OPINION who would you pick as the next Broncos number 7?

Who do you think will be Reynolds replacement as our next Halfback?

• Sam Walker

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Lachlan Lam

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 33 66.0%

• Total voters
Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
To be fair I really haven’t seen much of Lam since he was at the roosters years ago.

But I was under the impression that as you said he is mainly a running half and I think that wouldn’t bode well with Mam. The experiment of Nikorima and Milford personally taught me that it is important to have halves that balance each other out, and a good kicking game/“game manager” is the number one attribute I would be looking at for someone to partner up with Ezra.

While I don’t see Jock as the long term solution, I think he would “know his place” and or know what role he would have to provide for the team. Not try and be the flashy one, just get the team around the park and leave that shit up to Mam, Walsh etc in the team. I’d have doubts that Lam could play that role but yes I literally haven’t seen him play since 2021 aha.
A good indication of what he has been doing in England, lots of long ball passing, but very good at attracting defenders before he gets the ball out, short or long.

The thing that is key which can easily be overlooked is he is a Qlder, and all Qlders would kill to have the broncs jersey.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I think Lam was just unfortunate with his injury at the time which allowed Walker to come in, he was a more complete player at the time but Walker didn't do anything wrong and cemented his position.

Most halves at this age in the game right now don't have a kicking game so I'm looking at what else they have and that is where Lam is ahead of the others that I see, he has a more heads up game style then the likes of Madden and Walker from what I have seen, and in the big games he has had in the Super League he has gone another level which is a good sign in a player.

Sure the quality is lower over there but he has shown plenty in the internationals for PNG as well, he just looks like a player crying for a chance in first grade to show what he can do.

Out of all players in the game I've seen Lam is a very similar player to Nicho Hynes, they both lack an elite kicking game but are very aware of their surroundings and looking for holes.

We could manage this if we give a little more responsibility to Walsh on kicks without taking too much on his runs I think, Walsh is a stupidly gifted player that is probably the best kicker in the game younger than Cleary at the moment combined with his ability in support and running.

at current there isn't many halfbacks coming through and honestly younger than Cleary I think Walsh would be the best 7 if you put him there but he is a fullback, it will be a problem in a few years for the game as a whole imo.

The best kicker ?
Long kicker yes . Best kicker no .

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
Whoever it ends up being, hopefully Reynolds teaches them some of these plays. Can't beleive they didn't show any of his flat 40/20 kicks.

P

phoenix

May 23, 2019
Knights have Cogger going there next year, I think if we really wanted to, we could get Tyson back.
No we got a young Panthers half in Kurt Falls who could possibly earn that number 7 jumper after renyo retires

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
No we got a young Panthers half in Kurt Falls who could possibly earn that number 7 jumper after renyo retires

27 is young? And you are backing a guy who will be basically 30 by the time Reynolds is done and hasn't really cracked first grade?

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I don't know who our halfback will be but the way Kevvie is building the side, he won't need to be a superstar player. Let's not forget if we want to go out and splurge on the next boom halfback coming through the ranks, it's going to mean we will inevitably lose someone who we probably need to keep.

Madden doesn't really have many highlight reel plays but from what I have seen, he does have a decent kicking game. He's not really that bad of an option.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
No . That is incorrect .
based on?

Most of Maddens game time was in Qcup a comp that Gamble looked better in as well for the same team as well(Norths)Which he was a key player that won them the comp.

and he was a key player in knights resurgent form last year getting good ball to the outside backs and had a good partnership with Ponga, a player not that much different to Walsh in playstyle.

As said before Gamble is clearly better than Madden, he is a good partnership player and maximises his ability even if it isn't much because his mentality is elite.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
The best kicker ?
Long kicker yes . Best kicker no .
Who is better?

all the good kicking halves in the game are far older than Cleary and younger your looking at the likes of Walker, Ilias, Burton etc none of which you can say are better because they are not, outside of Burton doing random high bombs.

not to mention Walsh has several try assists off short kicks last season, I would argue his short kicking game is more complete than the long kicking game which he does far more often.

Put Walsh as a 7 right now and he is the best halfback in the game younger than Cleary no exceptions.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
Sort of warming to the idea of Sailor possibly taking it down the track. 🤷🏿‍♂️

TimWhatley

TimWhatley

QCup Player
Dec 1, 2019
As said before Gamble is clearly better than Madden, he is a good partnership player and maximises his ability even if it isn't much because his mentality is elite.
As funny as it sounds, gamble is the first NRL halfback we've produced since Ben Hunt. Yes he has a 6 on his back but plays like a halfback.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
based on?

Most of Maddens game time was in Qcup a comp that Gamble looked better in as well for the same team as well(Norths)Which he was a key player that won them the comp.

and he was a key player in knights resurgent form last year getting good ball to the outside backs and had a good partnership with Ponga, a player not that much different to Walsh in playstyle.

Based on seeing him play .
He helped the Tigers beat the Broncos a cpl of seasons back . Then the games he played last year he improved noticeably .
Santa posted a highlights from the game vs the Cowboys . Jock was involved in three tries . One he made Dearden look like a fool by drawing him and putting Piakura through a gap .
Do you think Kev / DD / Scanlan would let Gamble go , but keep Jock if they thought Gamble was a better player ?????

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
Based on seeing him play .
He helped the Tigers beat the Broncos a cpl of seasons back . Then the games he played last year he improved noticeably .
Santa posted a highlights from the game vs the Cowboys . Jock was involved in three tries . One he made Dearden look like a fool by drawing him and putting Piakura through a gap .
Do you think Kev / DD / Scanlan would let Gamble go , but keep Jock if they thought Gamble was a better player ?????
It wasn't in the highlights, but some of our sweeping plays with him involved were crazy fast. He seems to link and gel well with the current team. He's also relatively young for a half back, I have faith he'll be great for us.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Gaz
  • Muros
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Harry Sack
  • Xzei
  • Jedhead
  • Cavalo
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Brotherdu
  • Brocko
  • jd87
  • thenry
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xarr
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • Alec
  • Foordy
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.