Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

I’m convinced the nucleus is ok, just need to clear some deadwood and get in a board and coach that know what they are doing:

1. Drinkwater
2. Farnworth
3. Bird
4. Opacic
5. Coates
6. Staggs
7. Dearden
8. Welch
9. Grant
10. Haas (on reduced minutes)
11. Glenn
12. Guerra
13. Carrigan

14. Paix
15. Flegler
16. Lodge/Riki/bench signing
17. Oates
Guerra, yuck!

Was proctor dropped for dabbling with the old Columbian marching powder? This sort of potential gateway player is the last thing we need at the Broncos.
100% recruit for character. This is drastically needed for this team, seems like it doesn't rate highly with recruiters over the past few seasons.

Move on the talented flakes and keep the plodders with great team spirit like Macca.. even KNik.. force the clubs interests to be served first (make Knik play a bench role.. same with Macca instead of keeping the player managers happy).. The talk of bringing Flanagan in as a coach... NO! Please just No!

The talent will flow as it always has for a powerful club in a great catchment area like Brisbane.. but character is definitely needed. Brisbane have lost their way but normal service could resume shortly with sensible leadership and recruiting.

Last edited:
100% recruit for character. This is drastically needed for this team, seems like it doesn't rate highly with recruiters over the past few seasons.

Move on the talented flakes and keep the plodders with great team spirit like Macca.. even KNik.. force the clubs interests to be served first (make Knik play a bench role.. same with Macca instead of keeping the player managers happy).. The talk of bringing Flanagan in as a coach... NO! Please just No!

The talent will flow as it always has for a powerful club in a great catchment area like Brisbane.. but character is definitely needed. Brisbane have lost their way but normal service could resume shortly with sensible leadership and recruiting.

Wait there has been talk of Flanagan as coach?
This would be the nail in the coffin for me.

1. Nicho Hynes
2. Xavier Coates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Richard Kennar
6. Kyle Flanagan
7. Thomas Dearden
8. James Tamou
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn (C)
12. Jordan Riki
13. Pat Carrigan
14. Cory Paix
15. Jack Hetherington
16. Matt Lodge
17. Thomas Flegler
Coach: Kevin Walters

Firstly I emphasise that this is MY side and my opinion. I believe that 1-5 fairly speaks to itself - Nicho has been a solid consistent performer at the back when playing for the Storm as well as Staggs, Coates and farnworth really starting to get used to nrl (need to work on defence) and can add that level of spark on the edges. Even though this might be controversial I have been quite impressed with Kennar I think he has had solid runs out of our own end confident under the high ball and has snagged a few meat pies in a couple of games. The halves speaks for themselves really - flanagan I believe is now on the outer with Sam walker likely to slot into that 7 jumper (especially now that he will probably debut next week) meaning that Flanagan will probably be looking for a release and considering no clubs are desperate for a half he’s really there for the taking (**Dearden speaks for himself). The forward pack Haas, Glenn and Carrigan stay the same. I have Riki slotting into the 2nd row position as it is most likely and I can legitimately see us making a play at James Tamou. The bench I have Cory paix backing up Turpin and eventually would like to see Reece Walsh there however for the time being paix. Also have jack hetherington would be a nice signing he is aggressive and passionate and will be much cheaper and easier to drop if he does start to become ill-disciplined unlike it was with pangai. finally lodge and Flegler as our bench props.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely dreaming, but here's what I'd aim for in 2021 with what's available.
1 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (C) -Israel Folau, Nicho Hynes are other options
2 Herbie Farnworth
3 Jack Bird
4 Brian Kelly
5 Xavier Coates
6 Kotoni Staggs (GK)
7 Thomas Dearden
8 Payne Haas
9 Harry Grant -Ben Hunt strictly as a hooker
10 Jesse Bromwich (C) - Lindsay Collins
11 Alex Glenn
12 Iosia Soliola
13 Patrick Carrigan (VC)

