Who would come to play for us?

Heard Carney has re-signed with sharks for approx 650k a year. Can now cross him off the list.

Two people left that i would sign. Either Tomkins or Folau.

Well Tomkins isn't really "left" so to speak, he's under contract like every other good player but the exception here is that ESL clubs are usually open to releasing contracts for transfer fees.

Now obviously they may not even be willing to release him at any price (although I believe they would for a decent amount of money) and Tomkins himself may not want to come to Australia anyway, he might be completely happy to stay in England.

That being said, I hope we can somehow, someway get Tomkins AND Johnson for next year, yes I'm dreaming but wow that would be truly awesome.

According to this he wants to come to Australia and play in the NRL in 2014

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...yes-nrl-contract/story-fnca0von-1226570334432

"The Australian understands representatives acting for Tomkins - Super League's reigning Man of Steel - have begun sounding out clubs with a view to joining the NRL's English contingent in 2014.Tomkins, who has been compared to Melbourne and Queensland custodian Billy Slater, is also in high demand from English rugby union, but it is understood his preference is to join fellow Brits James Graham, Gareth Widdop and Sam Burgess in Australia".

Last edited:
That does sound promising. It's fucking criminal if we let some other club sign him. Tomkins would just be a perfect fit for the Broncos. I totally agree with O'Sullivan that he would be elite here. Give him an off season to get used to the NRL (as long as Griffin doesn't make him bulk, lol) and he will be as good as any fullback in the game.

You only have to look at that video and it makes you extremely excited. A younger Slater. Plus he wont be missing coming Origin time.

Its what we are missing at the moment. Somebody who can just blow the game apart with speed and footwork. The closet thing we have to that is Yow Yeh and who knows when he is coming back.

Speed + footwork = tries

Yes please. I would be so over the moon happy to sign Tomkins, I've actually wanted him to come for a while but I didn't think it was even a possibility so I didn't bother to bring it up.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/20/sam-t...n-trounce-leigh-in-the-challenge-cup-3659739/
That's today! He scores four tries.
He has almost a try a game, 137 games for 128 tries, I think with todays game that jumps to 138 games for 132 tries, truly an incredible record.
For reference, Slater has 144 tries from 228 games.

FWIW he's been basically injury free during his career so far too, hasn't missed any more than a few games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rka_ULVj4GU
Seems like a cool guy too.

Don't get your hopes up, Gee's "stop linking us to every player, we're happy with what we've got" article is just around the corner... again..

Don't get your hopes up, Gee's "stop linking us to every player, we're happy with what we've got" article is just around the corner... again..
Your posts are never complete without a picture.

Seriously I would ****ing love to sign Tomkins, more than Barba, more than Dugan, more than anyone really. The guys a superstar and I have no doubt he'd kill it here at fullback, no doubt at all.

If they want 1 million to be willing to release him so we can sign him then we sure as hell should.

LOL, thank Christ u r not running the show at the Broncos, they would go broke quicker than the Titans. This is not Monopoly money u r playing with here. The Broncos will be just fine with what they have, their youngsters will improve with experience and their vets will continue to do the job. Better times r right around the corner. I trust u don't have anything to do with the finances at your workplace.

That does sound promising. It's ****ing criminal if we let some other club sign him. Tomkins would just be a perfect fit for the Broncos. I totally agree with O'Sullivan that he would be elite here. Give him an off season to get used to the NRL (as long as Griffin doesn't make him bulk, lol) and he will be as good as any fullback in the game.

All things being equal, a season out here at NRL level and he'll better than that

LOL, thank Christ u r not running the show at the Broncos, they would go broke quicker than the Titans. This is not Monopoly money u r playing with here. The Broncos will be just fine with what they have, their youngsters will improve with experience and their vets will continue to do the job. Better times r right around the corner. I trust u don't have anything to do with the finances at your workplace.

He was suggesting one player. Doubt we'd go broke just from that. Bulldogs sign about 4 a week.

Judging by your written English, I trust you work in public relations?

Really though, there's no need to be an asshole. If you disagree with what I'm saying argue the point at hand, don't make this a personal discussion about what I do for a job.

If the Broncos would go broke from signing Tomkins, they probably aren't very well run to begin with. Seeing as we're consistently rated as the most well known sporting brand in Australia and are without doubt the richest NRL club we can easily afford someone like Tomkins who in ticket and merchandise sales alone would recoup the transfer fees.

Last edited:

Firstly, ease up. Other people are allowed to have opinions too.

Secondly it's not like he was suggesting throw transfer fees around at every player, and seriously if the broncos can't afford 1 million for a transfer fee with all their corporate backers etc then they are a bloody joke

I just did a quick google search on Mr Tomkins (as I'm sure others have also) and the last things I found dated over the last 4 weeks is that it will cost whoever at least GBP2M = $3M oz and, pretty much every NRL club with that amount of cash is interested. Warriors and Sharks were mentioned.

(Sorry if this info has already been posted)

Doesn't bother me actually. We did sign Capewell

Last edited:
I thought it was stipulated in this contract that he couldn't negotiate with any other code until the end of 2014, it would be a 2015 signing for any club that wants him.

I thought it was stipulated in this contract that he couldn't negotiate with any other code until the end of 2014, it would be a 2015 signing for any club that wants him.

It's end of 2015 I think and that's what the transfer fee would be for - letting him go early

Found it

The new deal will cover Seasons 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 and includes an assurance that the player will not speak to either Rugby Union nor the NRL during a defined period of the term (Three Years).

The interested clubs most likely spoke to his current club (Wigan?) and got permission to speak to him, where they would have been told the transfer fee would be $x if you want him.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Redux
  • Strop
  • ChewThePhatt
  • johnyE
  • Financeguy
  • Thelmus
  • Justwin
  • Ondi
  • johnny plath
  • theshed
  • kman
  • Johnny92
  • broncsgoat
  • Mr Fourex
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Big Del
  • Jedhead
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.