Who should be the broncos coach?

Who should the broncos sign as head coach?

• Kev Walters

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Michael McGuire

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Shaun Wane

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Brad Thorn

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • JD

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Brad Arthur

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Adrian Lam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sam Burgess

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Peter Wallace

• Andrew Webster

• Trent Barrett

• Justin Holbrook

• Billy Slater

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Ben Hornby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (name in comments)

• Adam Reynolds

• Total voters
Honestly I'm not too sure but I think most times you sack a coach it's not because there's a better option waiting for you, it's more just you can no longer continue in your current state. I think we've reached this point so it's time to give someone else a go.

For me, it would be someone that wasn't connected to the club in any playing capacity. We've tried inhouse, it hasn't worked and it's just gotten us more entangled with the old boys and living in the past. Not saying go full Seibold but we do need a fresh set of eyes from the outside and we need to tell the old boys to fit in or **** off.

the exorcist horror GIF by absurdnoise

If he is actually interested in the role, Brad thorn would be an excellent coach imo, but I want to atleast see next year with Kevvie first before making my judgement.

I'd love to know where people got this idea that Thorn would make a great coach

His record with the Reds wasn't good. he finished with a 45% win record, which was undoubtedly inflated when the Super Rugby broke up because of the covid pandemic and he only had to face Aussie teams in 2020 and 2021

Honestly I'm not too sure but I think most times you sack a coach it's not because there's a better option waiting for you, it's more just you can no longer continue in your current state. I think we've reached this point so it's time to give someone else a go.

For me, it would be someone that wasn't connected to the club in any playing capacity. We've tried inhouse, it hasn't worked and it's just gotten us more entangled with the old boys and living in the past. Not saying go full Seibold but we do need a fresh set of eyes from the outside and we need to tell the old boys to fit in or **** off.

I assume by current state you mean improving each season under Kevvie until we reached a GF, only to have a setback during this season that was punctuated by injuries.

there wouldn't be a club in the game that would consider sacking their coach under the exact same circumstances.

I assume by current state you mean improving each season under Kevvie until we reached a GF, only to have a setback during this season that was punctuated by injuries.

there wouldn't be a club in the game that would consider sacking their coach under the exact same circumstances.
I look at it differently, I take the outlier out of the equation and look at a 25% finals rate. I look at the players who've gone backwards under his watch this year.

The difference between you and I is that you think the planets will align again. More than just having injuries this year, the way we have played as a squad across all facets has not indicated to me that this was just a blip and we were unlucky. We were dogshit most of the year.

I think waiting half a season next year just prolongs the misery.

JD has done the work. I wonder what he has taken away from his failings at the Bunnies.?

From a total vibes perspective, I’m curious about Peter Wallace. He comes across as an intelligent and grounded guy, who built a career on working hard to overcome a lack of natural elite talent. That type that would know how to communicate skills effectively because he’s processed it himself. Has been on staff in winning systems. And just seems the right mix of emotional composure, work ethic and intelligence. Worth keeping an eye on.

The insights Mansour let on re JD explain why he has thrived as Uncle Wayne`s right hand man .
JD is a pretty ordinary communicator . And his man management / personal relations with players is sure to piss people off .
That was Wayne`s job . JD may be able to get better , but it`s not his strong suit .

It`s their psychology . Are they scared to get back to that scary place where you think you are the champ then get it wrenched away from you ?

Has the fall from such heights has caused them to not want to do that again ?

No-one on that list has proven themselves to be a consistently good nrl coach.

Here's a bit of a wild choice.

Brian Smith.

He apparently put himself in the running for the Eels job. He's good at making GF's, not very good at winning them, though.

Here's a bit of a wild choice.

Brian Smith.

He apparently put himself in the running for the Eels job. He's good at making GF's, not very good at winning them, though.

Would probably have the same problem as Sheens. Current league is a shambles and the things that worked in Smith’s day have all changed. He’s been out of the game too long.

....I'm still thinking if you cant get a top 3 coach to come here, then you have to invest in one of the guys who project to be the next future top 3 coaches.

It can be done, look at Ciraldo.

I'm not for one instance comparing the Dogs to us though, thats unfair on both clubs.

Identify the top 3-5 assistants in the game and interview them.

You "dont" even need to hire them straight up, just make them aware you are closely following their careers and, should the opportunity present, they would be one of a handful the club approaches for the job.

I mean, doesnt that type of succession planning "make" sense for a supposed super club?

....I'm still thinking if you cant get a top 3 coach to come here, then you have to invest in one of the guys who project to be the next future top 3 coaches.

It can be done, look at Ciraldo.

I'm not for one instance comparing the Dogs to us though, thats unfair on both clubs.

Identify the top 3-5 assistants in the game and interview them.

You "dont" even need to hire them straight up, just make them aware you are closely following their careers and, should the opportunity present, they would be one of a handful the club approaches for the job.

I mean, doesnt that type of succession planning "make" sense for a supposed super club?

As unlikely as it is, who is to say we haven't?

Even with Ciraldo, I'll say it again, he is last year's Kevvie. Will he end up a great coach? Possibly but at this point who knows.

Remember last year when we had Herbie and Kotoni swapping sides and were running all sorts of structured plays at opposition in addition to our ad lib stuff? We also had one of the very best defenses in the league too.

And let's not forget last year's Dally M Coach of The Year who was the next big thing until this year when his side finished below us.

Even some of the very best coaches have looked like heading for the exit door before coming good.

In the AFL alone, there is three-time premiership coach Damian Hardwick, the current second place team coach Ken Hinkley who is always one loss away from having his head cut off again, Sam Mitchell currently coaching the team to beat in Hawthorn and premiership winning coach - Luke Beveridge.

I'm still backing Kevvie to have the team firing next year if we can get two or three signing decisions right, have a fitness first focused preseason and have a bit more luck with injuries. I reckon 2025 will be a good year.

Unread

Active Now

• scobie
  • Morkel
  • Lurker
  • Jedhead
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Old Mate
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.