COMPLETE Where's Isaako

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the key reasons why the club and the fans went off of Jamayne is because he sat down with the Wests Tigers before he was off contract. It's no surprise that both him and Pangai were on the outer from that point on.

I was really excited for the Isaako signing when it happened. He was a genuine prospect out at Cronulla and it was nice to see the Broncos actually examine the lay of the land and bring in players who were playing good footy at a higher level. I was so used to them just sticking solid with what they had even though they'd clearly peaked or hinging on players wanting to move home like David Hala or Joe Ofahengaue.

My first impression of Jamayne in a Broncos jersey was lousy. It was an Auckland 9s game against Manly where Matt Parcell ran around Isaako who showed no urgency to get to a loose kick. I wasn't going to write him off because of that moment but it was clear that Bennett was going to have to get his hooks into him. He wasn't just a natural talent, there were aspects that needed fixing.

I watched him play for the 20s who were going through a rebuild. He was largely playing down the right-hand side and had really good agility that would often see him beat his opposite one on one. He could really trouble the opposition and while he couldn't quite put the pieces together, if the Broncos could string another play together and go for a second-man shift to Allan they'd usually score. Unfortunately for Jamayne his defence was shocking, he could just never get his timing right and if he got his target down he rarely met them with a strong tackle.

I think this was magnified when he made the step up to QCup where he was shocking. It appeared that he had hit his ceiling until he went to fullback. That took the defence out of the equation and since he was allowed to run more and use his foot-work he was able to make a positive difference. There were definitely weeks there where it seemed like Darius had his work cut out for him. However, there were positional issues he wasn't quite aware of and unless things went his way he could really be found wanting.

Still it seemed like his spot and it wasn't surprising at all to see Bennett give him a chance later that year against Newcastle.

Now I was never really convinced that Jamayne was a winger. His biggest asset was his foot-work which is difficult to implement when you're up against the sideline. His work under the high ball never filled me with confidence either but I knew that Bennett would find a way to get it to work. By this point, Isaako had three seasons under his belt, it was now or never and that incident that occurred in Auckland wasn't going to resurface.

Sure enough, Jamayne was one of the Broncos better players and while he clearly wasn't a natural winger he had just enough talent to compensate for it. Of course it wasn't all smooth sailing and I still remember his first real shocker against the Titans on Easter Sunday. Brisbane were coming off two really big morale boosting games against a wayward Titans outfit and the Broncos just couldn't get out of their own end. Sure there was plenty of blame to go around that night, but after the heroics the week before against the Tigers it was a reality check for Jamayne.

Still Jamayne bounced back and while he really struggled with the high kicks there was a footy player there. With Boyd really starting to show signs of slowing down, it seemed like Isaako really deserved an opportunity at 1. He actually denied his former club victory with the toe of his boot in a game there and was one of the Broncos best in the three weeks he played. However the Broncos really didn't have the depth to compensate for the move, Darius struggled in the centres and Kahu had an absolute shocker against the Bulldogs. I'd like to think he was haunted by the corresponding game last year where he came up with a mistake during a critical time...

Anyways, Jamayne went back to the wing for the benefit of the team but long-term it appeared 1 would be his role.

I still remember the trial game that year where Boyd was having an unhappy night and the Titans were well on top. Then as soon as they put Isaako to 1, suddenly the complexion of the Broncos sets began to change and Brisbane managed to pull off a sweet victory. It seemed pretty clear that Isaako ought to be the 1 sooner than later but it just never happened. He just languished on the right wing while the players around him were departing the club. Su'A, Nikorima, Roberts etc. the players he spent the bulk of 2018 all gone. Isaako rarely saw many opportunities until Staggs started to find his feet, but it was pretty clear a year that should have gone into developing him as a 1 was completely lost.

So 2020 Seibold decides to give Isaako his shot at fullback. Better later than never, would have been nice if we made the move when he was playing good footy and he had a better team around him but maybe they can salvage something...

