Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

Can we just extend Dearden and Staggs pre Nov 1. This club hasn’t got much right in the last few years, but we cannot let either of these two leave.
Just fkn get it done.

Yeah this. I understand not wanting to make recruitment decisions before the coach is appointed but surely no coach is going to be unhappy with retaining Dearden and Staggs.

can i just say, that whilst on paper it makes total sense, but Bird just doenst have a future as a ball playing lock for us..

Which sucks, cause hed be fantastic...

The reason is there are suspicions the sternum injury he has carried for years is now systemic and wont leave him.

So therefore medical advice would probably preclude him from playing in the forwards...

Again, it sucks...it really does, he could potentially be in the Murray/Radley clas of lock.....

P.S - Re-sign Dearden now... (see what i did there Foordy)

can i just say, that whilst on paper it makes total sense, but Bird just doenst have a future as a ball playing lock for us..

Which sucks, cause hed be fantastic...

The reason is there are suspicions the sternum injury he has carried for years is now systemic and wont leave him.

So therefore medical advice would probably preclude him from playing in the forwards...

Again, it sucks...it really does, he could potentially be in the Murray/Radley clas of lock.....

P.S - Re-sign Dearden now... (see what i did there Foordy)

I also fear for his knee playing as FB, given the forces applied to it in lateral movements, and stepping, accelerating through holes, etc.

Depending on the makeup of the rest of the squad, the three obvious positions Jack Bird could play, if we decide to keep him, are five-eighth, fullback or centre. Given Birds injury run though, I would be avoiding playing him at fullback straight away.

However, if he has lost a bit of pace due to his injuries, I think he could make the transition to the backrow. I think he could be a very good backrower on our right edge next to Dearden and Staggs. He would offer us plenty there in terms of energy, ball playing, offloading, toughness, competitiveness, and he can also hit a hole. As a backrower, I think he would be a sort of mix between Wade Graham and John Bateman.

Even if we don’t make a single change to our roster, outside of players already confirmed to be leaving or off contract at the end of the year, we have enough talent for a decent coach to finish 6-10. Our team on paper at full strength isn’t a bottom 8 team. A good run of luck with injuries and a half competent coach that plays to their strengths should see a pretty quick turn around.

1. Isaako/Nui
2. Farnworth
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. Coates
6: Milford
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn (c)
12. TPJ
13. Carrigan

14. Paix/Macca
15. Flegler
16. Offa/Kennedy
17. Oates/Riki/Bullimor

obviously there are players there I think should be moved off if possible, or have the contracts significantly lowered (Offa, Bird, Milf, Macca, Oates, Lodge) and I think if the right players become available we should make some signings (fullback and a prop especially). But worst case scenario being that nothing in the roster changes - theres no reason a decent coach can’t scrape that squad into 8th place.

BADEL WARNING

Wayne apparently said - he could bury the hatchet with the Broncos bosses who sacked him two years ago.

Also - humbled by the fact we might all be big enough to move on from where we were two years ago.

But - Things with the Broncos are speculative at this stage. Right now, I’m happy where I am and I enjoy coaching the team at South Sydney.”

Wayne - who has delivered all six of Brisbane’s premierships admits he has been deeply saddened by the Broncos’ slide into the NRL cellar.

Perhaps It could work. Not so sure Kevvie would agree.

Last edited:
BADEL WARNING

Wayne apparently said - he could bury the hatchet with the Broncos bosses who sacked him two years ago.

Also - humbled by the fact we might all be big enough to move on from where we were two years ago.

But - Things with the Broncos are speculative at this stage. Right now, I’m happy where I am and I enjoy coaching the team at South Sydney.”

Wayne - who has delivered all six of Brisbane’s premierships admits he has been deeply saddened by the Broncos’ slide into the NRL cellar.

Perhaps It could work. Not so sure Kevvie would agree.
Certainly won't hurt having him around. The Broncos have proven to be a total basket case in the 8 years that he hasn't been involved. That will never change. Employ him for life and if he lives to 100 yo then it'll mean that they will be at least be contenders for the next 30 years.

