Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

Let's say that after Bird leaving (yes I know Macca is returning on big money which is just dumb), Boyd's retirement and we still have some of the money set aside for Fifita available (and hopefully we can offload some deadwood (Joffa, Milford, Croft) in the off season, who do you target for NEXT season? Remember that we have 6 spots left, so at least four of them need to be on / close to minimum wage, so let's say by some miracle there is $900k left - which players do you try and bring in over the off season?

I'd argue:

1. Allan - $300k
2. Capewell - $300k
3. Asiata - $300k (apparently already signed unfortunately, otherwise I wouldn't go for him here)
4. Lui - Close to min wage (yes I know I am totally dreaming)
5. H.Hunt/Tuala - Close to min wage (unlikely but hey, who knows right?)
6. Copley - min wage (apparently already signed)

All of this is irrelevant if Grant becomes available, you drop everything for him, you even let Staggs/Flegler walk early if you have to.

As for 2022, that is where we will finally have a war chest and again, Grant is the first target and you offer him whatever he wants.

Lets be honest.

Kev will be an improvement over Pies, how could you not be?

But... How on earth can the Broncs challenge a team with such quality that Harry Grant gets loaned out to a rival?

Our pipeline is dripping and leaking while the Sunny Coast Storm are soaked in gushing geysers of talent....

That might be an issue to fix.

After watching Haas lately I’d be giving him 25 minutes a game for the first few months of 2021 and telling him to go all out for that time. Get aggressive son!
I'd be giving him a rest. A big, long rest.

Honestly if he didn't want to come back until well into January I'd have absolutely no problem with that. The poor bloke looks spent and some time away from footy would do him the world of good.

If that meant he sat out or only played limited minutes for a couple of Rounds initially I think that might even be worth it for the long term payoff.

Last edited:
As long as he’s aware why he’s getting limited minutes and doesn’t take it personally and is utilised correctly he will be better off for it. The bloke deserves a break more than anyone.

I'd be giving him a rest. A big, long rest.

Honestly if he didn't want to come back until well into January I'd have absolutely no problem with that. The poor bloke looks spent and some time away from footy would do him the world of good.

If that meant he sat out or only played limited minutes for a couple of Rounds initially I think that might even be worth it for the long term payoff.
Yeah my thoughts exactly. I think he made 35 meters or something last night, poor guy looked mentally and physically beat. Thining about it now, his little strike out at Tino last week was probably a mix of mental fatigue and pure frustration at the year he's had.

I'd like to think Kevvie or one of our staff give him a quick call today to check in on him then tell him we'll see you January 5th mate and leave him alone for the next 6-7 weeks.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. I think he made 35 meters or something last night, poor guy looked mentally and physically beat. Thining about it now, his little strike out at Tino last week was probably a mix of mental fatigue and pure frustration at the year he's had.

I'd like to think Kevvie or one of our staff give him a quick call today to check in on him then tell him we'll see you January 5th mate and leave him alone for the next 6-7 weeks.
He got absolutely monstered toward the end. QLD forced him back about 15m. I’ve never seen anything even close to that happen to him before. The poor kid is spent.

So next year, let's say hypothetically Copley and Asiata are the only two ins, what side do we run out round 1?

So next year, let's say hypothetically Copley and Asiata are the only two ins, what side do we run out round 1?
1. Issako
2. Kennar
3. Herbie
4. Copely
5. Coates
6. Milf
7. Deardon
8. Hass
9. Macca
10. Lodge
11. Glenn
12. Riki
13. TPJ
14. Turpin
15. Carrigan
16. Flegler
17. Asiata

Based off 2020 form kennar is chosen over oates. Issako wasn't bad as fullback and even looked good on some periods so probably best option at fullback. Macca to start at 9 with instructions to tackle his ass off and hold the middle tight. Turpin on after 30 mins and to play the final 50 mins.

Tpj and Asiata to rotate the lock role to provide something different in terms of ball playing/ offload/ late footowork. The other forwards can be used as battering rams running off the back fence. Riki and Glenn are less then a brilliant second row paring but should be serviceable.

There's shitlaods of possible other combination's you could go with but there's really question marks from 1-17 on this team to be fair.

Not a great one.

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Copley / Kenner (until Staggs returns)
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. TPJ
13. Carrigan

14. Turpin
15. Asiata
16. Flegler
17. Offa/Riki/Bullimor

Remind us again how that went last time.
Admittedly there is no ideal hooker combinations as it stands but i just like the idea of his high defensive work rate early on, i don't know how effective turpin is over 80 mins. Tbh I'd probably prefer luke over macca as he offers similar for 3/4 of the price. However it doesn't appear we will keep luke with maccas returning and Turpin and paix in the squad.

Not a great one.

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Copley / Kenner (until Staggs returns)
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. TPJ
13. Carrigan

14. Turpin
15. Asiata
16. Flegler
17. Offa/Riki/Bullimor

Unless kevvie can work some magic we will struggle to make the eight with that list.

I wouldn't rule out Allan yet. There is still plenty of time to make that happen and I think both clubs would have plenty of reason to see a deal come off.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Evander
  • Hurrijo
  • Johnny92
  • KateBroncos1812
  • johnny plath
  • Bucking Beads
  • The True King
  • BroncoFan94
  • Jazza
  • winslow_wong
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • kiwi2
  • Fozz
  • bazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • levikaden
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.