Who would come to play for us?

its not like guys that light are capable of playing NRL, I mean Matty Bowen (85kg) has been a terrible NRL player :001_rolleyes:

Ah, the bodybuilder thinks that anyone who doesn't have massive bulk can't play NRL. What a surprise.

yep, that would explain why I've harped on this site about how great a player Cooper Cronk is on numerous occasions ..

But if we want to make it personal I'm actually the 80-odd kg average joe who works in media & PR, went in one (1) bb'ing competition about six months ago and among many other things enjoys jumping on broncoshq.com to discuss brisbane broncos / league and other topics now and then ..

go ahead and 'play the man, not the issue' though mate, it just shows you've got nothing ...

Last edited:
Why the hell would we sign this Brit? He's frigging ugly, too ugly to play for us. We need some sexy players damn it. What about Channing Tatum? He's good looking!

A "superstar"?? How? Think you've been watching too many of those 'so you think you can sing' shows..
I think you're the one watching those shows.

Which ESL player who has come to the NRL in the last 5 years has been a failure? Can you name one?
Gareth Ellis, Burgess boys, James Graham, etc.

Tomkins is a superstar. Yes, a superstar. Players like him are rare natural talents that would be stars in any team or competition they play in. If you can't see that and the ONLY thing you have against him is his weight then your argument is very weak.

I think you're the one watching those shows.

Which ESL player who has come to the NRL in the last 5 years has been a failure? Can you name one?
Gareth Ellis, Burgess boys, James Graham, etc.

Tomkins is a superstar. Yes, a superstar. Players like him are rare natural talents that would be stars in any team or competition they play in. If you can't see that and the ONLY thing you have against him is his weight then your argument is very weak.

you can tell me he's a superstar til you're blue in the face ... until he does what the NRL superstars do in the NRL on a regular basis over the long term, he's just a talented English Super League player ..

you can tell me he's a superstar til you're blue in the face ... until he does what the NRL superstars do in the NRL on a regular basis over the long term, he's just a talented English Super League player ..

Cool, I'm all for any sort of talented players at the broncos, let alone one of the most consistently talented players the super league has ever had, who plays in the one position we have no talent in (after Norman leaves) Yep Bull Shark you've convinced me that Tomkins English super league talent is exactly what we need. :0)

Other than the occasional dud like Mark Flanagan or something, the Englishmen who came over have all served the Queen pretty damn well. Ellis, Graham, Morley, the Super Burgess Bros. Tomkins would surely be a success here too.

Broncos turned down Ben Barba and Billy Slater because they were too small.
They're 90kg and 5 foot 8.

Sam Tomkins is 5 foot 9 and 80kg. Fair bit lighter, pound for pound, but no reason to think he can't add 5kg onto that frame and be successful. Slater and Barba were lighter when they made their debuts, that's for sure.

Darren Lockyer weighed in around 80kg until 2003. He bulked up when moving to the front line to play 5/8.

I don't think his size should be a consideration on whether to sign him or not. However, the point about a sizeable transfer fee and salary for a player who's untested against good defence week in week out is a valid question which would need to be asked.

Is his recruitment a laughable suggestion as Bull Shark seems to imply? No.
Is his recruitment the single most important thing to happen in the history of mankind as broncospwn seems to imply? No.

From what I've seen of him, weighing up the pros and cons, signing him would be worthwhile if the price was right, and that'd probably mean a back ended deal based on performance in the NRL, and get out clauses at year 2 to return to the ESL if he's just not cutting it.

Broncos turned down Ben Barba and Billy Slater because they were too small.
They're 90kg and 5 foot 8.

Sam Tomkins is 5 foot 9 and 80kg. Fair bit lighter, pound for pound, but no reason to think he can't add 5kg onto that frame and be successful. Slater and Barba were lighter when they made their debuts, that's for sure.

Darren Lockyer weighed in around 80kg until 2003. He bulked up when moving to the front line to play 5/8.

I don't think his size should be a consideration on whether to sign him or not. However, the point about a sizeable transfer fee and salary for a player who's untested against good defence week in week out is a valid question which would need to be asked.

Is his recruitment the single most important thing to happen in the history of mankind as broncospwn seems to imply? No.

From what I've seen of him, weighing up the pros and cons, signing him would be worthwhile if the price was right, and that'd probably mean a back ended deal based on performance in the NRL, and get out clauses at year 2 to return to the ESL if he's just not cutting it.

I agree with the voice of moderation above. Plus, only if there was some reduction in the alleged/proposed ginormous transfer fee, for example, on the basis that there is a clause in the release that if he returns to the ESL it is only to Wigan.

Uh... He's basically the Billy Slater of ESL, he's far and away the best player they have and has been for 2-3 years in a row.
Every player that has come across has been great here. All indications are that he'd be a huge success here yet you're implying that he'll be an average joe in the NRL. On what basis are you saying he won't be great? His weight? Really!?

So Tompkins is on a 300000GBP a year deal which is what... 450k? How much would he be willing to accept considering he wants to make the move and test himself here? A 4 year deal at 450k plus the 1mil transfer fee makes him 700k player. And yes I know that's not all included in the cap but its what would be paid. And if it enters a bidding war and someone thinks he's worth 650k (Norman on 400k+?) then he's a million dollar player..almost.

Hmmm I've heard this argument before, size doesn't matter, I guess all he can do is get in their and keep hammering away and see how he goes.

yeah and that's the only reason I weighed in on this (pardon the pun) - because the dollar figures being spoken about by some folks to get this guy were ridiculous imo for a lightweight fullback who hasn't played one minute of NRL ... I have no problem if the broncos want to sign Sam Tomkins, but not if they have to 'sell the farm' in order to do so

We should just wait till the end of 2014. There's a player that we let go off that comes off contract.. I heard he goes okay at fullback

We should just wait till the end of 2014. There's a player that we let go off that comes off contract.. I heard he goes okay at fullback
Would he be willing to come back under Griffin?

Buying back the kid you sacked, it will never happen.

By then he'll probably be in the frame for Origin and out of our cheesburger offering range.

Last edited:

Active Now

• azza.79
  • NSW stables
  • lynx000
  • broncoscope
  • Horseheadsup
  • Galah
  • Allo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Johnny92
  • Locky24
  • Big Del
  • broncs30
  • Santa
  • Lurker
  • Strop
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Xzei
  • Broncorob
  • Manofoneway
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.