14 Jake Turpin
15 Thomas Flegler
16 Matt Lodge
17 Corey Oates

18 Tristan Sailor
19 Ethan Bullemore
20 Corey Paix
21 Jordan Riki

22 Jamayne Isaako
23 Richie Kennar
24 Jesse Arthurs
25 Tyson Gamble
26 Brodie Croft
27 Rhys Kennedy
28 Kobe Hetherington
29 Joe Ofahengaue
30 Ben Te’o

Head coach
Kevin Walters
Assistant coaches
Michael Hagan (Assistant Coach)
Justin Hodges (Assistant Coach)
Allan Langer (Assistant Coach)
Brad Thorn (Assistant Coach)

the same character who thought he'd turn into Hannibal Lector and bite Shaun Johnson during todays game...?

Duly sent off....

100% recruit for character...

100% no fucking way....

By the time his suspension is over for that incident we should have fixed ourselves...

Making new players who never have played a game for Brisbane reminds me of How we used to play cricket as kids. Your captain wasn’t the skilled captain it was your favourite player [emoji23]

I'm absolutely dreaming, but here's what I'd aim for in 2021 with what's available.
1 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (C) -Israel Folau, Nicho Hynes are other options
2 Herbie Farnworth
3 Jack Bird
4 Brian Kelly
5 Xavier Coates
6 Kotoni Staggs (GK)
7 Thomas Dearden
8 Payne Haas
9 Harry Grant -Ben Hunt strictly as a hooker
10 Jesse Bromwich (C) - Lindsay Collins
11 Alex Glenn
12 Iosia Soliola
13 Patrick Carrigan (VC)

14 Jake Turpin
15 Thomas Flegler
16 Matt Lodge
17 Corey Oates

18 Tristan Sailor
19 Ethan Bullemore
20 Corey Paix
21 Jordan Riki

22 Jamayne Isaako
23 Richie Kennar
24 Jesse Arthurs
25 Tyson Gamble
26 Brodie Croft
27 Rhys Kennedy
28 Kobe Hetherington
29 Joe Ofahengaue
30 Ben Te’o

Head coach
Kevin Walters
Assistant coaches
Michael Hagan (Assistant Coach)
Justin Hodges (Assistant Coach)
Allan Langer (Assistant Coach)
Brad Thorn (Assistant Coach)
I rate Kelly from the Titans. When I suggested him last season it went down like a lead balloon.

Even this year I wouldn’t say he’s our best option. We don’t have many options. I’d rather we somehow get Gagai here and play him on the wing and Farnworth at centre. Or sign a 6 worth a shit and move Kotoni back to centre.

Can someone sell me on Staggs in the halves? He seems like a centre that's a bit of a ball hog so far. You'd probably need some gun ball players at 9 and 1 as well to make it work.

Can someone sell me on Staggs in the halves? He seems like a centre that's a bit of a ball hog so far. You'd probably need some gun ball players at 9 and 1 as well to make it work.
Running, creative, always involved, competitor. I’d like him to be our fullback at the moment though

I think those that are calling for him in the 6 want him there for his running ability and his ability to break a tackle. His line breaks from 6 would be potentially pretty awesome. Also his barge over tries would be on the cards too, but I've yet to see his passing and his ability to setup a fellow player. He's not that crash hot setting up his winger so far.

He played in the halves when tonga beat australia and did well when he filled in that position when we beat souths this season (early second half around his 3rd try). His defensive reads are a lot better in the halves (his misreads are a liability in the centres). It gets an attacking threat closer to the ball with more room to move, will attract defenders opening up space for second rower and outside backs. He has a decent short ball, flick pass and offload and i think he could develop his passing game further. It would also enable bird to get back to right centre where his communication could really help coates develop his defensive reads. Could be worth an experiment?

If we were to get hynes in at fullback he could accommodate the general play kicking duties with dearden as he has a decent boot on him as he has played both halves and fullback in lower grades.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Strop
  • Skathen
  • Stix
  • Nerd
  • Alec
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  • Xzei
  • Mister Wright
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncos4life
  • abashii
  • FACTHUNT
  • Old Mate
  • marw
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.