...mid-way through pre-season Seibold opts to go with Jack Bird coming back from an ACL. Now Jack is a great talent, a natural footballer who could play well in any jersey you give him when fit. That was a ridiculous move in hindsight, especially given Bird would suffer another injury before the season proper that effectively ended his time at the club.

Isaako gets it by default and what do you know, he's actually among the Broncos best players and is a marked improvement over Boyd. Brisbane go 2-0 against all odds before the season shuts down, different clubs are given completely different impressions about the resumption and rule changes are brought in at the behest of broadcasters. The draw is also rewritten and Brisbane being a marquee town get all the tough teams and the team gets beaten into a pulp. Seibold is looking for answers, he's like a BHQ user, he's dropped everyone but somehow the team isn't performing. Who knew the job of a coach is actually to get players to perform, not just make team list changes.

Of all the players to get dropped Isaako was the least deserving but whatever he got sent to the sin-bin after Ponga milked a penalty. They decide to rush in Tesi Niu who was actually being transitioned into the centres before the pandemic hit. Tesi was a potential blue chip player but he was so early into his development and sure enough, he's making all sorts of mistakes under the high ball, blowing easy draw and passes and the entire team just falls apart. Jamayne really starts to drop off around this time with the Wests Tigers game just being really hard to watch. He was playing poorly, he wanted to make his dad proud before he passed on but no one can help him and no one believes in him.

2021 Kev returns and gives him a shot and he does OK. In the two wins the Broncos enjoy he's among the best on the park but the team is still struggling and Kev is like a BHQ poster, he's great at dropping players but really can't get the replacements to step up for more than one game. He takes a meeting with his NZ coach to see what he has to say while they meet with Pangai Jr. The club isn't impressed and Isaako makes one of the worst mistakes of his career - the dreaded Auckland 9s mistake against the Dragons and that's him finished as the first choice fullback for the Broncos.

The best thing to happen to Isaako in a long time was the admittance of the Dolphins. With so little talent available, he's valuable signing for Bennett and somebody he knows who gets the program and will do his best. At that point the writing was on the wall and despite putting in another solid effort during the trials and the season opener Isaako was free to leave. I thought he'd end up at the Eels who have a tendency to get the best out of struggling players but he's opted for the Titans. I genuinely wish him well tonight, I think he's a Holbrook type of signing like an Esan Marsters, Paul Turner, Will Smith, Corey Thompson type who have some impressive skills but don't seem to have any real ego. Low maintenance players who just want to give their best.
Thanks Pete....as always, a pleasure to read. 👍

Baiting is not cool.
You're right. I look forward to Huge's apology for baiting. Insults too.
Who is fullback for the Titans in round 4? Why, it's Jamayne Isaako! Keen students of the game and those with fabulous memories will no doubt recall he once played for the Brisbane Broncos. Despite a bleak future being forecast by multiple numpties he has once again been selected for first grade by yet another coach who clearly knows nothing about rugby league.

Even more surprising is that the position he is playing is fullback. I say surprising because according to poorly placed sources with little intelligence he cannot play fullback and isn't even reserve grade standard. How another befuddled coach has been hoodwinked is anyone's guess.

We all know this is headed for disaster and only Will Smith's mental breakdown has stopped this from being the biggest shock in 2022.

One of the key reasons why the club and the fans went off of Jamayne is because he sat down with the Wests Tigers before he was off contract. It's no surprise that both him and Pangai were on the outer from that point on.

I was really excited for the Isaako signing when it happened. He was a genuine prospect out at Cronulla and it was nice to see the Broncos actually examine the lay of the land and bring in players who were playing good footy at a higher level. I was so used to them just sticking solid with what they had even though they'd clearly peaked or hinging on players wanting to move home like David Hala or Joe Ofahengaue.

My first impression of Jamayne in a Broncos jersey was lousy. It was an Auckland 9s game against Manly where Matt Parcell ran around Isaako who showed no urgency to get to a loose kick. I wasn't going to write him off because of that moment but it was clear that Bennett was going to have to get his hooks into him. He wasn't just a natural talent, there were aspects that needed fixing.

