PLAYER Payne Haas

I think this is good news overall for us... although I'm not all that happy with how much he's actually getting paid... but I think we would be short on real quality middles if Haas moved on.

With Haas and Patty we have two top tier rep middles... a lot of the other guys are all still developing in Flegs, Kobe, Willison, etc. and Jensen being steady. If we ended up losing Haas we would be relying on kids to fill the role next year and hoping they develop into NRL regulars.

It will be interesting to see what we decide to do with Flegs given he's off contract at the end of 2023. With Haas committing we don't necessarily need to go all in on retaining him and having to pay for potential again.

It could've ended up being a Milf situation all over again with Flegs... where we became desperate to retain Milf because we had just lost Bhunt to a mega deal. This time around we can look to call Flegs bluff given his manager is out there spruiking massive incoming deals across the NRL.

If he gets a mega deal we don't necessarily need to match it, as we have other prospects coming through, so if Flegs wants to stay at Red Hill he might end up having to accept less.

Heard a bit of talk up here about the Cows being interested in Flegs.

This is an absolute disaster. Not only is he on way too much money but once he has a few decent weeks he will be asking for a release again so he can derail another season.

Absolutely devastating.

I don't think he derailed our season, it wasn't ideal but it didn't ruin our season.

Heard a bit of talk up here about the Cows being interested in Flegs.

Absolutely no way they can afford him, at least afford to pay more than we can. Their cap has to be at its limit

I don't think he derailed our season, it wasn't ideal but it didn't ruin our season.

At the end of the day, the players just didn't give a shit enough for it to derail our season.

We just sucked. We burned out. Plain and simple.

Broncos won 5/7 of the games after Haas asked for a release, only losing to Cows and Storm. It didn't derail the season unless they found out 2 months after it came out.

Absolutely no way they can afford him, at least afford to pay more than we can. Their cap has to be at its limit

I think it was depending on what happened with Maclean. Not sure if that’s been resolved. Also starting seems to be an issue for Flegs which is a shame because the balance of the team is better with him off the bench imo.

Happy enough. Was ok with what we were paying him in his current contract. Would like to see him add another dimension to his game next year onwards though.

I think it was depending on what happened with Maclean. Not sure if that’s been resolved. Also starting seems to be an issue for Flegs which is a shame because the balance of the team is better with him off the bench imo.

i'm not sure if it is an issue or not ... every player will always say publicly they are desperate to start. I'm not sure if it is actually an issue for Flegs. I agree him on the bench with Jensen starting is the best for the side's balance.

last report was that McLean was "set to" sign a new contract with the Cowboys. the report said it better than this, but they essentially said that after McLean sucked for 2 years, his 2022 was good and Payten really wanted to keep him

i'm not sure if it is an issue or not ... every player will always say publicly they are desperate to start. I'm not sure if it is actually an issue for Flegs. I agree him on the bench with Jensen starting is the best for the side's balance.

last report was that McLean was "set to" sign a new contract with the Cowboys. the report said it better than this, but they essentially said that after McLean sucked for 2 years, his 2022 was good and Payten really wanted to keep him

Kev said it too and I sensed by his demeanour there was a hint of it being a sticking point for Flegs.

If we can get Haas, Patty, Flegs and Jensen on the same page and firing (and rotated well) we will be sweet .

If Jensen isn’t starting, is there an argument someone like Robati or Palasia might be an option on the bench instead?

Broncos won 5/7 of the games after Haas asked for a release, only losing to Cows and Storm. It didn't derail the season unless they found out 2 months after it came out.
With rugby league players, that's actually more plausible than you might think.

Screenshot 20221011 142128 Chrome

This is an absolute disaster. Not only is he on way too much money but once he has a few decent weeks he will be asking for a release again so he can derail another season.

Absolutely devastating.
So his management sent… an email… saying Payne would stay for the rest of his contract… Looks like a poor result being reported as a win.

Why is a prop our highest paid player? 800k for ARey as our best spine player, seems like we are running a different salary cap strategy to the top teams.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Bucking Beads
  • lynx000
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Wolfie
  • TimWhatley
  • peter09
  • Waynesaurus
  • Johnny92
  • Tim K
  • Dash
  • Fozz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • Stix
  • Morkel
  • broncs30
  • Broncosgirl
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.