Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021...er...2025

Do yourself a favour and watch it, the context of everything he said and explained was VERY impressive. Don't just take parts and make a decision on that.
Yeah I normally don’t comment without watching/reading the source but did this time. I’ll give it a spin soon

Team going forward:

1. Scott Drinkwater/AJ Brimson/Tristan Sailor
2. Coates
3. Staggs
4. Opacic/Bird if he can't be moved on
5. Farnsworth
6. Milford (only if he want to pull his finger out and after next year only on way less)
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn (if he stays on)
12. Oates
13. Carrigan

14. Paix
15. Flegler
16. Riki
17. Piakura

Sign some experienced and well priced forwards to add into the mix

The rest can **** off. Seriously only a few signings and it is a completely different team.

Ikin is setting himself a goal that he is very unlikely to achieve by saying he’s going hard after Smith. Not a great idea to set yourself up for an early failure.

His stated goal was more to set a higher standard in and around the club culture, and Cameron Smith is just one path to do that. There a multiple avenues to accomplish that.

Last edited:
We're going to have a heap of money to throw around and what seems like not a whole lot of top notch players to throw it at over the next year at least.

The reality is, to get above salary cap requirements and to fill spaces in the team, we are going to need to overpay for some pretty average players.

If the management is smart, they will make sure all these contracts are very short... 1/2 years max, so that we have a constant flow of money replenishing each year to throw at marquee spine players as they become available.

It's going to be painful and seem counter-productive and stupid to sign players like Guerra to $600k / year contracts, but in reality, as long as these are short contracts to fill an immediate need and get us over the minimum salary cap hurdle, then these sort of short-term contracts will put us in a good position to wait for the right men we want.

In 2021... assuming C Smith and Grant are out of the picture, the only other prospects that excite me as potential long-term options are Brandon Smith and Tristan Sailor. We should be patient and calm with our acquisitions to subsist and preserve funds until some more talent becomes available.

Team going forward:

1. Scott Drinkwater/AJ Brimson/Tristan Sailor
2. Coates
3. Staggs
4. Opacic/Bird if he can't be moved on
5. Farnsworth
6. Milford (only if he want to pull his finger out and after next year only on way less)
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn (if he stays on)
12. Oates
13. Carrigan

14. Paix
15. Flegler
16. Riki
17. Piakura

Sign some experienced and well priced forwards to add into the mix

The rest can **** off. Seriously only a few signings and it is a completely different team.

I reckon that as good as you can get with what is available. I'm not a fan of Welch but he is off contract and is a Qld rep, so it might be a good decision to go after him. I would absolutely be chasing Guerra as well. I just hope that somehow things can conspire to result in Grant coming 'home' to Brisbane.

The other question is, Milford isn't going anywhere as no one will take on even half his wage, so what position do you prepare him for over the off season? Fullback or five-eighth? Given TPJ, Boyd, Kahu and Fifita are gone, there is already $1-2 million available, so I would keep Bird. Again, you aren't going to get a club paying much for him.

So what do you do with Milford?

I'm thinking:

1. Drinkwater / Milford
2. Kennar / Vunivalu
3. Bird
4. Farnworth
5. Coates
6. Staggs
7. Dearden
8. Carrigan
9. Grant / Turpin (if you can't get Grain)
10. Welch
11. Glenn (c) / Bullemor transitioning in in 2021 hopefully)
12. Haas
13. Guerra

14. Paix
15. Flegler
16. Riki
17. Oates

18. Ofahenguie
19. Lodge

The other question is, Milford isn't going anywhere as no one will take on even half his wage, so what position do you prepare him for over the off season? Fullback or five-eighth? Given TPJ, Boyd, Kahu and Fifita are gone, there is already $1-2 million available, so I would keep Bird. Again, you aren't going to get a club paying much for him.

If someone offers to subsidise ANY of the wage of Bird / Milf, I'd ship them out in a heartbeat.

Otherwise, accept that they'll be here and try to make the best of it.

Let Milf fight it out for the 6 jersey, showing no preferential treatment just because of past glories or contract size. In fact, younger players who we can build around should have the inside track. He can play Q Cup all year for all I care.

