What is the strongest team the Broncos can field in 2014 and 2015?

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
I'm a bit confused with the recruitment strategy we have taken. We now have a great number of fullbacks at our disposal, as opposed to the lack of proven halves...

With the likely signing of of K. Hunt, I'm not sure what will happen when Milford joins in 2015. I'm also on the fence about whether we should actually sign Cameron Smith at the expense of McCullough...

However in my opinion the strongest team we can field for 2014 is:

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh
6. K. Hunt
7. B. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday (Co-Captain)
13. Parker (Co-Captain)
14. Granville
15. Gillet
16. Kennedy
17. Hala

With Oates, Kahu, Copely, Vidot, Dodds, Mills, Stagg, Lowrie all pushing for a spot.

I personally think a B.Hunt/K.Hunt halves combination compliments each other perfectly, with Barba, Hunt and Hoffman switching between fullback throughout the game, keeping the opposition guessing. Due to playing AFL, K.Hunt's long kicking game is just what we are lacking and would greatly benefit from. He would be able to finish off a set, deep in their territory. Although he still needs to bulk up quite a bit, his defence is the strongest of all of the contenders for the five-eighth spot, and he always puts his body on the line. He could also offer direction and leadership, something we have also lacked post Locky's retirement.

B.Hunt will also improve a fair way from his brief stint at halfback last year. With a full pre season, and a few more games to get his combinations right, I think we'll get to witness the prodigious talent we saw in the NYC. In my opinion we just have to be patient, and he will develop into a quality halfback.

I also wanted to include Vidot on the wing, as he is big, strong and quite fast. He could start off our set with a strong carry, similar to what Uate does at the Knights. This would mean pushing Josh Hoffman to centre, and Reed to the bench, possibly as a mobile, roving, loose forward. Reed has looked quite strong in games in the backrow, and could play a similar role to Luke Lewis. However, the thing that worries me about Vidot, is his inconsistency and therefore I think the team above is probably the strongest, all round team we can field...

What do you guys reckon??

Last edited:
If hoffman really wants to leave, let him go or drop him.
I'd rather have Vidot on the wing assuming he has the passion and pride playing for the Broncos.
Otherwise I agree with that being our strongest side.

Well in my opinion, I don't think he really wants to leave. He's just disappointed, as any other player would be for losing their preferred position in the team for two years straight. Plus the recruitment of other fullbacks would have given him the impression that he's not wanted...

We all saw last year that despite being disappointed, Hoffman played with pride and passion. He was really one of few players, who played with commitment, and gave their all, week in week out despite the position he was playing, all for the Broncos club, the fans, and the rest of the team.

I think all this talk of him wanting to leave has been blown out of proportion, and if he wanted to leave, he would have been training in the pre season with another team.

I'm a bit torn over who I would have starting over Gillett and Glenn, but other than that, I would agree entirely with your team. Obviously there are still a few question marks over Yow Yeh, Hoffman, K. Hunt, and Kennedy, but as you said strongest possible side, so that can slide!

Well in my opinion, I don't think he really wants to leave. He's just disappointed, as any other player would be for losing their preferred position in the team for two years straight. Plus the recruitment of other fullbacks would have given him the impression that he's not wanted...

We all saw last year that despite being disappointed, Hoffman played with pride and passion. He was really one of few players, who played with commitment, and gave their all, week in week out despite the position he was playing, all for the Broncos club, the fans, and the rest of the team.

I think all this talk of him wanting to leave has been blown out of proportion, and if he wanted to leave, he would have been training in the pre season with another team.

Yeah he did, but this year those pictures during the world cup couldn't of meant nothing..
I know he didnt post them but he had to be aware of what it looked like.

Don't get me wrong, as long as he wants to be here and he plays where its best for the team then sweet.

I agree, I was also contemplating whether to place Gillett in the starting side over Glenn, based on their form last season. However, i think Glenn may be a more safer option to start with due to his defence, especially if he can get back to his 'hole running, top try-scoring forward form'.

I think Gillett is a real x factor type player that shouldn't be confined to one side of the field, and really causes trouble when the opposition gets tired. With his footwork, speed, strength and offload, he'll create a lot of attacking opportunities for the likes of Hunt(s), Barba, Hodges, Hoffman to capitalise off

Nailed the strongest team Baz, except I'd opt for Oates > Hala. Corey is going to be a world class player and he's somebody I'd be finding a spot for in my team each week. I'd even throw him infront of Granville if need be.

Heading into next season, I only have four positions filled.

