NEWS Why Broncos coach was the real winner this week

Mate fair enough it was a good burn. I personally don’t think seibs has earned the right to cast shade like that himself. We’re teetering on the brink of missing the finals, with a 40 odd percent win rate. He really hasn’t achieved much and to sit there and be that self important is not a good look.
Against another coach for no reason? Sure, I agree. But if you're just sticking up for yourself after they have started it then go for your life. And against a bitter assistant who started it he has absolutely every right to give them both barrels.

JD does come across as a bit bitter. Kind of dont blame him in some ways. His resume below the NRL level is a lot more impressive than Seibold and probably even the likes of Green, for whatever reason he hasnt got lucky enough to get a head coach role and its clearly bugging him. I think his best option could be a stint in the Super league.

Maybe his attitude, as displayed over the past week, isn’t doing him any favours.

I'd never really heard any negatives about his attitude, and tbf, he was replying to initial comments from Seibs, but maybe he doesnt put himself across very well in interviews.

I'd never really heard any negatives about his attitude, and tbf, he was replying to initial comments from Seibs, but maybe he doesnt put himself across very well in interviews.
Comments that were reported well and truly out of context. I'm pretty sure he would have known that too.

Comments that were reported well and truly out of context. I'm pretty sure he would have known that too.

Possibly, unless he just reacted to the clickbait comment. Seems the Souths players did as well. Maybe they need to read a bit better. I think pretty much everyone came out of it looking like a whiny bitch imo. Apart from Wayne of course, he was probably looking on going

Mate I've agreed with most of your views and the way you look at things.

But, in all seriousness, are you legitimately a Broncos supporter? We've had worse coaches in our history, things aren't going the way we want them but after all the shit the Broncos cop by referees and the media and other teams supporters, the Broncos fans need to unite and back the coach and the team no matter what.
Maybe that’s why he’s not a head coach - real fucking classy. What sort of pompous asshole says that shit when his team is solely relying on freak individuals to score points.

We put on a great right hand sweeping movement on Penrtih 2 weeks ago....is it Siebs fault our players didn't look to do that again..??

They obviously practiced it, but its up to the brains trust out on the field to set it up...very little influence for a coach once the players walk over the white stripe on game day...
I believe they did put that sweep on again, most notably late in the second half inside our own 50 and it resulted in a Staggs line break.

He was eventually tackled and I can't quite remember what happened next, but could've been the set that Cook made the tackle on Oates??

But, in all seriousness, are you legitimately a Broncos supporter? We've had worse coaches in our history, things aren't going the way we want them but after all the shit the Broncos cop by referees and the media and other teams supporters, the Broncos fans need to unite and back the coach and the team no matter what.

I just think it would have spoken better about his character if he took the high road.

He is on a par with Henjak right now. In fact, Henjak actually got us to a preliminary final unbelievably in his first year. Statictically, he is our worst coach in history i think i'm correct in saying, but after just one year thats a bit harsh on him i suppose, but technically i think he is as it stands.

And yes, i'm a Broncos supporter, just one who is annoyed with our year of footy.

He is on a par with Henjak right now. In fact, Henjak actually got us to a preliminary final unbelievably in his first year. Statictically, he is our worst coach in history i think i'm correct in saying, but after just one year thats a bit harsh on him i suppose, but technically i think he is as it stands.

And yes, i'm a Broncos supporter, just one who is annoyed with our year of footy.
I think he was referring to Broncosgroat.

Look, ill recall something i remember Cooper Cronk said about Melbourne's wrestling training; do note this is form memory and im NOT condoning anything about this...

He said (paraphrasing) that when Melbourne players got involved in chicken wing or crusher tackles it was because the player applied bad technique and was tired and didn't set themselves correctly to wrestle (or something along these lines...)

Now; i don't know if this is a piss-take, if he was serious or trying to make excuses, but for mine this is my takeaway.

This type of thing is a cultural change, it would take significant time and investment to train everyone in the top team to do it properly and then do we really want the same stigma the rest of the league applies to Storm? Hard enough us being the Broncos as it is...

The other thing is the interchange; are the rules about interchange gunna change next year, like less interchanges outside injuries to open the game up? If so, then we will have "more" tired players and if Cronks takeaway is correct then we will be responsible for more injuries and more ruck infringements etc....

I think we would be wise to stay ahead of the game in terms of potential rule changes, so for mine id say no thanks to this idea...but appreciate the thought put in, good idea to consider on paper ill admit...
I am of the opinion Cooper was telling total lies in order to protect the image of Melbourne and indirectly protecting his own image

The crusher tackle was brought in not for the modern take where a player accidentally falls on the back of a tackled player's neck. The original crusher was a player basically applying prolonged pressure to the back of the player's neck whilst they're sitting on the ground... basically imagine the current crusher, but rather than letting go they continue to hold the pressure on the back of the neck whilst on the ground. It's dangerous in all forms and can't be seen as an accident when you intentionally position your head in that position, take them to the ground and then continue to maintain the same head position. It prevents the player getting up, whilst allowing the crusher tackler to get straight up into first marker.

The chicken wing is absolute lies as there is the footage of Anthony Quinn blatantly attacking the arm of a tackled player. I believe there is also footage of Cam putting a triangle type hold on a player's arm (right hand holding tackled player's wrist, left arm under the tackled player's forearm and bracing support on their own right arm). The intent is to keep the arm from getting to the ground, which prevents the player from bracing and getting to their feet. There are pressure points in the wrist though and the force they are putting on especially the Quinn one is totally unnecessary, requires intent and is not doing anything other than trying to harm the opposition.

The grapple everyone knows about and there is no way Cooper is stupid enough to believe that applying a choke hold on a player is doing anything but causing damage in order to control a player.

The whole week was just a PR spin from Foxtel trying to protect the image of Melbourne and was vomit worthy

Last edited:
So South's coaches celebrated their horrible display against the broncos, as if it were a finals Game. To me that shows they respect us or don't see themselves as grand final material as that display would not have gottenn them a win against Canberra, manly, Melbourne or Roosters. I will enjoy watching them get knocked out of the finals early. Plus if their disgusting grub right centre hadn't knocked Oates out, he would've scored over Cook and we would've won. Roberts should be spending the rest of the year on the bench and doing community service for an unprovoked act of violence on a prone player. What he did was a criminal act and if it happened out of the NRL he'd be in court for it. He still should be.
[automerge]1566764066[/automerge]
Also @broncosgoat I have agreed with a fair few of your more recent calls but if you think that article was satire, you're letting your agenda cloud your judgement. All good, you are entitled to do so but calling out others for not sharing your clearly biased opinion is just ridiculous. Have another read.
Of course they are happy they just won a game they shouldn't have. Saying they shouldn't be happy about winning a game with a man down for a quarter of the match flies in the face of reason. However, come monday, just like us, there will be plenty of work ahead for them.
You celebrate wins no matter how they come. It's 2 points. The key to getting them is not panicking when you lose. I think we played OK despite the loss.

Don't agree. Like being a patriot means questioning the wisdom of those whom lead the nation, questioning the wisdom of the coach is fair if constructive. Unblinding faith is never beneficial in the long run.
I think at times some have been too willing to question the wisdom of certain moves by our current coach, but he is not without fault, just the same. Some question his continued selection of ageing players, whilst others how he let go some established ones to blood youth, only to leave gaps in our depth.
These are fair points, but like politics, running a team always involves compromises of one sort or another. More often than not it involves calculated risks that don't always pay off. Bennet did so with milford and then with haas. He took chances with roberts and lodge. He gambled on bird.
Siebold has played his hand too, letting go of roberts, kahu, knik and possibly maguire. Only time will tell what these mean and how successful our young players can be. Some of their ups and downs are due to be rushed in early, but at the same time they also represent a bright future, and mature with each game played.
What we are obviously lacking is a game manager but this isn't entirely Siebold's fault. He does however have the team at his disposal and is the only one in a position to change the fortunes of the club. When he get himself involved in minor distractions, like demetriou, or publicly castigates his players without addressing the "why" of his players' faults, he leaves himself open to criticism and rightly so.
A good coach takes his concerns of players to the players themselves and feeds the media what he wants others to hear, not air his own grievances. He needs to be strong enough to take criticism on the chin and cop the occasional rant of an ex-player. He needs to stand up to whoever he needs to be sure the team picked is his. Anything else is deserving of questions.

JD does come across as a bit bitter. Kind of dont blame him in some ways. His resume below the NRL level is a lot more impressive than Seibold and probably even the likes of Green, for whatever reason he hasnt got lucky enough to get a head coach role and its clearly bugging him. I think his best option could be a stint in the Super league.
Imagine what he'll be like if he doesn't get the souths role when Bennett moves on

Really? Are you sure you wouldn't have criticised him for it? 😜

This sort of goes to my point, if he hadn’t said anything, there’d be nothing to criticise. It’s why I said last week he had more to lose than gain by leading with the chin like that.

I thought it was a great game and the back and forth added to it. It is actually nice to hear something other than the usual cliches from coaches.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Old Mate
  • eggstar10
  • bert_lifts
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Culhwch
  • Santa
  • MrRobot
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Inknition
  • Wolfie
  • Organix
  • Jedhead
  • Brocko
  • Fatboy
... and 63 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.