What is happening at the Broncos?

And there it is. See, I never tried to diminish Bennett's achievements, but that's all you sycophants see anyway.

Sycophant:
a self-seeking, servile flatterer; fawning parasite.

Someone that disagrees with you is a slave/parasite?

Cooper and Gasnier in the centers, Boyd (at his best) at fullback, Morris on the wing. Hornby and Soward were hardly reserve graders. That is a very good backline. I couldn't think who was in the forwards but doing due diligence, according to Wikipedia, Weyman, Young, Costigan, Scott, Creagh, Smith and Merrin and Prior on the bench. A very good team.
No, the superstars in every position, the whole of nsw to pick from, 10 origin players, 12 internationals , you know the spiel. Those names are only up in the spotlight because WB put them there, coached them to there. Matt Prior was a kid, not the premiership winner he is now. Weyman went from journeyman to origin/international because of WBs coaching.
Dean Young went from first grader to making the four nations tour, again under WBs coaching. Similarly, with Beau Scott he went from average first grader to rep honours. In short, WB had some decent players and some very average players including the tackle shy Soward and a plodding Hornby but somehow they managed to do what ironically only the Broncos before them had done, that is win the minor premiership, the premiership and the World Club Challenge.

WB had some decent players alright, just like every other team. What he didn't have is the superstars in every position as so many claim, forgetting that when they were selected for superstar status they had put in the performances to get them there.

Last edited:
This was you trying to diminish Bennett’s achievements, and his coaching ability, by saying that his time at the Dragons, winning a premiership and two minor premierships, proves he is only able to achieve success with a certain type of team and certain type of game plan.

The exact same accusation should therefore be thrown at Bellamy, as he too has only coached the one style and one type of team his entire career.

Hence, Bellamy would therefore be no better qualified to coach the current Broncos, as neither coach has success with our type of team.
Except Bellamy's teams have been consistently the competition benchmark and his tactics are not only much more flexible and complex, they are also much less dependant on a certain type of roster.
Not that you don't know that, but your intent here is clear, and it's definitely not about arguing the merits of the opinion, it's about defending your messiah through discredit of his critics, or in this case, me.
Nothing I haven't become used to unfortunately...

Sycophant:

I guess you could represent it like that, if your name is Morkel.
But no, that's just someone that relentlessly attacks anyone who criticises their idol, regardless of whether it's justified.

I think all coaches tend to stick to a style and tactics that work for them. There is an argument that the one coach that doesn't apply to is Bennet.
Who else in league has coached since the early eighties? Who else currently coaching has gone to the grand final with three different clubs and won them with two of them? Who else has been head coach of every major test playing national team? Who else has coached any of the current nrl coaches?
Finally who else could take a 2006 forward laden, backs bare to beat Melbourne and forwards shy 2015 team to grand final? I think he has shown some ability to adapt.
Criticise him for not having an organising half and failing to develop one and you may have merit. Criticise him for throwing the dice with bird and again you may have merit. Attack him for not changing strategy with players, 3/4 of the spine of which, took them to a gf and 30 seconds from a win and you may be on shaky ground.
They are winning games, not as many as we like or by as much as we'd like, but they are winning. Im certain Bennet has had it mentioned to him the difficencies of this team, but short of signing pierce or Carney what options has he really had (I for one am glad they were both overlooked).
He has shown overt loyalty to thaiday against many on here's wisdoms. So be it. It will not be thaiday that costs this team a win but the other 16 that play with him. His time is limited.
There are good signs with this team. Some strategies might not work against melbourne, but the other 15 teams seems to give us any fears to the point where we feel the need to chastise every loss as a failure of tactics rather than personnel.
The truth is no coach is perfect and making mistakes is part of the job. Bennet makes his share, it's just a smaller share than most.

Sycophant:

What is your relationship to WB? I find it fascinating, sometimes amusing sometimes annoying, how you won't tolerate anything short of complete and utter deference to WB.

He is a good coach but if you want us to believe he is a better coach than Bellamy you are clearly not looking at things objectively. His retention and recruitment decisions have been baffling. Makes me think he is not at the top of him game anymore. Like he is trying to prove he is still innovative but his innovations these days are going pear-shaped more often than not.

Except Bellamy's teams have been consistently the competition benchmark and his tactics are not only much more flexible and complex, they are also much less dependant on a certain type of roster
How can you say that with a straight face when he has had arguably the best spine in the history of the game for almost the entirety of his coaching career? Smith is one of the greatest to ever lace on a boot. You can maybe make that argument when Smith/Slater move on, but right now there is absolutely zero evidence to suggest he can adapt his game plan to different playing groups. He has had literally no significant change to the core part of his team for 15 years. Cronk is the first departure, and already they have went down a notch from looking unbeatable, to just being very good.

Not to mention he got embarrassed at origin level, by no less than the 3 superstars who have led him to premiership after premiership*, which is at the very least a bit of evidence that the players override his coaching ability is it not?

