Where does Benji Marshall fit in?

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
If we get real for a second.. it's safe to say Wayne wants him as a centre right??

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
If we get real for a second.. it's safe to say Wayne wants him as a centre right??

I doubt it. He has never played centre that I know of and our backline is stacked. I think he was just talking shit to the media so they'd get off our halves backs.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014

Defensively I'm not so sure... But I like the idea as other posters have mentioned him as being a Jamie Lyon style centre that can add another dimension to our kicking game. Not to mention how deadly that left side looks with his name in there.

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
I'm making a video of his time at the Dragons since he got back from Union.. Some of the shit he has done, it's unbelievable.

If he can perform like that consistently, then we just got one of the deals of the century.

But of course, one of his biggest problems has been consistency. He can still do some amazing things with the footy, but the problem is, you just don't know which Benji Marshall is going to turn up.

Hopefully Wayne gets the best from him.

There is a few on youtube of his highlights from this year and last

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
Defensively I'm not so sure... But I like the idea as other posters have mentioned him as being a Jamie Lyon style centre that can add another dimension to our kicking game. Not to mention how deadly that left side looks with his name in there.

When Scott Prince arrived for his farewell stint his defense noticeably improved imo. I think if Marshall has a strong off-season, sorts out that hamstring or whatever it was that plagued his 2016 season and improves his defense he should be in contention for it. For 31 years of age Marshall still, has some serious wheels also.

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
I don't mind the idea at all he still has some years left in him and he could make a good ball playing center

M

mcsweeney89

Oct 24, 2016
I like what he can bring as a mentor/leadership role. Just struggle to see where he fits in the 17. But I'm not the coach so I'll trust the people in charge

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
When Scott Prince arrived for his farewell stint his defense noticeably improved imo. I think if Marshall has a strong off-season, sorts out that hamstring or whatever it was that plagued his 2016 season and improves his defense he should be in contention for it. For 31 years of age Marshall still, has some serious wheels also.

Still got a nice step on him too... Milford and Marshall on the left, Hunt and Roberts on the right with Boyd floating behind. If the attack can click there will be some sought of highlights reel in 2017...

Horseheadsup

Horseheadsup

NRL Player
Mar 21, 2016
Quote Benji Marshall's practise, from his book;

"I practise flick passes everyday. I am confident that I could flick pass 30 meters and hit a target easily. That's how much I practise. I aim at players, I aim at posts.
In the warm ups, or after training, I'll throw them. I'll practice chip kicking. But people STILL think I do it all off the top of my head.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
I'm making a video of his time at the Dragons since he got back from Union.. Some of the shit he has done, it's unbelievable.

If he can perform like that consistently, then we just got one of the deals of the century.

But of course, one of his biggest problems has been consistency. He can still do some amazing things with the footy, but the problem is, you just don't know which Benji Marshall is going to turn up.

Hopefully Wayne gets the best from him.
Why i think he'll be awesome for us.. he won't have all the pressure as a "halfback" needing to control a team.. just play what he sees in front of him and go for it

Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
This might be the bourbon talking but I'm getting very curious about Waynes statement that Benji could play centre. In attack he would be dangerous and when games are on the line he would be helpful for Hunt and Milford.

His defence is the obvious problem but if he was paired up with Gillette it might work. Roberts defensive problems this year were mostly mental errors. He drifted in and out of games a bit but if he comes back from Thailand with his head on straight he could move to the other side.

A backline of Boyd, Oates, Marshall, Roberts, Kahu, Milford and Hunt would be deadly. Defensively they would need serious support from the second rowers but they would score a hell of a lot of points.

Horseheadsup

Horseheadsup

NRL Player
Mar 21, 2016
This might be the bourbon talking but I'm getting very curious about Waynes statement that Benji could play centre. In attack he would be dangerous and when games are on the line he would be helpful for Hunt and Milford.

His defence is the obvious problem but if he was paired up with Gillette it might work. Roberts defensive problems this year were mostly mental errors. He drifted in and out of games a bit but if he comes back from Thailand with his head on straight he could move to the other side.

A backline of Boyd, Oates, Marshall, Roberts, Kahu, Milford and Hunt would be deadly. Defensively they would need serious support from the second rowers but they would score a hell of a lot of points.
Agree. Halves could learn a few tricks from Marshalls experience and Wayne sounds keen to get him in.
As you say, Roberts hopefully will sort himself out plus the Ax is on board to hopefully improve their defence. Can't afford them derping it up. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

He might come back as Ja-mie Roberts.

Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
True story. I left home on my 15th birthday and got a job a couple of thousand kms away. It was too late in the season to sign on with a rugby league team so I joined a senior rugby union team. The winger in that team was definitely in the Ja-mie camp. In the first game I played for them he came out of a tackle with his arm swinging. He had obviously popped it right out. I watched him grab his wrist and pop it straight back in. If Roberts finds that kind of toughness I don't care if he wears a dress at home.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
True story. I left home on my 15th birthday and got a job a couple of thousand kms away. It was too late in the season to sign on with a rugby league team so I joined a senior rugby union team. The winger in that team was definitely in the Ja-mie camp. In the first game I played for them he came out of a tackle with his arm swinging. He had obviously popped it right out. I watched him grab his wrist and pop it straight back in. If Roberts finds that kind of toughness I don't care if he wears a dress at home.

****, if he can find that kind of toughness he can wear a dress on the field for all I care.

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
I think Macca needs to play 80min so benji will be impact player

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Na, not with kodi's faith he's showed to the club and his actual spark out of dummy half. He's a stayer IMO

J

johnny plath

QCup Player
Jul 16, 2014
Na, not with kodi's faith he's showed to the club and his actual spark out of dummy half. He's a stayer IMO

I like kodi, but I don't really see him as a long term hooker, he's a half imo. I'd hate to see his development stunted like ben hunt by playing 15 minutes off the bench as hooker. I remember constantly people saying he'd be better learning his trade in Qcup. Likewise, long term I think Kodi be better off playing in Qcup and running a team around the park week in and out from the halves. Maybe a dent in pride dropping back to a lower grade for kodi, but I think way more benefit than weekly cameo's in NRL. I'd hate see us make the same mistake and not learn from the experience. Maybe Wayne see's that long term picture as well, thats why he grabbed Benji... bench impact, and mentor for these unguided halves we have.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.