OPINION who would you pick as the next Broncos number 7?

Who do you think will be Reynolds replacement as our next Halfback?

• Sam Walker

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Lachlan Lam

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Other

Votes: 28 70.0%

• Total voters
Emanon

Emanon

QCup Player
Apr 26, 2021
I think Madden will come good in time with more match experience. I think a similar historical situation to how it could work may be the 2010 Dragons with Darius Boyd, Jamie Soward, Ben Hornby and Dean Young in the spine. However, that team only won the one Premiership in that time.

This isn't the place for it, but it does make me wonder if the NRL needs to look at a higher quality/level second division before expansion beyond 18 teams.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
It goes both ways, the forwards can't get involved if you're putting in weak kicks. Even when Madden was in attacking range, you can't say his kicks were that impressive.

Didn't Smoothy score off a Madden attacking kick.......?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Nbc Lean In GIF by SVU

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Didn't Smoothy score off a Madden attacking kick.......?
You mean the ricochet where he grubbered it into Trindall but Brayden fumbled it? Are we really comparing those to the bombs that allowed the Sharks to peg the Broncos into a corner?

It wouldn't make too many highlight reels.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Well it made last weekend's NRL highlight reel....... 😉

You started off saying his kicking all game was shit.........then it turns out it was just 1 or 2 kicks that were....and you freely admitted then that he hit a few sweetly.

You then say his attacking kicks were also shit.....yet Smoothey scored from one of them.

You can see the conundrum I'm wrestling with here Peter......

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Well it made last weekend's NRL highlight reel....... 😉

You started off saying his kicking all game was shit.........then it turns out it was just 1 or 2 kicks that were....and you freely admitted then that he hit a few sweetly.

You then say his attacking kicks were also shit.....yet Smoothey scored from one of them.

You can see the conundrum I'm wrestling with here Peter......
Incorrect, I said his kicking game wasn't NRL standard and that in general he was poor. I highlighted one that set the tone in the second half but in general it left a lot to be desired and he was outplayed. Fans have weighed in and made excuses for him, that's fine, but I expect more of Reynolds' successor.

You quoted my post, it's pretty evident what I actually wrote. A fluke try that should have been picked off doesn't exactly scream future premiership winning halfback.

Let me be clear, I'm not saying drop Madden. I'm just saying we should expect better from him. If you view him as a back-up half then no worries he was 'fine'. The future halfback of the club? He's got to be better than that if the Broncos are going to be competing for premierships.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Its not that old......I said it last page. 😉

I reckon I said it the page before that as well .
I just wanted to repeat it for good measure .

Here`s my counter to the #7 should be able to kick his team out of trouble .
Mitchell Moses has the biggest boot of the #7s how were Parra going when their forwards were being dominated and the back 5 couldn`t make metres or hold the ball ??????

Coach got sacked even though his half can kick 60 metres .
I rest my case .

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
You mean the ricochet where he grubbered it into Trindall but Brayden fumbled it? Are we really comparing those to the bombs that allowed the Sharks to peg the Broncos into a corner?

He wasn`t kicking those bombs from his own half though ....

But, WTF was that effort from the kick off to start the 2nd half ? Almost got pinned in goal . There was the measure of the attitude of the Broncos for all to see .

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
He wasn`t kicking those bombs from his own half though ....

But, WTF was that effort from the kick off to start the 2nd half ? Almost got pinned in goal . There was the measure of the attitude of the Broncos for all to see .
This is the critical part of this argument. Our forward were pumped in the second half. We barely had a play the ball in our own half.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I reckon I said it the page before that as well .
I just wanted to repeat it for good measure .

Here`s my counter to the #7 should be able to kick his team out of trouble .
Mitchell Moses has the biggest boot of the #7s how were Parra going when their forwards were being dominated and the back 5 couldn`t make metres or hold the ball ??????

Coach got sacked even though his half can kick 60 metres .
I rest my case .

You mean Brad Arthur? He got sacked while his 60m kicking halfback was at the back end of three months out. Strange argument.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
You mean Brad Arthur? He got sacked while his 60m kicking halfback was at the back end of three months out. Strange argument.

He was already headed for the sack bro ...
Long before his half got injured . Missing the finals with his 60m #7 was the start . Then this season before the 60m #7 got hurt they still couldn`t win consistently .
Negotiations with wayne Bennet were going on remember ?
Not that hard to comprehend surely ?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
He was already headed for the sack bro ...
Long before his half got injured . Missing the finals with his 60m #7 was the start . Then this season before the 60m #7 got hurt they still couldn`t win consistently .
Negotiations with wayne Bennet were going on remember ?
Not that hard to comprehend surely ?

If you watched the way the club heads handled the sacking announcement, I think you'll find those two blokes might be the ones needing to be sacked.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Let me be clear, I'm not saying drop Madden. I'm just saying we should expect better from him. If you view him as a back-up half then no worries he was 'fine'. The future halfback of the club? He's got to be better than that if the Broncos are going to be competing for premierships.

I kinda lost sight of the thread title........ ie who will replace Arey.
and was more taken aback by what I considered as a rather savage and tbh, unwarranted critic of Madden's game against the Sharks.

Truth be told....as a back up, I've been pleasantly surprised by Jock's game. I think from his beginning to now, there's been substantial improvement. Will he continue to improve.....only time will tell. How much will he improve?.....I do think he has a limited ceiling.

Is he the future halfback of the club....I don't think so, although that said.......with the likes of Walsh and Mam being the creative strike weapons.....
what do we need from Jock/future half? Someone to steer us around.......get us good field position and defend well in his own right?

Maybe I'm alone in thinking most of ARey's onfield performances have been.........mehh
or maybe he's just been injured and off the field so much, that I just can't remember? I'm sure he's doing more for us off the field than on it.

Dunno......can't help the feeling that if we were full strength minus Arey........we still have the strength to win a premiership with Madden. I don't believe he is the reason we aren't winning games.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Swordfish
  • KickHaas
  • Totally Unr3al
  • lynx000
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Shane Tronc
  • Sproj
  • Fatboy
  • winslow_wong
  • Midean
  • broncs30
  • Justwin
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • Lostboy
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncos4life
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.