I watched him play for the 20s who were going through a rebuild. He was largely playing down the right-hand side and had really good agility that would often see him beat his opposite one on one. He could really trouble the opposition and while he couldn't quite put the pieces together, if the Broncos could string another play together and go for a second-man shift to Allan they'd usually score. Unfortunately for Jamayne his defence was shocking, he could just never get his timing right and if he got his target down he rarely met them with a strong tackle.

I think this was magnified when he made the step up to QCup where he was shocking. It appeared that he had hit his ceiling until he went to fullback. That took the defence out of the equation and since he was allowed to run more and use his foot-work he was able to make a positive difference. There were definitely weeks there where it seemed like Darius had his work cut out for him. However, there were positional issues he wasn't quite aware of and unless things went his way he could really be found wanting.

Still it seemed like his spot and it wasn't surprising at all to see Bennett give him a chance later that year against Newcastle.

Now I was never really convinced that Jamayne was a winger. His biggest asset was his foot-work which is difficult to implement when you're up against the sideline. His work under the high ball never filled me with confidence either but I knew that Bennett would find a way to get it to work. By this point, Isaako had three seasons under his belt, it was now or never and that incident that occurred in Auckland wasn't going to resurface.

Sure enough, Jamayne was one of the Broncos better players and while he clearly wasn't a natural winger he had just enough talent to compensate for it. Of course it wasn't all smooth sailing and I still remember his first real shocker against the Titans on Easter Sunday. Brisbane were coming off two really big morale boosting games against a wayward Titans outfit and the Broncos just couldn't get out of their own end. Sure there was plenty of blame to go around that night, but after the heroics the week before against the Tigers it was a reality check for Jamayne.

Still Jamayne bounced back and while he really struggled with the high kicks there was a footy player there. With Boyd really starting to show signs of slowing down, it seemed like Isaako really deserved an opportunity at 1. He actually denied his former club victory with the toe of his boot in a game there and was one of the Broncos best in the three weeks he played. However the Broncos really didn't have the depth to compensate for the move, Darius struggled in the centres and Kahu had an absolute shocker against the Bulldogs. I'd like to think he was haunted by the corresponding game last year where he came up with a mistake during a critical time...

Anyways, Jamayne went back to the wing for the benefit of the team but long-term it appeared 1 would be his role.

I still remember the trial game that year where Boyd was having an unhappy night and the Titans were well on top. Then as soon as they put Isaako to 1, suddenly the complexion of the Broncos sets began to change and Brisbane managed to pull off a sweet victory. It seemed pretty clear that Isaako ought to be the 1 sooner than later but it just never happened. He just languished on the right wing while the players around him were departing the club. Su'A, Nikorima, Roberts etc. the players he spent the bulk of 2018 all gone. Isaako rarely saw many opportunities until Staggs started to find his feet, but it was pretty clear a year that should have gone into developing him as a 1 was completely lost.

So 2020 Seibold decides to give Isaako his shot at fullback. Better later than never, would have been nice if we made the move when he was playing good footy and he had a better team around him but maybe they can salvage something...

...mid-way through pre-season Seibold opts to go with Jack Bird coming back from an ACL. Now Jack is a great talent, a natural footballer who could play well in any jersey you give him when fit. That was a ridiculous move in hindsight, especially given Bird would suffer another injury before the season proper that effectively ended his time at the club.

Isaako gets it by default and what do you know, he's actually among the Broncos best players and is a marked improvement over Boyd. Brisbane go 2-0 against all odds before the season shuts down, different clubs are given completely different impressions about the resumption and rule changes are brought in at the behest of broadcasters. The draw is also rewritten and Brisbane being a marquee town get all the tough teams and the team gets beaten into a pulp. Seibold is looking for answers, he's like a BHQ user, he's dropped everyone but somehow the team isn't performing. Who knew the job of a coach is actually to get players to perform, not just make team list changes.

