Where does Benji Marshall fit in?

He's lost the pace that made him a star. His running game was what made the player he was. It wont be coming back either.

This isn't even remotely comparable to the Adam Blair signing.

If Benji was being honest with himself he'd retire.

He was the worst 7 in the whole comp last season. Just BAD.

Last edited:
[h=1]A heart-to-heart conversion between Benji Marshall, Wayne Bennett lead to Broncos offer[/h]
BENJI Marshall will formally sign with the Broncos within 48 hours after being talked out of retirement by Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett.

Marshall’s manager Martin Tauber revealed how a heart-to-heart with Bennett saved his NRL career, with the veteran playmaker telling the super coach: “I don’t want to retire.”
Bennett’s lifeline to Marshall is genuine with Brisbane’s recruitment-and-retention committee to rubberstamp a contract offer by Friday.

The 31-year-old will ink the basic fulltime deal, worth around $100,000-a-season, immediately, sealing his move to Queensland for a season of redemption in Broncos colours in 2017.

Bennett is taking one of his biggest recruitment gambles by signing Marshall but Tauber said money came secondary to the former Kiwi Test skipper’s desire to prove he is not a spent force.
Asked if Marshall will join the Broncos, Tauber said: “The deal will be done, yes.
“Benji will receive a contract from the Broncos in the next 24 to 48 hours and he will sign it.
“He desperately wants to continue his career at the Broncos.
“Whether it’s a one-year or two-year deal we’re not sure, maybe there will be an option (for a second season), but either way he’ll be moving to Brisbane.
“If he had his way, Benji would play another two or three years. Guys like Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith (Melbourne trio) are playing well into their 30s.
“This is not about the money, it’s about the opportunity and Benji’s desire to play on.
“In his words, he said he’s not ready to retire.”
A veteran of 255 NRL games, Marshall is viewed as a possible left centre following the retirement of Jack Reed.
Reed’s replacement late last season, rookie Tom Opacic, could miss the start of the 2017 premiership due to two shoulder operations that will sideline him for five months.

Bennett’s interest in Marshall only developed in recent days after the off-contract Dragons playmaker phoned him to seek the coach’s counsel as he weighed up his future.
“Benji actually rang Wayne for some career advice and that’s when the conversation turned to well what are you going to do Benji,” Tauber said.
“Benji said, ‘I’m not sure, I’m just looking for an opportunity’ and that’s where it all began.
“Wayne gave Benji some advice and that’s when the conversation turned. That’s what began the contract discussions.
“Wayne Bennett has a huge regard for Benji, he wrote the foreword to his book and always said he would like to coach him.
“By the end of the week, we’re expecting a firm contract offer in Benji’s hands.
“This is a good move. Wayne is a great coach and Benji would bring the quality of leadership and mentoring to Brisbane’s young players.
“He is a great ambassador for rugby league and he will do well in that regard for the Broncos.”

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

100k is nothing money. Atleast you know Benji would be a reliable backup. You give 100k contracts to rookie ffs. Its not really a gamble

What does everyone think of Benji as a centre?

As a centre on a $100k contract, I think he'd make an excellent back-up half should Milford / Hunt be unavailable for whatever reason at any point next season.

Defending in the centres? I shudder to think what might happen with a Solomone Kata, BJ Leilula, GI, Will Chambers or basically you know, ANY competent NRL standard centre running at him...

Last edited:
[h=1]A heart-to-heart conversion between Benji Marshall, Wayne Bennett lead to Broncos offer[/h]
BENJI Marshall will formally sign with the Broncos within 48 hours after being talked out of retirement by Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett.

Marshall’s manager Martin Tauber revealed how a heart-to-heart with Bennett saved his NRL career, with the veteran playmaker telling the super coach: “I don’t want to retire.”
Bennett’s lifeline to Marshall is genuine with Brisbane’s recruitment-and-retention committee to rubberstamp a contract offer by Friday.

The 31-year-old will ink the basic fulltime deal, worth around $100,000-a-season, immediately, sealing his move to Queensland for a season of redemption in Broncos colours in 2017.

Bennett is taking one of his biggest recruitment gambles by signing Marshall but Tauber said money came secondary to the former Kiwi Test skipper’s desire to prove he is not a spent force.
Asked if Marshall will join the Broncos, Tauber said: “The deal will be done, yes.
“Benji will receive a contract from the Broncos in the next 24 to 48 hours and he will sign it.
“He desperately wants to continue his career at the Broncos.
“Whether it’s a one-year or two-year deal we’re not sure, maybe there will be an option (for a second season), but either way he’ll be moving to Brisbane.
“If he had his way, Benji would play another two or three years. Guys like Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith (Melbourne trio) are playing well into their 30s.
“This is not about the money, it’s about the opportunity and Benji’s desire to play on.
“In his words, he said he’s not ready to retire.”
A veteran of 255 NRL games, Marshall is viewed as a possible left centre following the retirement of Jack Reed.
Reed’s replacement late last season, rookie Tom Opacic, could miss the start of the 2017 premiership due to two shoulder operations that will sideline him for five months.

