What's the biggest "we dodged a bullet" in Broncos history?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
From my memory there is the almost signing Dugan thing.

Or the Inglis backflip that saved us from paying him a fortune to play with no knees for the last 3 years.

What are some of other close calls?

Edit: oh, and I think Andrew Gee taking the fall for a potential salary cap scandal was a big one too.

I actually think Inglis would have played centre for us so I think we missed out on a premiership not signing him.

But the biggest one? Luke Brooks.

Was Brooks really ever being looked at or was that a beat up?

Dugan. He would have set this club more backwards.
We missed Inglis and missed a premiership because of it

I don't know if Dugan would have sent us backwards but he certainly would have been moved on when Bennett returned to make way for Boyd. Barber was a failure and Wayne offloaded him at the right time, I couldn't see Dugan being worse than that.

Being able to get rid of Kennedy back to the Roosters was also a big bullet dodge.

Bennett would have moved Dugan to centre (which would have resulted in us winning the GF I reckon) or told him to piss off, we also wouldn't have signed Barba if we got him.

Trent Merrin - just purely from a "would've cost a lot of money for an overrated forward" perspective.

I don't think Dugan would've been as bad as people thought, but he would've been matching kahu for stints in the physio room.

Getting rid of Hook after four years. He should have been sacked after the horrid 2013 campaign but WB wasn't available quite yet. Imagine the state this club would be in if he was still around. Those dark days of the Hook regime is something I don't ever want to revisit and cringe uncontrollably even thinking about it.

I'm not a fan, but Duges would have been a better fit than Barba and spared us those pea-hearted efforts from Normie in the back end.

Then again, just because the Broncos ended up taking a bullet (or three) doesn't mean that Duges would have been a good signing.

Kennedy was the big one for me. I hoped at the time that he would be what esesse and sims have been, buy it quickly became obvious something was seriously wrong with him. I hope lodge doesnt go that way, but i guess we've got a year to find out where his head is. I hope someone is eyeing him like a hawk between now and then. Same with roberts. We've had our share of redemptions: chris johns is the best of them and a few failures: julian oneil (such a waste), smoken joe kilroy (who as a kid i thought had the nickname purely for his speed, such nievity, oh well) and more than a few who never made as far as them. Id put carl webb and the coal train in that lot but they lasted a few seasons after they left. Webb played for australia, but he always seemed to be heading backwards, after that first great sesson with the cowboys. Between drink, drugs and dodgy diets we've lost a few potential superstars over the years. Injury has played a part too but it fades in comparison to the previous mentioned.

Getting rid of Hook after four years. He should have been sacked after the horrid 2013 campaign but WB wasn't available quite yet. Imagine the state this club would be in if he was still around. Those dark days of the Hook regime is something I don't ever want to revisit and cringe uncontrollably even thinking about it.

as dark a days as the end of the hook era was ... still no where near as bad as the Henjak days

56-18 at home isn't much better.

Especially with such a meager roster moving forward.

as dark a days as the end of the hook era was ... still no where near as bad as the Henjak days
The Henjak days were shorter though. That whole six year period were a disaster and I place Henjak and Griffin in the same category, both were totally unsuitable for the honorable position.

56-0 to the Raiders.
This... not because of the score in itself (which is bad enough), but the capitulation we saw in multiple games that season, and is totally un-Broncos like. We never saw that under Griffin.

Hook's footy wasn't worse than Bennett's with good halves (2011 would've probably been different without that ill-fated Beale knee). He was as much the victim of Locky's retirement as anyone.

Henjak was given a vote of no confidence. Not only was he the Broncos third pick (behind Bellamy and Henry) he was given a ridiculous coaching crew where it was like the assistant's assistant had assistance.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Redux
  • porouian
  • Gaz
  • broncos4life
  • Howie
  • Johnny92
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncoscope
  • BroncosMan
  • YeahNahMate
  • Redfern_1980
  • winslow_wong
  • MrTickyMcG
  • BroncosAlways
  • Dash
  • Financeguy
  • bert_lifts
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.