Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

I'd be checking that Knife for Waynes fingerprints if i were you
Bennett's fingerprints? That'll do me...

Tell me, if White, Morris, Lockyer and Co all still have their jobs, all got what they wanted (Bennett gone and a new Coach entirely of their choosing in place) and the only casualty through the entire fiasco was Wayne Bennett, how exactly are you going to construe that Bennett is guilty of knifing anyone?

The current administration are STILL here, not Bennett, so the only people to blame for the utter shambles the place is currently in are the halfwits who were determined to knife Bennett regardless of what Coach they could get to replace him and who are now too arrogant to realise they probably should be knifing themselves.

Last edited:
Milford at Fullback I'm not sure about. Most of the Fullbacks playing at the moment have the ability to bust through tackles. A lot of upper body strength. Even Matt Dufty who is quite small has strong upper body strength.
Milford struggles there last year.
I don't agree with that , milf has always been good at busting takles and standing in tackles for offloads.

To be fair he hasn't had a consistent halves partner for years, this season has just been a ride off and I won't be judging anyone on it.

Hopefully he does ride off into a new club.

Milford at Fullback I'm not sure about. Most of the Fullbacks playing at the moment have the ability to bust through tackles. A lot of upper body strength. Even Matt Dufty who is quite small has strong upper body strength.
Milford struggles there last year.

If only Milford would do those extra reps in the gym.

This. We'd be better off with Isaako, average as he is.

What does Milford bring at fullback?
Fitness - No
Support play - No
Positioning - No
Talk - No

Add to this the strength and pace at top speed. He has good footwork when fit and agile, but meters at the back are hard to achieve now when running from a corner or sideline.

If we have cap space, and there is no one on offer that the new coach wants to target, I would be front ending some contracts next year to give us more scope when there is quality on the market. Realistically, we need a hard head experienced prop, a quality fullback and a competent tough centre. Give Turpin and Paix next year, if there is not a marked improvement there, go for a quality hooker.

I think we need to start looking for a quality / experienced second rower too. Even if TPJ keeps his head on and doesn’t do something crazy, he seems destined to float between second row and the front row, for the rest of his career. Alex Glenn will be gone by the end of next year I expect, so I can see a real need for an experienced back rower to support the plethora of younger ones we have, who in my opinion aren’t ready yet to take on more than bench duties...

I think we need to start looking for a quality / experienced second rower too. Even if TPJ keeps his head on and doesn’t do something crazy, he seems destined to float between second row and the front row, for the rest of his career. Alex Glenn will be gone by the end of next year I expect, so I can see a real need for an experienced back rower to support the plethora of younger ones we have, who in my opinion aren’t ready yet to take on more than bench duties...

This is where the hope for getting Capewell comes in.

I don't agree with that , milf has always been good at busting takles and standing in tackles for offloads.
This is true but often he's pedestrian already when standing in those tackles.
The way modern defensives are most of the fullback make most of their plays through the middle. I was watching Milf from fullback during his times at Canberra. He was faster, he was great in broken play, but there wasn't much him up the middle busting through big forward hits. This is something players like, Slater, Todesco, and especially Turbo and now Mitchell are doing, because they are big guys. If you look at the fullbacks in most teams, most of them are able to do that. Even Valentine Holmes has that ability. Plus all of those players are HUNGRY for the ball.
I'm not sure I see that in Milford. Moving a 5/8 back to fullback seems counter intuitive. I see it as another case of just trying to accommodate him hoping he regains his 15/16 season form.
Personally I don't have a problem with him playing 5/8. We've got him for another year at a million. It's there or the bench for me. Love him as a player, and feel most of the blame has fallen on his shoulders unfairly. I could be wrong, but I would prefer a completely different player at fullback.

Bennett back as coaching director plus taking the reins of the Qld team giving him and his ego a solo coaching gig for part of the year as well as giving the Broncos club direct access to Qld players for a nudge our way and introducing the passion of Walters back into the club getting the current players more involved with the club legends and a solid coaching supporting staff...i'd take this scenario right now, sign me up.
Alas, if it was only that simple.

This is true but often he's pedestrian already when standing in those tackles.
The way modern defensives are most of the fullback make most of their plays through the middle. I was watching Milf from fullback during his times at Canberra. He was faster, he was great in broken play, but there wasn't much him up the middle busting through big forward hits. This is something players like, Slater, Todesco, and especially Turbo and now Mitchell are doing, because they are big guys. If you look at the fullbacks in most teams, most of them are able to do that. Even Valentine Holmes has that ability. Plus all of those players are HUNGRY for the ball.
I'm not sure I see that in Milford. Moving a 5/8 back to fullback seems counter intuitive. I see it as another case of just trying to accommodate him hoping he regains his 15/16 season form.
Personally I don't have a problem with him playing 5/8. We've got him for another year at a million. It's there or the bench for me. Love him as a player, and feel most of the blame has fallen on his shoulders unfairly. I could be wrong, but I would prefer a completely different player at fullback.
I agree, have never seen him as a fullback.

He hasn’t been a consistent halves partner for years either
Exactly this, he deserves to have the cross hairs on him now. He has had over half a dozen partners and they all end up shafted. He is close to being one of the worst halfs in the game at this point. 4 try assists and 1 line break assist for a 5/8 in his 5th season , terrible.

To be fair he hasn't had a consistent halves partner for years, this season has just been a ride off and I won't be judging anyone on it.

This.

And it is more than just our revolving door of halves. I find it hard to comprehend how anybody can judge anybody in this team, and the team as a whole, fractured and tattered as it has been, under Seibold, and the reign of terror, the circumstances, of the club in which Bennett was shown the door and Seibold ushered in through another, separate to our unbalanced roster.

For mine, using the last 2 seasons as a criterion to assess our quality and potential moving forward is just plainly misleading and counterproductive. On that simplistic measure, we should get rid of almost the entire roster and not just Milford who continues to be a convenient target for those who measure his performances, substandard ones at that, purely on the value of his contract, which, like Darius, was offered to him by the club. His performances ought to be assessed in context, the same context that applies to almost every other player, and the team(s) as a whole, for example, shit club management, shit coach, injuries, poor recruitment (lousy roster balance), no quality spine (constant revolving door) and critically, no leadership on and off the field. No wonder confidence, morale and thus performances are poor.

IMO, we need to wait for our new coach and his staff to get the mess sorted, a settled roster, injuries healed, combinations settled and working, and then start assessing what this side is capable of as a team, and in terms of individual performances. Then, and only then for mine, we will have a much more reliable, a more accurate and also a fairer methodology to assess a player's dollar value.

On the question of Milford at FB, I agree with those who say that his days there are over, or should be. He was brought here as a 5/8 and in that position has shown clearly what he is capable of - with a quality halves partner, and, for mine, at his best (which I hope to start seeing next year) he shits all over a broken Foran, although Foran at his best was one of the very best.

Bring on Kevvie and let's get the future happening. I for one am sick of this past, the recession we did not have to have.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Astro
  • broncos4life
  • Jedhead
  • marw
  • Bish
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Spooky1013
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • NSW stables
  • teampjta
  • Old Mate
  • Strop
  • broncsgoat
  • Skathen
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Battler
  • Culhwch
  • Wolfie
  • TonyTheJugoslav
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.