Of all the players to get dropped Isaako was the least deserving but whatever he got sent to the sin-bin after Ponga milked a penalty. They decide to rush in Tesi Niu who was actually being transitioned into the centres before the pandemic hit. Tesi was a potential blue chip player but he was so early into his development and sure enough, he's making all sorts of mistakes under the high ball, blowing easy draw and passes and the entire team just falls apart. Jamayne really starts to drop off around this time with the Wests Tigers game just being really hard to watch. He was playing poorly, he wanted to make his dad proud before he passed on but no one can help him and no one believes in him.

2021 Kev returns and gives him a shot and he does OK. In the two wins the Broncos enjoy he's among the best on the park but the team is still struggling and Kev is like a BHQ poster, he's great at dropping players but really can't get the replacements to step up for more than one game. He takes a meeting with his NZ coach to see what he has to say while they meet with Pangai Jr. The club isn't impressed and Isaako makes one of the worst mistakes of his career - the dreaded Auckland 9s mistake against the Dragons and that's him finished as the first choice fullback for the Broncos.

The best thing to happen to Isaako in a long time was the admittance of the Dolphins. With so little talent available, he's valuable signing for Bennett and somebody he knows who gets the program and will do his best. At that point the writing was on the wall and despite putting in another solid effort during the trials and the season opener Isaako was free to leave. I thought he'd end up at the Eels who have a tendency to get the best out of struggling players but he's opted for the Titans. I genuinely wish him well tonight, I think he's a Holbrook type of signing like an Esan Marsters, Paul Turner, Will Smith, Corey Thompson type who have some impressive skills but don't seem to have any real ego. Low maintenance players who just want to give their best.

I always applied my logic that if you only break tackles in ISC and do nothing else you will struggle in NRL.

10 tackle breaks in ISC and no other skills displayed say to me you need lots of work because that 10 will become 1 tackle break in the NRL.

You're right. I look forward to Huge's apology for baiting. Insults too.
Baiting is not cool by anyone, Huge included. Re insults he cops his fair share on here.

Baiting is not cool by anyone, Huge included. Re insults he cops his fair share on here.
Can't claim baiting when everything he's copped so far was in response to his literal bait post. I just asked him to respond to every post, including those that make his posts look illogical.

Can't claim baiting when everything he's copped so far was in response to his literal bait post. I just asked him to respond to every post, including those that make his posts look illogical.
Mate if he rustles your jimmies that much just put on ignore like the 20 or 30 other people have. It is really not worth getting so frustrated about, life is far too short.

Mate if he rustles your jimmies that much just put on ignore like the 20 or 30 other people have. It is really not worth getting so frustrated about, life is far too short.
It doesn't though. I find his hypocrisy and ridiculous takes hilarious. Responding to someone on the internet doesn't mean they "rustle your jimmies".

It doesn't though. I find his hypocrisy and ridiculous takes hilarious. Responding to someone on the internet doesn't mean they "rustle your jimmies".
Okay.

Your opening paragraph in which you state that one of the key reasons why people and the club were 'off' Isaako were due to him exploring opportunities doesn't ring true to me. I think it's more a convenient excuse to stick the boot in. I mean, will those same people now be 'off Haas' now that he's taking meetings and exploring options?

Your opening paragraph in which you state that one of the key reasons why people and the club were 'off' Isaako were due to him exploring opportunities doesn't ring true to me. I think it's more a convenient excuse to stick the boot in. I mean, will those same people now be 'off Haas' now that he's taking meetings and exploring options?
I’ve been off Haas since the police incident to be honest. I’ve seen numerous people say they are off Haas due to his current situation already. Personally, I was off Isaako due to his stupid mistakes on the field, exploring other options was the cherry on top. So when Haas starts not performing on the field, I’ll be completely off him.

Have you read the Haas thread? Many people are off him because of these shenanigans

I'll support him while he's wearing a Broncos' jersey but he is certainly being exposed in the media and such with different journalists saying he's not worth 1 mill and I think Gus said it, I think the Dogs said it as well. They weren't specifically taking aim at Haas but rather the position he plays isn't a million dollar a year position.

