NEWS Why Jamayne Isaako wants to replace Anthony Milford as Brisbane’s fullback

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
  • Staff
Why Jamayne Isaako wants to replace Anthony Milford as Brisbane’s fullback

PETER BADEL, RUGBY LEAGUE, The Courier-Mail
September 5, 2019 5:23pm

Broncos man-of-the-moment Jamayne Isaako has outlined his plan to play fullback as Anthony Milford faces a challenge from the enemy within for the decorated Brisbane No.1 jumper.

On the eve of Brisbane’s final-round clash with the Bulldogs Saturday night at Sydney’s ANZ Stadium, “The Iceman” Isaako has big-picture plans that involve him wearing the fullback jumper made famous by Darren Lockyer.

Isaako was Brisbane’s golden-point hero against the Eels last week, driving home a field goal to all but seal a finals berth in a sign the backline dynamo has recaptured his confidence and zip on Brisbane’s right wing.

But ultimately Isaako has dreams to be Brisbane’s fullback matchwinner with the Broncos having spent the past three years grooming him to be Darius Boyd’s successor before coach Anthony Seibold’s big switch.

Seibold’s shock decision two months ago to move Milford to fullback and shift skipper Boyd to five-eighth has thrown a spanner in the works for Isaako.

The Kiwi Test flyer is a team player who has great respect for Milford’s talent and Seibold’s tactical gamble, but he is refusing to give up hope of becoming Brisbane’s pre-eminent custodian.

Asked if he still harbours a desire to shift to fullback, Isaako said: “Yes absolutely.

“I still have a goal to try and play fullback.

“At the moment Seibs has ‘Milf’ at the back and he is doing the job for us and I have to respect that.

“All I can do is try and perform on the wing and put my best foot forward for the team wherever they want to play me.”

One of Queensland’s greatest fullbacks, former Origin and Test custodian Gary Belcher, said it would be a mistake to move Milford, declaring he must finish his NRL career in the Broncos’ No.1 jumper.

Belcher believes Isaako has the skill-set to succeed in the backfield, but is adamant Milford has found a home out of the frontline.

“I think Jamayne will struggle to play fullback for the Broncos,” said 16-game Origin legend Belcher.

“Isaako can be a very good fullback but he has a bit of work to do to be the finished product.

“I just can’t see Isaako playing too many games at fullback unless Milford gets injured.

“I am loving the way ‘Milf’ is playing in the No.1 jumper. He is back in the groove there.

“His role is not that of a conventional fullback but it suits him beautifully the way they have got him playing.

“I know Darius hasn’t gone long left in his career but I wouldn’t move Milford back into the halves.

“Milf has shown he is a much better player for the club as a fullback and I hope he finishes his career there.”

Isaako struggled early in the season after being rocked by his father’s cancer diagnosis, but after a mid-season trip to visit his family in New Zealand, he has surged back into form.

“I’m just a lot less stressed about family matters,” he said.

“Just being able to go back home earlier in the year and speaking to the coaching staff about spending time with my father gave me a lot more stress relief.

“I came back to the Broncos with a clearer mind of my role here at training and my role in the team. That has definitely helped me.”

source: Courier Mail

kooly87

NYC Player
Can't say I've seen much from him to suggest he's got the skills to make it as a modern day Fullback.

I think to compete as a top shelf Fullback you've really got to be a highly skilled ballplayer or a devastating ball runner, or in a perfect world you'd be a combination of the two.

I'm not sure Isaako really meets either of these two criteria at this stage.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
Can't say I've seen much from him to suggest he's got the skills to make it as a modern day Fullback.

I think to compete as a top shelf Fullback you've really got to be a highly skilled ballplayer or a devastating ball runner, or in a perfect world you'd be a combination of the two.

I'm not sure Isaako really meets either of these two criteria at this stage.
I'd posit that he's more likely to develop a ball playing game than milford is to develop into a devastating ball runner.

kooly87

NYC Player
I'd posit that he's more likely to develop a ball playing game than milford is to develop into a devastating ball runner.
Both are probably long shots to be honest.

At least Milford has been a devastating ball runner in the past (a lot lighter than he is now) so you have some past performance to rely on.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
Both are probably long shots to be honest.

At least Milford has been a devastating ball runner in the past (a lot lighter than he is now) so you have some past performance to rely on.
True, I guess I was thinking of devastating runner more along the lines of Teddy or RTS.

kooly87

NYC Player
True, I guess I was thinking of devastating runner more along the lines of Teddy or RTS.
I'm not saying he was at their level, but you should re-watch some highlights of old Canberra Milford if you haven't done so in a while. I did and honestly, some of the stuff he was doing on a regular basis makes it hard to believe he's the same player we have now.

I should make it clear, I'm not bagging him at all. Just pointing out how radically different he is as a player overall, both for better and for worse.

Reactions: Tom

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
are you attempting to troll us right now ...

Milford has shown to be a devastating runner of the footy, in fact that is his biggest strength.

Isaako has never shown much in the way of playmaking ability (or the ability to stay in position)

and it is far easier for Milford to get back to his best running game than it is for Isaako to develop a playmaking game from scratch.

pagey

NRL Captain
I think he could be, the pass he threw the other week back on the inside was a gem and better than what I've seen milf throw.
I think he is on par with milf in the running department aswell, the only thing he is out of his depth in is defense. Milford hasn't shown me anything in the last few weeks that screams for him to stay ar one, he is just being used as another half.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
are you attempting to troll us right now ...

Milford has shown to be a devastating runner of the footy, in fact that is his biggest strength.

Isaako has never shown much in the way of playmaking ability (or the ability to stay in position)

and it is far easier for Milford to get back to his best running game than it is for Isaako to develop a playmaking game from scratch.
He'll never ever have the running game of the elite fullbacks in the competition. Ever.

And he's had, what, 10 games at full back and failed to crack 100m on the majority of occasions. Some people are living in a fantasy land when it comes to how he's performing.

He probably had his best game at fullback for us on Friday which is great but it was still middling from what you should expect and the team needs from a modern fullback.

Last edited:

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
He'll never ever have the running game of the elite fullbacks in the competition. Ever.
complete and utter BS

And he's had, what, 10 games at full back and failed to crack 100m on the majority of occasions. Some people are living in a fantasy land when it comes to how he's performing.

He probably had his best game at fullback for us on Friday which is great but it was still middling from what you should expect and the team needs from a modern fullback.
do you even watch the games or just look at stats ... he has pretty much been playing 5/8 in attack.

give the guy a proper pre-season to get his fitness to the level required of a fullback, and a bit more experience in the role and he will be up there with the best fullbacks in the NRL

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
complete and utter BS

do you even watch the games or just look at stats ... he has pretty much been playing 5/8 in attack.

give the guy a proper pre-season to get his fitness to the level required of a fullback, and a bit more experience in the role and he will be up there with the best fullbacks in the NRL
He wont be up there with the best of either position if his coach keeps making him play both.

He already was one of the best in a position.

That's great you think he'll be able to compete with Teddy, RTS, Tturbo, Ponga etc but I'm here to tell you you're dreaming.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter