Who's Your Man To Watch This Season?

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Yep your right Scotty but Bennett can do no wrong so watch your tongue....

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Just as much as Bennett can do no right in the eyes of some....

That wasn't aimed at you Beads6 but it goes both ways.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Bennett did more things right than he did wrong that is for sure!!

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I have a feeling Henjak is going to be far less loyal than Bennett, and that's what we need.

None of this playing the same shitty players week in week out becuase they looked good for one round. Moon could have been huge at the Broncos, and as Scotty said, he was a very solid addition to the roster.

Taylor the same, he was just never given a chance, all because what? Bennett caught him smoking.

Bennett was, and is a brilliant coach, but he's too loyal.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Nashy said:
I have a feeling Henjak is going to be far less loyal than Bennett, and that's what we need.

None of this playing the same shitty players week in week out becuase they looked good for one round. Moon could have been huge at the Broncos, and as Scotty said, he was a very solid addition to the roster.

Taylor the same, he was just never given a chance, all because what? Bennett caught him smoking.

Bennett was, and is a brilliant coach, but he's too loyal.

And somewhat of a stubborn old git at times also. I respect the man and think he is a fantastic coach in some regards, but in others he is a bit of a moron.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Scotty said:
Jebadude said:
Pfffft at all this 'Taylor might finally get a go' crap. I'm a big Taylor fan but reality is he was given ample opportunity last season to prove himself and was a massively unfit powderpuff. I'll have him in my 17 for round 1 this year but if he shows the same form as he did in 08 then I'll be happy to see him back in Comets colours.

Are you all the same people that wanted too see Joel Moon 'given a go' last season? Probably would've won the semi against Melbourne without Moon in the side.

Utter Bullshit Jeb. Bennett did not give Taylor a decent shot at establishing himself. Playing half an hour in only a handful of games throughout the season is NOT the best way to go about getting a player into the team. And ok, Taylor wasn't performing as well as we all had hoped in the opportunities he did have, but perhaps that reflected how he was being treated at the club? I wouldn't be surprised at all.

And as for Moon, I remember you having a go at him last season too and I have no idea where all the hate came from. Moon was a solid center and played very well for us on many occasions last year. He was given a go and IMO it's a shame he left. Personally I was quite furious a few times over the season that Bennett persisted with someone as useless as Reece Robinson instead of pushing Boyd/Michaels out to the wing and having Moon partner Hodges in the centers.

No, Jeb is totally right re: Taylor last year. He had plenty of game time in 2007 and showed some real promise. He clearly had a poor attitude in the offseason because he came back well below what he was doing in 2007 in early 2008 and so Bennett didn't waste him while guys like Nick Kenny etc were playing and training out of their skins.

Taylor will have learnt from that and if so I have no problem with him being more prominent this year. But players have to earn it. Just because you're young and people say you're talented, have potential, future rep star etc doesn't mean you should get lots of first grade game time if you're not showing a positive attitude when you do get the chances.

As for Moon, another "potentially good" player. Showed in lower grades he has the skills to be a good five-eighth - but in first grade showed he was abysmal as a playmaker. And when in the centres, he was adequate at best. Defensively pretty poor and attack wise too quiet and waiting for something to happen. Glad he's gone. He'll probably do better at a new club, probably less complacent and stale after years at the Broncos going nowhere.

If he does succeed at the Warriors it doesn't mean the Broncos used him wrong. Necessarily.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
But players have to earn it. Just because you're young and people say you're talented, have potential, future rep star etc doesn't mean you should get lots of first grade game time if you're not showing a positive attitude when you do get the chances.

Exactly right Coxy, seen plenty of young players, hyped to be the next big thing bomb out in my time to know there are no certainities when it comes to league and just cause you got potential doesn't mean you shouldn't have to earn your spot, nor should it mean a spot in first grade is yours instantly.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Coxy said:
Scotty said:
Jebadude said:
Pfffft at all this 'Taylor might finally get a go' crap. I'm a big Taylor fan but reality is he was given ample opportunity last season to prove himself and was a massively unfit powderpuff. I'll have him in my 17 for round 1 this year but if he shows the same form as he did in 08 then I'll be happy to see him back in Comets colours.

Are you all the same people that wanted too see Joel Moon 'given a go' last season? Probably would've won the semi against Melbourne without Moon in the side.

Utter Bullshit Jeb. Bennett did not give Taylor a decent shot at establishing himself. Playing half an hour in only a handful of games throughout the season is NOT the best way to go about getting a player into the team. And ok, Taylor wasn't performing as well as we all had hoped in the opportunities he did have, but perhaps that reflected how he was being treated at the club? I wouldn't be surprised at all.

And as for Moon, I remember you having a go at him last season too and I have no idea where all the hate came from. Moon was a solid center and played very well for us on many occasions last year. He was given a go and IMO it's a shame he left. Personally I was quite furious a few times over the season that Bennett persisted with someone as useless as Reece Robinson instead of pushing Boyd/Michaels out to the wing and having Moon partner Hodges in the centers.

No, Jeb is totally right re: Taylor last year. He had plenty of game time in 2007 and showed some real promise. He clearly had a poor attitude in the offseason because he came back well below what he was doing in 2007 in early 2008 and so Bennett didn't waste him while guys like Nick Kenny etc were playing and training out of their skins.

Taylor will have learnt from that and if so I have no problem with him being more prominent this year. But players have to earn it. Just because you're young and people say you're talented, have potential, future rep star etc doesn't mean you should get lots of first grade game time if you're not showing a positive attitude when you do get the chances.

As for Moon, another "potentially good" player. Showed in lower grades he has the skills to be a good five-eighth - but in first grade showed he was abysmal as a playmaker. And when in the centres, he was adequate at best. Defensively pretty poor and attack wise too quiet and waiting for something to happen. Glad he's gone. He'll probably do better at a new club, probably less complacent and stale after years at the Broncos going nowhere.

If he does succeed at the Warriors it doesn't mean the Broncos used him wrong. Necessarily.

No, Taylor wasn't given enough of a shot. IMO. And Moon was above average, nothing flash, but alot better than some of the other options we had.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Whenever Taylor played first grade last year, he was terrible or absent. But then so was Ashton Sims and he kept getting picked...

Moon, well possibly by season's end when he was there we had exhausted options in the centres. But frankly, as Jeb said, he contributed greatly to the Storm beating us in that semi which for the most part the Broncos dominated.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Earlier in the season too. Reece Robinson anyone? lol

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
And in past years too. Stu Kelly anyone? lol

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Reece Robinson was a mistake, but then, he was young and Bennett gave him a shot. Kind of contradicts what others say about him not doing so doesn't it?

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Ahh, but it also contradicts the arguments put forward from you guys too.

He was given ample oppotunity, and fucked it up nearly every game. All because he had a good couple of first games. I use good loosely.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Scotty said:
Jebadude said:

1. He only played half an hour a game because that's all he could handle. He never had much fuel and had a very big tank. Half an hour of total mediocrity is not good enough for first grade. I agree he has plenty of potential, but he can't be given a starting spot just based on that. He has to show the correct attitude, which leads me to my next point.

2. It is a well known fact amongst all those who have connections to the Broncos coaching staff that he bought to training a terrible attitude and with his head totally in the wrong place. It wasn't because Wayne caught him smoking like Nashy said, had nothing to do with it. I didn't hear this from Wayne, I heard it from the other wise old fella who has been at the club nearly as long as Wayne has. Yes, Cyril. We caught up with him in the offseason, very excited about Taylor's season ahead. He basically had nothing good to say about him. Taylor treated the Broncos like crap, so was given the same treatment. And fair enough.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Well said Jeb. Taylor spent too much of 2007-08 offseason reading articles about himself describing him as the next big thing. I hope 2008 was a wake up call for him.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I'm keeping my eye firm on our prop forwards this season as I believe they have the ability and commitment to win the competition if they get their minds on the job.

Clinton was one of the premier props in the competition before he became complacent alongside the Panthers who had become stagnent in 2005. If he can re-discover some semblence of form we'll have the prop forward we're currently craving.

I also believe Kenny is a much more consistent performer then Hannant. Firstly he's a much better defender than Hannant and I also believe fitness wise Kenny has him beat easily. Will he set the world on fire? God no but he'll commit to the cause and put in as hard as he possibly can.

We then have Taylor who is potentially one of the most talented props at our disposal. He can do the job it's just up to commitment and his defensive capabilities.

Sims or Thaiday can make cameo's. We know what Thaiday is capable of but Sims is going to be the player with the biggest question mark on him. If he can find the form he brought to the Broncos earlier in the season he could be an absolute asset otherwise we have a few other players to introduce such as...

Isaak Ah Mau: Solid prop who can do all the hard yards.

Aaron Sweeney: Fiery and agro Sweeney can agg some mongrel that's been missing since Tallis has left.

Josh McGuire: Talented prop forward who has all the skills neccesary to make it in the NRL. Is a little green but could do with some experience.

Aside from them I'll be looking forward to seeing how our Under 20's side goes this year. Despite lending the likes of Ben Hunt and Andrew McCullough to the QRL our Toyota Cup team still looks strong with the likes of Kurtis Baptiste (Hooker/Halfback), Dale Copely (Centre), Lyndon Law (Centre), Joel Koina (Outside Back utility) and Kurtis Lingwoodock (Backrow).

With this in mind I believe next season will be filled with excitement for Broncos supporters as they see some future superstars take the field with the likes of Beale, Tupou and Hunt. While I'm not expecting much from the boys in their debut season I expect them to be the talk of the forum in preparation for the 2010 season.

Pigskin

Pigskin

NYC Player
Mar 5, 2008
is there any mail out there on how Dave Taylor has gone in the off-season ? weight ? committment ? anything at all

he is almost the key to our season in my mind

Oink !

G

guppy

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Saw an article on Dave Taylor the other day saying he was bigger, heavier, but fitter and quicker.

He's all ready to go, and Ivan wants him to play at least 20 minutes at a time hitting the ball up and getting involved in as many tackles as he possibly can during his spell.

Apparently he prefers this to "being all over the place" last year like running out wide.

Look. If I hear another story about him being pumped up without seeing some results, he'll just be Willie Mason Jnr in my eyes.

HTFU and DO YOUR JOB.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Jedhead
  • Jazza
  • Financeguy
  • Lurker
  • broncos4life
  • teampjta
  • mieko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.