Even if we don’t make a single change to our roster, outside of players already confirmed to be leaving or off contract at the end of the year, we have enough talent for a decent coach to finish 6-10. Our team on paper at full strength isn’t a bottom 8 team. A good run of luck with injuries and a half competent coach that plays to their strengths should see a pretty quick turn around.

1. Isaako/Nui
2. Farnworth
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. Coates
6: Milford
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn (c)
12. TPJ
13. Carrigan

14. Paix/Macca
15. Flegler
16. Offa/Kennedy
17. Oates/Riki/Bullimor

obviously there are players there I think should be moved off if possible, or have the contracts significantly lowered (Offa, Bird, Milf, Macca, Oates, Lodge) and I think if the right players become available we should make some signings (fullback and a prop especially). But worst case scenario being that nothing in the roster changes - theres no reason a decent coach can’t scrape that squad into 8th place.
Realistically we almost certainly will make a couple of signings. Just in Boyd and Fifita who are confirmed as moving on there is a substantial chunk of cash available. Then you have the likes of Kahu who is almost certainly moving on at 400k a year, plus the possibility of Macca moving on if he can find another home, so there is another large chunk of cash. If you then had someone like Offa and/or Bird go too, you've got a pretty hand war chest overall.

Whether we manage to spend hat prudently is another matter entirely, but the facts remain that the funds should almost certainly be there for some decent incoming talent.

Realistically we almost certainly will make a couple of signings. Just in Boyd and Fifita who are confirmed as moving on there is a substantial chunk of cash available. Then you have the likes of Kahu who is almost certainly moving on at 400k a year, plus the possibility of Macca moving on if he can find another home, so there is another large chunk of cash. If you then had someone like Offa and/or Bird go too, you've got a pretty hand war chest overall.

Whether we manage to spend hat prudently is another matter entirely, but the facts remain that the funds should almost certainly be there for some decent incoming talent.

Yeah I agree we should have plenty of cash available but unfortunately it is a sellers market and will be for awhile.
We should resist any big name signings because we will end up paying overs for them.
Better a couple of solid reliable no nonsense types and keep trying to bring promising juniors through.
This won’t bring instant success but will hopefully see the end of the shitstorm we have been in the last 2 yrs.

The key is to look for the contracted gems who suddenly become available. I suspect there will be a few in the post-season, starting with one of the Storm 9s.

The key is to look for the contracted gems who suddenly become available. I suspect there will be a few in the post-season, starting with one of the Storm 9s.

TBF.....most of the league is awaiting news on this front also...

Yep, plus there has been a lot of Coaching movement and that always brings about winners and losers for the incumbent players and some of those guys with their noses out of joint might be quite happy to move to a new club if the money was right.

Personally I think of all the possibilities outside Cam Smith or the Storm Hookers who I don't see as likely, Ben Hunt strikes me as the most realistically possible and the one who would benefit us the most as a full time Dummy Half.

Last edited:
Yep, plus there has been a lot of Coaching movement and that always brings about winners and losers for the incumbent players and some of those guys with their noses out of joint might be quite happy to move to a new club if the money was right.

Personally I think of all the possibilities outside Cam Smith or the Storm Hookers who I don't see as likely, Ben Hunt strikes me as the most realistically possible and the one who would benefit us the most as a full time Dummy Half.

I wonder if Hook would go for a Offa/Macca swap for Hunt

I just watched Wayne barraged with questions about returning to Brisbane on NRL.com, he was typical Wayne in the sense that he didn't really answer anything. But my overall feeling was that he certainly would be open to returning, that part is apparent.

I just watched Wayne barraged with questions about returning to Brisbane on NRL.com, he was typical Wayne in the sense that he didn't really answer anything. But my overall feeling was that he certainly would be open to returning, that part is apparent.
With Wayne publicly backing Walters as head coach, I would be excited by Wayne in a GM role and Walters as head coach. At least the culture will be in full force, and Wayne on the phone to players will be great for recruitment and retention. The only thing that scares me is the Darius and Gillett contracts.

Active Now

• Browny
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • sooticus
  • Galah
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncos4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • simplythebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.