Where are our exciting juniors?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Ese ese and Pangai are looking promising without being brilliant but Niko, Opecic and Joe O all fell short in my opinion.

When was the last genuinely exciting player that we had come through our system other than Taylor (who we let walk anyway)?

The game has produced a lot of very exciting players the last few years, and we have practically none of the same calibre either in first grade or coming through.

Look at Cowboys who have Gideon-Mosby, Hess, Bowen, and Ponga. All genuine future stars.

There's Latrell Mitchell, RTS, Bevan French, Radradra, Munster, Elgy from the last few years.

Even the tigers have Suli, Manly have the Turbos, and Kelly, Raiders have Cotric.

I could list half the panthers team but Cleary is a sensational player.

Taylor, is the only really exciting player we've produced since Gillett in my opinion.

We have exciting players, but they are a work in progress.

To say that none of ours are of the same calibre as the ones you listed is just simply untrue.

Made the same post in the opinions thread.

I for one am happy with opacic. We have plenty of potential exitement machines in the lower grades, but they come with flaws too. Our first grade team has a higher standard than most, especially in defence. If someone makes it to first grade for us, theyre usually destined for higher honours. It may mean we lose a few like taylor, but it also means we have a consistent level of exellence in a team capable of a top 4 finish most years, unlike the titans.

It's no secret that after the class of '91 (Norman, Gagai, Kahu, Copley, Wallace, Baptiste) the Broncos dropped the ball with their recruitment. Take the class of '93 for example and only two players have emerged: Cam Cullen and Daniel Alvaro who I'm sure was apart of some experiment to clone Ben Hannant (I'll take a Tin Foil Hat Morkel). As a result, there were some issues with the production line which is why the Broncos were so awful in 2013 and why Ben Hunt's 2014 was so highly regarded. Make no mistake about it, the Broncos should have been just as bad if not worse than their 2013 counter-parts but Hunt's form was the difference in so many games.

Recently the Broncos have bucked the trend and personally I think the class of '94 (Oates, Nikorima, Opacic, Molo) and '95 (Taylor, Ofahengaue, Arrow, Pearson) have been considerable improvements over prior years. Admittedly '96 with J. Nikorima, Fai, Lavea, Alick, Brimson, Saitaua hasn't worked out but the jury is still out on players like Nikorima and Fai.

Apart of the problem has been injuries. Guys like Berwick, Byrnes, Lee, Alick & Te Rupe all suffered serious injuries that hampered their development. Unlike forwards, backs have a smaller window of opportunity and if they're suffering injuries that impact their ability to run it can spell the end of their chances.

There's been other issues along the way. The Broncos had the best junior coming through one year and he decided his faith was more important than the sport he played. Some of these things you can't really pick as a scout.

Last edited:
Who in our team is going to be replaced though? We have Corey Allan coming through and he looks the goods.

I haven't had a chance to watch them, but there seems to be plenty of talent coming through the 20s this year. Su'A, Haas, Allan, Burns, Shibasaki, Hipgrave, Carrigan, Whitbread with plenty of players impressing in the U/18s and QCup 20s...I think there's some future NRL talent there.

After watching the NYC game against the Sharks earlier in the year and watching almost all of the NYC highlights available online, I think Corey Allan might be our blue chip coming through. He seems special, he somewhat reminds me of Tom Trbojevic in the U20's, a tall Fullback (Not as tall as Tom, but not many people are) with a very high top speed and a knack for breaking the line and scoring tries.

I wouldn't mind getting the opinion on him from people who've watched a lot of him in person. @Bronxxnationn @talanoa @1910

After watching the NYC game against the Sharks earlier in the year and watching almost all of the NYC highlights available online, I think Corey Allan might be our blue chip coming through. He seems special, he somewhat reminds me of Tom Trbojevic in the U20's, a tall Fullback (Not as tall as Tom, but not many people are) with a very high top speed and a knack for breaking the line and scoring tries.

I wouldn't mind getting the opinion on him from people who've watched a lot of him in person. @Bronxxnationn @talanoa @1910

Killed it last week! Scored two tries, saved a few and pushed at least two wingers out into touch. Once he has one good moment he will be on a role for the entire game. Has trained with the NRL side and done trials. Give him the ball and he's off. Could possibly replace Hunt as he also plays in the halves. Off the field he's humble and generous. Definitely deserves a shot in nrl. Been dubbed Boyd's next successor at the ago of 16/17. Definitely got a positive future.

Some people have compared him to Tedesco with his running style.

Active Now

• porouian
  • Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • Culhwch
  • Hurrijo
  • Redux
  • Gaz
  • broncos4life
  • Howie
  • Johnny92
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncoscope
  • BroncosMan
  • YeahNahMate
  • Redfern_1980
  • MrTickyMcG
  • BroncosAlways
  • Dash
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.