Bennett’s interest in Marshall only developed in recent days after the off-contract Dragons playmaker phoned him to seek the coach’s counsel as he weighed up his future.
“Benji actually rang Wayne for some career advice and that’s when the conversation turned to well what are you going to do Benji,” Tauber said.
“Benji said, ‘I’m not sure, I’m just looking for an opportunity’ and that’s where it all began.
“Wayne gave Benji some advice and that’s when the conversation turned. That’s what began the contract discussions.
“Wayne Bennett has a huge regard for Benji, he wrote the foreword to his book and always said he would like to coach him.
“By the end of the week, we’re expecting a firm contract offer in Benji’s hands.
“This is a good move. Wayne is a great coach and Benji would bring the quality of leadership and mentoring to Brisbane’s young players.
“He is a great ambassador for rugby league and he will do well in that regard for the Broncos.”

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

He's not upto it anymore. Not an NRL player.
Think of it like this, as [MENTION=8290]Unbreakable[/MENTION] has said. We have basically traded Darren Nicholls for Benji Marshall.

As a centre on a $100k contract, I think he'd make an excellent back-up half should Milford / Hunt be unavailable for whatever reason at any point next season.

Defending in the centres? I shudder to think what might happen with a Solomone Kata, BJ Leilula, GI, Will Chambers or basically you know, ANY competent NRL standard centre running at him...

Not much different to what would happen if Kahu is centre.

I'm ok with this, our halves became complacent this year and this is can only help rectify that for next season.

He had a lot of pressure on him at a bog average Dragons side, I imagine he'll be given a simple role once Origin rolls around.

There's a joke about Scott Prince in this thread title.....

"Prince starts from 25" :laugh: At least we know for sure Benji will.

Last edited:
Can someone compile the comments throughout the year about not having anyone who could replace Hunt and how we have no depth in the position? He is literally being signed on a rookie contract and will only be given a spot if he plays better than Hunt/Milford/Nikorima, or if they play worse than him. It's money that wasn't going to be used anyway. How can anyone with a brain say this is a bad signing? Should we have signed Cronk for 100k instead?

I'm kind of warming to the idea of Benji at left centre, we know he's not great defensively, but neither is Kahu really, with a full off-season of him training out there he should be "ok" defensively.

And think of the attacking opportunities with Milford, Boyd, Marshall & Mead down that left corridor (Assuming Roberts & Kahu are on the right side of the field and Oates is playing as a forward), Benji would be playing as a secondary Five-Eighth on the left edge, helping Milford out with the short kicking game over that side of the field.. I don't mind the idea at all..

Last edited:
I'm kind of warming to the idea of Benji at left centre, we know he's not great defensively, but neither is Kahu really, with a full off-season of him training out there he should be "ok" defensively.

And think of the attacking opportunities with Milford, Boyd, Marshall & Mead down that left corridor (Assuming Roberts & Kahu are on the right side of the field and Oates is playing as a forward), Benji would be playing as a secondary Five-Eighth on the left edge, helping Milford out with the short kicking game over that side of the field.. I don't mind the idea at all..

So long as he holds his own in defence and doesn't bullet passes into row 20 (being at centre as opposed to 10 at 5/8th), I'm fine with him being in the team

Overall, I'm not excited by his signing, but I'm also not upset over it.

Not much different to what would happen if Kahu is centre.

Personally I think Kahu is quite the bit better defender. Never noticed any particular issue with him defending at left centre when he has played there, but I've seen plenty of issues woth Marshall's defence, wherever he has played...

He is literally being signed on a rookie contract and will only be given a spot if he plays better than Hunt/Milford/Nikorima, or if they play worse than him. It's money that wasn't going to be used anyway. How can anyone with a brain say this is a bad signing? Should we have signed Cronk for 100k instead?

EXACTLY.

and i am no fan of benji.

i think there is no chance he wins a centre spot.

to be honest, full credit to benji for accepting a rookie wage with only a small chance at playing first grade. i hope he works hard and pushes some of the other blokes to lift their game too. its really hard to find negatives in this signing.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Xzei
  • ivanhungryjak
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  • Fatboy
  • Griffo
  • Lostboy
  • Stix
  • Broncorob
  • BruiserMk1
  • Behold
  • Johnny92
  • Manofoneway
  • upthehorse
  • Foordy
  • cento
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Broncosgirl
  • rj9
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.