy? Maguire? Cleary? Kearney? Flannagan?

I'm struggling to think of any coaches who don't have a distinct style and play to it. Bennett has and does change his game plan to suit the players, but he still has a distinct style, as any coach has. Just like we've played different styles of footy through the last 15-20 years under him, although following the same basic fundamentals.

An I don't know what you mean about "hail Bennett" agenda, I am literally arguing your points, not you. You wanted to disregard Bennett's time at St George since it's inconvenient to your point of a Bennett team being a benchmark this millennium, I think it's absurd to cut those two years out simply because they inconvenience your point.

He has coached teams to be the benchmark this millennium, you can't say he hasn't and his time at St George doesn't count.
Sure, calling it an anti-Bennett agenda is arguing my points... cool story. :superhappythumbsup:

Of course every coach has his own style. Some are more flexible than others, some are more daring, some are more complex, some more versatile and some are more conservative.
Wayne's isn't complex, flexible or versatile. It's quite simple, very conservative and relies on grinding relentless defense, great kicking game and the famous fullback overlap play (which Boyd is certainly very good at, as Khunt was before him), as the Dragons of 2010 proved.

Regardless of its effectiveness with the right players, it's also boring and ugly (as the Dragons of 2010 also proved), which I've always had an issue with, even in 2006, when we pulled that magnificent premiership trick!

It clearly doesn't suit our team, and I haven't seen any evidence of him changing his game plan to suit his roster, now or ever really.

With a lot of the talk of Boyd and his effort at fullback, thought I'd share this Reddit post

The issue people are having, even if he is doing pretty good, is that it could be a whole lot better. His hesitation and reluctance to attack the bouncing ball probably robs the team of another 10-15 and on Thursday resulted in a forced drop out. Being safe is fine but there's a lot of times he just doesn't want a bar of it.

The issue people are having, even if he is doing pretty good, is that it could be a whole lot better. His hesitation and reluctance to attack the bouncing ball probably robs the team of another 10-15 and on Thursday resulted in a forced drop out. Being safe is fine but there's a lot of times he just doesn't want a bar of it.
He was playing the same at the Knights just before he left. No confidence...Cat like.
He just needs to hang in there at moment and play himself right. As long as his body doesn't completely shit itself I'm confident he'll come good this season.

Sure, calling it an anti-Bennett agenda is arguing my points... cool story. :superhappythumbsup:

Of course every coach has his own style. Some are more flexible than others, some are more daring, some are more complex, some more versatile and some are more conservative.
Wayne's isn't complex, flexible or versatile. It's quite simple, very conservative and relies on grinding relentless defense, great kicking game and the famous fullback overlap play (which Boyd is certainly very good at, as Khunt was before him), as the Dragons of 2010 proved.

Regardless of its effectiveness with the right players, it's also boring and ugly (as the Dragons of 2010 also proved), which I've always had an issue with, even in 2006, when we pulled that magnificent premiership trick!

It clearly doesn't suit our team, and I haven't seen any evidence of him changing his game plan to suit his roster, now or ever really.

By that same logic, we should steer clear of Bellamy. Not only has he played the exact same style his entire career, he has played the exact same players, or type of players surrounding the long-termers. Bellamy would be useless with our roster.

Actually, since all of that is what Bennett did with the Dragons, Bellamy should not be considered a benchmark coach of this millennia either. Add in the cheating, it’s surprising he still has a job.

He was playing the same at the Knights just before he left. No confidence...Cat like.
He just needs to hang in there at moment and play himself right. As long as his body doesn't completely shit itself I'm confident he'll come good this season.
He's better than what he has shown so far this season, but he only has had 2 great years over his Fullback career so far, with the rest being pretty average, and when I say average, I mean well outside the top 5 fullbacks in each respective year outside of those 2.

He did attack the ball, though. Because of the slippery conditions he lost control of it backwards.

He's better than what he has shown so far this season, but he only has had 2 great years over his Fullback career so far, with the rest being pretty average, and when I say average, I mean well outside the top 5 fullbacks in each respective year outside of those 2.

The rest of his years being average?

He was very good in all of his years at the Dragons. He was well in the top 5 in 2011, arguably one of the competition's best.

By that same logic, we should steer clear of Bellamy. Not only has he played the exact same style his entire career, he has played the exact same players, or type of players surrounding the long-termers. Bellamy would be useless with our roster.

Actually, since all of that is what Bennett did with the Dragons, Bellamy should not be considered a benchmark coach of this millennia either. Add in the cheating, it’s surprising he still has a job.
Well, short of any actual logic or sense, at least your story has dragons. :superhappythumbsup:

The rest of his years being average?

He was very good in all of his years at the Dragons. He was well in the top 5 in 2011, arguably one of the competition's best.
No he wasn't.

Well, short of any actual logic or sense, at least your story has dragons. :superhappythumbsup:

Correct - it is the logic you’ve used to try to erase Bennett’s history.

Then you need to watch those games again to refresh your memory.

You’re kidding yourself if he wasn’t in the top 5.
LOL, I'm not going to watch the dragqueens games of 2011, or any other year for that matter.

His stats dropped considerably after 2010, although he didn't go to the crappy Newcastle or 2018 levels.

Correct - it is the logic you’ve used to try to erase Bennett’s history.
Sure, whatever you say. I'm not going to play the misrepresentation and word twisting game with you.

Something that I like about Bellamy's teams is that they are almost always at least 85%, they are so well structured and they are excellent at analysing the opposition (games against us, 2012 GF come to mind). I wonder how much of that is Cam Smith though. He'd be my number one target in some kind of coaching role with a long term goal as a head coach.

Sure, whatever you say. I'm not going to play the misrepresentation and word twisting game with you.

Haha, call it what you want. It is literally the reasoning you’ve used to try to diminish Bennett’s achievements. When it’s applied elsewhere, it’s proven to be bullshit.

Haha, call it what you want. It is literally the reasoning you’ve used to try to diminish Bennett’s achievements. When it’s applied elsewhere, it’s proven to be bullshit.
And there it is. See, I never tried to diminish Bennett's achievements, but that's all you sycophants see anyway.

Yes, because they had the perfect roster for Bennett's game plan. We don't and neither did any Broncos team!
He tried it with Newcastle too, but that went really pear shaped for all kinds of reasons.

Don't let that get in the way of your rant though... :superhappythumbsup:

This was you trying to diminish Bennett’s achievements, and his coaching ability, by saying that his time at the Dragons, winning a premiership and two minor premierships, proves he is only able to achieve success with a certain type of team and certain type of game plan.

The exact same accusation should therefore be thrown at Bellamy, as he too has only coached the one style and one type of team his entire career.

Hence, Bellamy would therefore be no better qualified to coach the current Broncos, as neither coach has success with our type of team.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Fitzy
  • Jedhead
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.