If he can adapt post Smith/Slater, he will cement himself as a truly great coach, if not, there will always be questions marks about whether he got carried by 3 truly once in a generation players, even if he did play a huge part in getting them to the top.

How can you say that with a straight face when he has had arguably the best spine in the history of the game for almost the entirety of his coaching career? Smith is one of the greatest to ever lace on a boot. You can maybe make that argument when Smith/Slater move on, but right now there is absolutely zero evidence to suggest he can adapt his game plan to different playing groups. He has had literally no significant change to the core part of his team for 15 years. Cronk is the first departure, and already they have went down a notch from looking unbeatable, to just being very good.

Not to mention he got embarrassed at origin level, by no less than the 3 superstars who have led him to premiership after premiership*, which is at the very least a bit of evidence that the players override his coaching ability is it not?

If he can adapt post Smith/Slater, he will cement himself as a truly great coach, if not, there will always be questions marks about whether he got carried by 3 truly once in a generation players, even if he did play a huge part in getting them to the top.
Not looking to take sides in this debate; but in trying to argue for Bennett (and at the same time, against Bellamy) you’ve essentially just documented Bennett’s coaching history.

In the 90’s he had the absolute cream of the crop in many positions and was very successful. In the 2000’s the success started to become less frequent and in the 2010’s the success has all but dried up (talking premierships, because let’s face it, that’s the only measure of success that isn’t subjective).

I don’t think anyone could argue that Bennett would have close to the record he has without Lockyer, Langer and Walters playing for long periods of time in spine positions.

One could even argue the players that made up the other positions in those teams were of a higher calibre than the respective Storm teams (Renouf, Sailor, Tuquri, Tallis, Webcke, Lazarus, Gilly, Thorn, Berrigan, Hodges - the list goes on).

Bennett has a great record, no doubt. There is also no doubting players love playing for him and he can get the very best out of most of them. So for that reason, for being so successful and for being at the top for so long he deserves nothing but respect. But to think it’s purely because he’s some sort of player-whisperer is foolish.

The players at his disposal have an enormous amount to do with it too, just like Bellamy and his success.

There is no doubt having Smith, Cronk and Slater has made a huge difference, just like it did for Bennett in his golden era of the 90's to have: Locky, Alfie, both Walters brothers and arguably not one, but two of the best forward packs ever assembled in the NRL, not to speak of the handy backs in Renouf, Tuqiri, Sailor, Hancock, Smith, Carne, etc...
Are you saying that Bennett got carried by those star studded teams?

Regardless, we're deviating from the point, which I assume was the whole point of this concerted deflection.

And the point is: Are the Broncos performing as well as they should? If not, why not, whose responsibility is it, and what could be improved?

[EDIT] I swear I had not read your reply before posting mine @JAHHW , you stole my thunder.

I haven't seen a single poster defend WB by writing he is without fault. No poster has stated he hasn't made mistakes. What we won't stand idly by for and allow is the idiotic notion that he has achieved his success solely on the back of elite players.

That claim was totally destroyed after his fantastic achievement at St George, taking an nrl average team to two minor premierships and winning a grand final. This single achievement, not accomplished by any St George team in the previous 31 years put that spurious claim in the shithouse where it belonged.

The WB deathriders amongst you make some valid claims about his perceived shortcomings but you also talk some absolute shit with it in feeble attempts to mask your outright and pathetic jealousy.

I haven't seen a single poster defend WB by writing he is without fault. No poster has stated he hasn't made mistakes. What we won't stand idly by for and allow is the idiotic notion that he has achieved his success solely on the back of elite players.

That claim was totally destroyed after his fantastic achievement at St George, taking an nrl average team to two minor premierships and winning a grand final. This single achievement, not accomplished by any St George team in the previous 31 years put that spurious claim in the shithouse where it belonged.

The WB deathriders amongst you make some valid claims about his perceived shortcomings but you also talk some absolute shit with it in feeble attempts to mask your outright and pathetic jealousy.

Well said !!

A lot of those elite players took unders to play for Wayne Bennett. Without him, its more than likely our star studded rosters wouldnt have been so star studded.

Costigan, Creagh, Young had all played Origin before WB went to the Dragons and Smith was considered one of the best backrowers in the game and was a NZ rep.

Young and creagh both played their first origin games while being coached by Wayne Bennett

This was at a time when making the NSW team was not exactly a big deal. Everyone was getting a go.

Ben Creagh.....Origin....LOL

creagh.gif

The WB sycophants amongst you make some valid claims about his perceived qualities, but you also talk some absolute shit with it in feeble attempts to mask your outright and pathetic idolatry.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Santa
  • Browny
  • Morkel
  • Alec
  • Nerd
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Skathen
  • Tmac
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Bish
  • mystico
  • Adammacca
  • Brocko
  • Ras
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Jazza
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.