Let Bird prove he can stay fit and compete for a role in the centres. Making him bulk to play in the forwards on those knees is stupid, and the added workload and responsibility of the 1 jersey isn't what he needs right now. Back in the 3/4 is where makes most sense for both him and us.

Cut our losses.

At this point, unless the club truly believes he can rediscover form in the 1 or 6, let him languish in the reserves and invest in someone that you believe has a long future at the club.

Dearden already looks like he owns the 7, so maybe give Paix a go at 6. I’d love to see what Herbie could do at 1 with a full off-season picking up some skills and building on them over time. I just love the way he fights for every inch and is hard to bring down. Seems to have good footy instincts too.

It would be a work in progress, and he would make some mistakes, but if the rest of the spine is settled and playing decent footy, I think he could be good back there.

If we’re all being honest, we all saw the fall coming.

Didn’t expect it to as long and drawn out and selfish as it’s been.

Keep the kids, Lodge, Te’o if he wants to go round again next year, and the fringe guys like Kennedy and Kennar (although he’s earned his spot atm).

Kick everyone else. Coach and Board included and start again. We’ll still have most of a starting side there. Make some astute old head signings for a year or two and then DO NOT re-sign them.

Keep the development strong but adopt the Roosters method (on a lesser scale) of signing players for a couple of years on medium wage and let them move on if they want to. The days of 8-10 players signed to the club for their career at the same time is over.

Is Glenn signed for next year? I actually don't mind the idea of Guerra on a one year deal.

Not keen on Welch just given his age, injury record and inexperience but being a Brisbane boy I wouldn't be too bothered if he joined provided we don't pay stupid money for him.

Is Glenn signed for next year? I actually don't mind the idea of Guerra on a one year deal.

Not keen on Welch just given his age, injury record and inexperience but being a Brisbane boy I wouldn't be too bothered if he joined provided we don't pay stupid money for him.

yes, ill happily listen to any post about Brisbane singing him; he would be a steady 6-7/10 performer each game he played and a great role model and trainer.

I guess Welch could also be considered for many of the above reasons. Wasnt that convicned by doing it but then the TPJ stuff broke out and.....lets face it, we have made a lot worse singings than him recently...

We need to sort out the new coach ASAP, we won't sign any players without paying massive overs until this one is gone and at least a half decent one is in place.

We need to sort out the new coach ASAP, we won't sign any players without paying massive overs until this one is gone and at least a half decent one is in place.
Exactly, and to tell you the truth we don't need to many signings. First and foremost is a leader , Smith would be ideal . Then an experienced forward j Bromwich or jwh , then if Milford hasn't improved we chase Munster. Not sure but I think most contracts will line up , and if we get Smith into a assistant role after we chase grant . All in a perfect world of course .

whatever position our ISC feeder team needs him for.

if the rumours are true that he refused to play fullback, despite what the coach believed was best for the team (regardless of whether you agree or not) ... then he can **** off, he has the wrong attitude to what is required to rebuild this club.

although i suppose, his attitude was obvious when he turned down Locky's help when he arrived

Exactly, and to tell you the truth we don't need to many signings. First and foremost is a leader , Smith would be ideal . Then an experienced forward j Bromwich or jwh , then if Milford hasn't improved we chase Munster. Not sure but I think most contracts will line up , and if we get Smith into a assistant role after we chase grant . All in a perfect world of course .
I think it would be easier for you to just start supporting the Storm and hope all the players stay loyal.

I cant say I know much about how Trades work in the NRL but I hope it's something the club is looking at.

First cab off the rank would be Milford, maybe to the cows for either Morgan or Clifford. In Clifford's case I suppose we would have to still pay part of Milfs Salary or somehow convince them to add someone to the deal. Next two would be Offa and Oates. I have not been watching many other NRL games this year so I dont really have any suggestions but I'm sure there are some options out there. Some people would probably say Lodge but i think we should give him next year at the very least to see if he comes good.

Given the lack of quality players available next year, making trades may be our best option, atleast if we want to be competitive next year.

Would love to hear other peoples suggestions?

For anyone that had suggested Euan Aitken, looks like he's off to the Warriors.

Active Now

• BroncsNBundy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.