1. Barba
3. Reed
7. B. Hunt
13. Parker

The rest will all have to prove themselves.

Even IF Yow Yeh is fit .....should he still be considered in the strongest side in 2014?

His injury was very damaging. He's been going round in the Qcup late last year with none of the skills that made him a star back in 2011. He's got a long long way to go IMO

Best case scenario for him to be considered as a starter in our strongest side would be 2015.

Nailed the strongest team Baz, except I'd opt for Oates > Hala. Corey is going to be a world class player and he's somebody I'd be finding a spot for in my team each week. I'd even throw him infront of Granville if need be.

Heading into next season, I only have four positions filled.

1. Barba
3. Reed
7. B. Hunt
13. Parker

The rest will all have to prove themselves.

That was another position that I did toss up... The only reason I opt for Hala, was so that we weren't short on our prop rotation. With a fully fit Hala, he can add some impact through his go forward and solid runs.

I also think Oates should be eased into the forward pack, while continiuing to develop through more game time in QLD cup. We have yet to see him in action in the forwards despite his great games in the backs.

But one thing about Oates is, he will give it a fair go at any position he is told to play... however with the question mark over Kennedy, Hala and Oates may well get a crack off the bench...

In regards to Granville, I think he offers speed out of dummy half and some creativity. He can play a bit unstructured, in terms of playing what's in front of him.

This will only add a new dimension to the Broncos rather ordinary game plan of the past, creating more attacking opportunities for our strike players to take advantage of.

Last edited:
Even IF Yow Yeh is fit .....should he still be considered in the strongest side in 2014?

His injury was very damaging. He's been going round in the Qcup late last year with none of the skills that made him a star back in 2011. He's got a long long way to go IMO

Best case scenario for him to be considered as a starter in our strongest side would be 2015.

Well from all reports, he is looking the goods. Whether that is his NRL form prior his injury, time will only tell... The one positive is that through the trials, and the 9's we will get a good look at where Yow Yeh is at. Plus the game time will only boost his confidence and increase his drive to reach the elite level of where he left off at...

At full strength with everyone available

1: Barba
2: Hoffman
3: Reed
4: Hodges
5: Yow Yeh
6: K. Hunt
7: B. Hunt
8: Hannant
9: McCullogh
10: McGuire
11: Gillett
12: Thiaday
13: Parker

14: Hala
15: Kennedy
16: Glenn
17: Oates

Kharmichael Hunt would be trialled in the halves and if he performs well enough he will be given the five-eighth jersey. Yow Yeh might return in round 1 depending on his trial form and well fare but I'm not expecting him to be at his 2011 level. This is my strongest for next year my 2015 is the same the only difference is Milford in there somewhere and pending Smith's desicion.

glenn is at best on teh bench in my opinion. i can't see room for him in the starting side, and with two spots being props (kennedy/hala) he'd still have to fight with guys like oates for the spot.

personally i think macca should be stepped up to 80 mins and we can have a guy like oates on the bench who i think can offer more as an explosive player than glenn anyway.

i dont know where milford fits if khunt does return, but thats not to worry about yet.

ben hunt has the year to own the 7 jersey. i think we'll be pleasantly surprised with him next season especially having barba at the back.

1. Ben Barba
2. Dale Copley
3. Jack Reed
4. Justin Hodges
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Karmichael Hunt
7. Ben Hunt
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Matt Gillett
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Jake Granville
15. Martin Kennedy
16. David Hala
17. Alex Glenn

That'd be my team.

A) I don't think Yow Yeh will be the same player, may never be in our top 17 ever again.
B) I don't think Hoffman wants to be here, therefore it'd make more sense if we don't play him.

At full strength with everyone available

1: Barba
2: Hoffman
3: Reed
4: Hodges
5: Yow Yeh
6: K. Hunt
7: B. Hunt
8: Hannant
9: McCullogh
10: McGuire
11: Gillett
12: Thiaday
13: Parker

14: Hala
15: Kennedy
16: Glenn
17: Oates

Kharmichael Hunt would be trialled in the halves and if he performs well enough he will be given the five-eighth jersey. Yow Yeh might return in round 1 depending on his trial form and well fare but I'm not expecting him to be at his 2011 level. This is my strongest for next year my 2015 is the same the only difference is Milford in there somewhere and pending Smith's desicion.

I am already salivating over our prospects for 2015.

Active Now

• KickHaas
  • Tmac
  • Xzei
  • Bish
  • Johnny92
  • Morkel
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosarethebest
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • lynx000
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.