OPINION who would you pick as the next Broncos number 7?

Who do you think will be Reynolds replacement as our next Halfback?

• Sam Walker

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Lachlan Lam

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Other

Votes: 28 70.0%

• Total voters
Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Not just on madden to be kicking mam needs to step up aswell if madden is under the pump

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Really, we are hopefully looking at a stop gap until Black is ready. Is Madden good enough to have a shot as prime 7 for a year or two? I think so.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Maybe some exaggeration going on there ?. Possibly one time that you are focussed on . It wasn't happening all night . He hit a cpl of kicks very sweetly .
He did have a couple of decent kicks towards the end of the game, but it was too little too late. In general he was out-kicked by his opposite and he doesn't seem capable of saving sets with his kicking game - which you want from your halfback. That was the point I was making with the opening set and his dolly kick to gift Cronulla momentum.

He's not alone either and Ezra is doing nothing to suggest he's Reynolds' heir either.

To be clear, I'm not saying he deserves to be dropped. However I can't say he did a good job either and he's going to have to improve and take more ownership of the team.
Really, we are hopefully looking at a stop gap until Black is ready. Is Madden good enough to have a shot as prime 7 for a year or two? I think so.
I don't see the value in this. It's not like Black is some prodigy, he's just a solid junior football player. You could waste an entire season and say it's all good we have Black only to find out his ceiling isn't enough to make you a contender.

The Broncos have to treat this period as a blessing. Now they can see how they perform with Madden at 7 and see whether he can step up. They're 1-2 so far, still plenty of games ahead but if they continue to trend down the ladder it won't do his future any good.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
He did have a couple of decent kicks towards the end of the game, but it was too little too late. In general he was out-kicked by his opposite and he doesn't seem capable of saving sets with his kicking game - which you want from your halfback. That was the point I was making with the opening set and his dolly kick to gift Cronulla momentum.

He's not alone either and Ezra is doing nothing to suggest he's Reynolds' heir either.

To be clear, I'm not saying he deserves to be dropped. However I can't say he did a good job either and he's going to have to improve and take more ownership of the team.

I don't see the value in this. It's not like Black is some prodigy, he's just a solid junior football player. You could waste an entire season and say it's all good we have Black only to find out his ceiling isn't enough to make you a contender.

The Broncos have to treat this period as a blessing. Now they can see how they perform with Madden at 7 and see whether he can step up. They're 1-2 so far, still plenty of games ahead but if they continue to trend down the ladder it won't do his future any good.
Harsh to blame the #7 when the forwards get dominated .
And the back three can`t hold the ball or make metres .

Then he`s sposed to pull some fantastic 60 -70 metre kicks that make it rain, out his arse to turn things around ?
I doubt even the great Ricky Stuart could have saved the Broncos the other night .

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Harsh to blame the #7 when the forwards get dominated .
And the back three can`t hold the ball or make metres .

Then he`s sposed to pull some fantastic 60 -70 metre kicks that make it rain, out his arse to turn things around ?
I doubt even the great Ricky Stuart could have saved the Broncos the other night .
I'm not blaming the 7, never said anything about 60-70m, I just said his performance wasn't impressive and you're making excuses.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Who would you like us to chase? An additional consideration I suppose is do you also think Reynolds will last until the end of 2025?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I'm not blaming the 7, never said anything about 60-70m, I just said his performance wasn't impressive and you're making excuses.
.....and you're unnecessarily micro-scoping him on a couple kicks.

From his first game from a month or so ago to now.....
I've seen a fairly substantial improvement in his kicking.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Who would you like us to chase? An additional consideration I suppose is do you also think Reynolds will last until the end of 2025?
Who's off contract in 2025?

Sam Walker, Te Maire Martin, Jonah Pezet, Thomas Duffy, Lachlan Ilias...

A lot can happen between now and then, but it's certainly something we need to have a look at.

Good question, fingers crossed but don't be shocked if he breaks down. The Broncos have already committed to him so unless he pulls the pin between now and November I don't think there's much Brisbane can do.
I've seen a fairly substantial improvement in his kicking.
Yet it's still ordinary. It doesn't take micro-scoping, it was pretty evident on the night.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017

He was kicking 30 metres , not high enough and didn`t have the mojo to win the game single handedly .

Is that a better precis ? LOL .

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Yet it's still ordinary. It doesn't take micro-scoping, it was pretty evident on the night.
Of 1 or 2 kicks.......

and if your comparing them to Wally Lewis kicks.

Sure.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Of 1 or 2 kicks.......

and if your comparing them to Wally Lewis kicks.

Sure.
I'll take any NRL standard kicker, hell Braydon Trindall clearly out-kicked him the entire night and he's barely cemented his place in the competition.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
I'll take any NRL standard kicker, hell Braydon Trindall clearly out-kicked him the entire night and he's barely cemented his place in the competition.
Trindall was constantly kicking from over his 40m zone and often well into our half. Madden had to reef it from our 20m line a few times and often from with our 30 m zone off a slow play the ball. Not many halves would kick a team out of trouble doing that

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Trindall was constantly kicking from over his 40m zone and often well into our half. Madden had to reef it from our 20m line a few times and often from with our 30 m zone off a slow play the ball. Not many halves would kick a team out of trouble doing that
It goes both ways, the forwards can't get involved if you're putting in weak kicks. Even when Madden was in attacking range, you can't say his kicks were that impressive. Fine for a back-up half like I said, but impressive?

Let's revisit this in Round 22 when Reynolds is due back.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
It goes both ways, the forwards can't get involved if you're putting in weak kicks. Even when Madden was in attacking range, you can't say his kicks were that impressive. Fine for a back-up half like I said, but impressive?

Let's revisit this in Round 22 when Reynolds is due back.

Old saying ; A kick is only as good as the chase .

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Madden's kicking game got sloppy later in the game, at the start he was doing the huge high bombs with some swirl, then basically after he got that unlucky bounce to go past the sharks try line he went into his shell and didn't pressure Cronulla's backs after that.

I think Madden is good enough if he keeps improving to be our 7 after Reyno but I think it will be quite a downgrade, I have big concerns on his ability to steer the team rather than share with Mam, we would would best with someone who will take control at 7 and let Mam use his running game and edge plays with Walsh.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I do not want to see the Madden, Mam, Sailor, Walters combo again.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Lostboy
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fozz
  • Rambstien
  • Robboi_321
  • Dash
  • Cavalo
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Old Mate
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.