Where does Benji Marshall fit in?

EXACTLY.

and i am no fan of benji.

i think there is no chance he wins a centre spot.

to be honest, full credit to benji for accepting a rookie wage with only a small chance at playing first grade. i hope he works hard and pushes some of the other blokes to lift their game too. its really hard to find negatives in this signing.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts also...
At first I was filthy on the idea, but i have changed my mind after hearing of the 100k price tag.
I like the fact that everyone else has written him off, he has a point to prove.
I don't think he'll displace either of our halves but he'll have the pressure on them and a few other guys which could be exactly what they need.
I don't think I'll ever understand how crafty the old WB is but, if this all works out well it's because he is the master and if not it was only 100k... The more I think about this the more I like it.

Maybe Bennett doesn't think Boyd is ready for captain yet....

:laugh:

I do truely believe benji isn't a has been the last 3yrs or so he has been trying to be a game manager a halfback in a side with no attacking stats and he is a 5/8 give him a bit of free roam mid game at lock and let him do a bit of ball playing off the back of Milford hunt and Boyd there's a real attacking threat all the way across the park I'm honestly happy and excited about benji coming

The negative for me around this signing is that we should have juniors coming through threatening Hunt/Milford not a player coming to the end of his career from another club.

In the absence of said juniors then I guess I'm ok with it. It is what it is anyway. As long as he lifts his performance and doesn't retreat and throw passes that land in the grandstand like he has been at the dragons. I'm sure Wayne will get that out of his game very quick.

As for saying Kahu can't defend...that's concerning because imo Kahu has been one of our better defending centres. I haven't noticed any defensive issues when he's at centre.

The negative for me around this signing is that we should have juniors coming through threatening Hunt/Milford not a player coming to the end of his career from another club.

In the absence of said juniors then I guess I'm ok with it. It is what it is anyway. As long as he lifts his performance and doesn't retreat and throw passes that land in the grandstand like he has been at the dragons. I'm sure Wayne will get that out of his game very quick.

As for saying Kahu can't defend...that's concerning because imo Kahu has been one of our better defending centres. I haven't noticed any defensive issues when he's at centre.

The problem we have is that the juniors who were threatening to take their spots were too good to not be playing last year, where they absolutely wouldn't have taken a spot so they had to leave. We aren't the Roosters o the Panthers. We can't stockpile all of the good young halves in our state because everyone wants Broncos juniors.

Last edited:
The problem we have is that the juniors who were threatening to take their spots were too good to not be playing last year, where they absolutely wouldn't have taken a spot so they had to leave. We aren't the Roosters o the Panthers. We can't stockpile all of the good young halves in our state because everyone wants Broncos juniors.

Yeah it's a shame. I have no idea if we have any others coming through either. No name from ISC stands out for me and I've not watched NYC.

There seemed to be a decent batch coming through in 2015 and mostly spine players too. I really hope Josh Cleeland gets a crack this year. If I see him in the team list I'll do my best to watch the game.

Marshall's only place is at #6. Maybe Bennett thinks Hunt or Milford are a chance of being called up for Origin, with Kodi being considered purely as a bench hooker. Maybe Marshall is there for insurance if one of them gets injured. Maybe he's simply there as a mentor to Milford, without Milford actually knowing it, if you catch my drift. Regardless, we could spend $100k in far worse ways, I welcome the signing.

Marshall's only place is at #6. Maybe Bennett thinks Hunt or Milford are a chance of being called up for Origin, with Kodi being considered purely as a bench hooker. Maybe Marshall is there for insurance if one of them gets injured. Maybe he's simply there as a mentor to Milford, without Milford actually knowing it, if you catch my drift. Regardless, we could spend $100k in far worse ways, I welcome the signing.

Yeah I've settled on this . 100k and he brings some welcomed experience for our halves , even if it's only on the training paddock. And cover

Maybe Bennett doesn't think Boyd is ready for captain yet....

[emoji23]
I know this was tongue in cheek, but having a former new Zealand captain and vice captain in our team ain't a bad leadership group

So long as he holds his own in defence and doesn't bullet passes into row 20 (being at centre as opposed to 10 at 5/8th), I'm fine with him being in the team

Overall, I'm not excited by his signing, but I'm also not upset over it.

^^THIS^^

I thought he had a pretty decent 2015 at the dragons.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Harry Sack
  • Tim K
  • Skathen
  • Financeguy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Allo
  • teampjta
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fozz
  • Big Del
  • Mick_Hancock
  • BroncoFan94
  • Strop
  • azza.79
  • Midean
  • MrTickyMcG
  • mitch222
  • The Boss
  • ParraMania
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.