The fact it's even making headlines when he's still got another few years left on his existing contract leaves a bad taste in my mouth and as much I think they are full of shit, it's been going on for a while and Haas hasn't exactly put an end to it with a definitive statement.

Have you read the Haas thread? Many people are off him because of these shenanigans
Not sure what the beliefs of others has to do with my question to BP. I'm aware people will have different reasons for liking/disliking other players! I'm simply disputing the claim that it, exploring options is a 'key' reason. In my mind it is simply another reason to justify a dislike and certainly isn't a key reason.

I do believe others and probably most in fact already had decided and were simply piling on. If it was important as BP claims Haas's recent activities would attract similar condemnation. Anyway, just my opinion and the rest of BP's post was good reading.

I mean, will those same people now be 'off Haas' now that he's taking meetings and exploring options?

Not sure what the beliefs of others has to do with my question to BP.

This fucker is cooked. I can't wait for Huge to come on here bragging after Isaako looks marginally first-grade against the disastrous Tigers.

Great post @
Big Pete
Big Pete and I agree with everything right up until the very last bit about him not having an ego.

Although he hasn’t really displayed it publicly via the media or any specific incident (the Tigers meeting could be one perhaps), I do think Jamayne has a massive ego and thinks he’s hot shit, at least on the field.

It’s an ego built on delusions of how good he actually is as a player, not just his specific skills. He’s a guy that doesn’t seem to own up to his errors, and never learns from them, because he keeps making them and acts surprised or confused when he does.
My take is that it goes back to what I said about him not being a natural Rugby League player. His default instinct lies in Rugby, so when he had his brain fade against the Dragons, I think his instinct was that if he forced the ball dead it's a penalty try.

What I mean about not having an ego is that he doesn't carry on like Latrell nor is a handful off the field. In fact he was nominated for the Ken Stephen medal last year. He's a versatile player that Holbrook can trust to come in and do a job.

It became the tipping point after a difficult three years for Jamayne. All it took was that shocker against the Dragons for the Broncos to begin looking in a different direction and start giving his opportunities to Tesi and Selwyn respectively.

Maybe it is hypocritical in regards to Haas but as far as we know there hasn't been a meeting between Payne and other club's management like there was with Isaako. All we know is that his management has floated a million dollar price tag and Phil Gould commented on a Channel 9 show. Kent took that a step further and suggested they met but that hasn't been confirmed or denied.

My take is that it goes back to what I said about him not being a natural Rugby League player. His default instinct lies in Rugby, so when he had his brain fade against the Dragons, I think his instinct was that if he forced the ball dead it's a penalty try.

What I mean about not having an ego is that he doesn't carry on like Latrell nor is a handful off the field. In fact he was nominated for the Ken Stephen medal last year. He's a versatile player that Holbrook can trust to come in and do a job.

It became the tipping point after a difficult three years for Jamayne. All it took was that shocker against the Dragons for the Broncos to begin looking in a different direction and start giving his opportunities to Tesi and Selwyn respectively.

Maybe it is hypocritical in regards to Haas but as far as we know there hasn't been a meeting between Payne and other club's management like there was with Isaako. All we know is that his management has floated a million dollar price tag and Phil Gould commented on a Channel 9 show. Kent took that a step further and suggested they met but that hasn't been confirmed or denied.
Kent regularly places his interpretation on events and that interpretation is later established to be incorrect. It may well be the case here.

True, we don't know with absolute certainty that Haas has had meetings with potential future employers. I'd say he's almost certainly been approached though. My point wasn't about hypocrisy or the right to sound out one's future but simply your claim it was a key moment in the Isaako saga. I do think it was important to a few but overall it was, in my opinion just a convenience for those that were already decided. Either way, it's not important(that I disagree!)and it was just your opinion to which you're 100% entitled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • UP DA BRIZZY BRONX
  • ivanhungryjak
  • bert_lifts
  • The Boss
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.