Will Locky Retire?

His situation is completely different to Lockyers, is it not?

PETERN said:
His situation is completely different to Lockyers, is it not?

No because its still about playing to late. Going 1yr over.

And AP, imo Prince can not play for QLD while Thurston is. They are just to similar. Imo it should be Cronk first

Each to their own opinion draggx, only time will tell.

I for one would rather Lockyer in my Bronco team this year, and if up to standards would have no problem with him playing in 2011.

i Agree with Locky for this yr.

But imo Smith/hunt should play from the bench all season and get ready to take over for Locky in 2011. We should also win the premiership and send him out a champion.

I agree with draggx. His time is up in rep footy. He looked very brittle at times last year. If Prince and Cronk are playing better then he should do what is best for the team and step down. Playing on could be seen as selfish by some people.

He obviously still has a heap to offer at club footy though. We need him to guide this young team in the right direction over the next 1-2 years until they are more experienced. Hopefully then Hunt or Norman will still be around and will take over Locky's role. Will be shitty if they leave and kill it for another team.

How the times change.
When Wayne was in charge, he made the tough calls.
With the changing of the guard, it becomes the player's call.
Personally, i thing Locky can be nursed through this season, with possibly a role off the bench his best option during periods of the season.
I think he is past rep footy and realistically, he must only be continuing to break the try record.
He is not the best number 6 in the game, regardless of past accolades.

I was blown away when he was talking about two seasons - that is someone who clearly can't make the best decision for himself.

Wayne, was great at finishing blokes off.
He was right too.
I'm sure Dasher has Wayne's number.

i cant stand origin, so hopefully he retires from rep footy and concentrate on what really matters.

Anonymous person said:
[quote="#1 Kemp fan":16xw4asi][quote="Anonymous person":16xw4asi]he doesnt have to retire, but he shouldnt be still getting picked for QLD unless his form holds up. sick of players like Prince or Cronk missing out just because a 'favourite' is still playing, even though Prince and Cronk were in much better form.

LOL Lockyer was captain, he gives so much more to the Maroons then Cronk and Prince ever could. I do hope Lockyer retires though, it would be nice for him to devote a year or 2 solely to the Broncos.[/quote:16xw4asi]
Queensland doesnt NEED Lockyer anymore, thats the thing. back around 2000-2004 or so, if we didnt have lockyer we were no chance. then thurston came around, and suddenly not having lockyer wasnt really that big of a deal. cronk has won 2 premierships at halfback (and he was a big part of the reason why they won) and has an incredible, pinpoint kicking and passing game. his combination with the big 3 of the Queensland team (Slater, Inglis and Smith) would give the side more advantages than Lockyer can at this stage in his career. he also isnt just a speedbump for attacking players like Lockyer is these days. Prince, well he has shown that he can control a match, and anyone saying that he couldnt replace Lockyer mustnt have been watching much football over the last few years.

Lockyer should IMO go out a year early rather than a year late. noone likes seeing what was once the best in the business play worse than the average player, and im worried that thats how lockyer will go out if he doesnt stop getting picked for rep footy.[/quote:16xw4asi]

Pin-point kicking game, great passing game - you are correct, Cronk has both of these (and Prince for that matter). Both would do a great job for Queensland.

However, I just can't see them providing that extra effort needed when Queensland are really under the pump. Lockyer is the undisputed king of lifting his team out of trouble. Every time Queensland is really looking in trouble, you still feel like they are going to escape while Lockyer is in the side. I just don't see Cronk or Prince being able to provide that, and I feel that this year we will need it more than ever. Think of all the times Lockyer has dug that little bit deeper to win a game for his team right at the end - Origin 3, 2006/all 3 Ashes games in 2003/Broncos v Parra 2008/Broncos v Titans 2008/Broncos v Titans 2007/Tri-Nations Final 2006, to name a few.

Obviously Lockyer's time will come on the rep scene but I really think that if he does retire, Queensland's loss will be more severe than people think. Don't get me wrong I'd still back us to win whether it is Prince or Cronk paired with Thurston, but if NSW really have us on our back foot I won't be confident that we can rise from the death.

Why are we comparing Locky to Jones? I mean seriously.

I for one am sick of people talking about Locky and retirement. Only Locky will know when the time is right to retire from rep footy and then eventually retire from the game. Only he knows how his body feels and he has right to make his own mind up when the time is right. He will do what's right for everyone as he hasn't got a selfish bone in his body.

I think we should all stop talking about it and focus on the new season ahead.

King_Lockyer said:
I for one am sick of people talking about Locky and retirement. Only Locky will know when the time is right to retire from rep footy and then eventually retire from the game. Only he knows how his body feels and he has right to make his own mind up when the time is right. He will do what's right for everyone as he hasn't got a selfish bone in his body.

keep telling yourself that Darren. Just make a decision and live with it.

Jeba said:
Every time Queensland is really looking in trouble, you still feel like they are going to escape while Lockyer is in the side. I just don't see Cronk or Prince being able to provide that,
thats where thurston comes into it. he has been the one to step up and take control for us when times were tough in origin for at least the last 3 series'. the show and go then pass to tate one year was the try that broke NSWs back a few years ago, the show and go then pass to slater to win the series the other year....2006 was lockyer, but since then its been all thurston.

#1 Kemp fan said:
[quote="King_Lockyer":2zcjvm42]I for one am sick of people talking about Locky and retirement. Only Locky will know when the time is right to retire from rep footy and then eventually retire from the game. Only he knows how his body feels and he has right to make his own mind up when the time is right. He will do what's right for everyone as he hasn't got a selfish bone in his body.

keep telling yourself that Darren. Just make a decision and live with it.[/quote:2zcjvm42]

He will make a decision when he is good and ready.

I wish people would stop referring to the All Stars game as rep football - it was an exhibition match, not a representative match.

FTR, I would like to see Locky go round for Qld and Aust one more season this year and then one more with the Broncos only in 2011 before retirement.

Locky adds a lot more to both the Broncos and Qld teams than his actual on-field performances. Just knowing he is on the field with them gives the rest of the players a whole heap more confidence and belief they will win. Should never underestimate that as part of the winning formula.

Flutterby said:
I wish people would stop referring to the All Stars game as rep football - it was an exhibition match, not a representative match.

+45 million

I was just thinking about retired greats and it occurred to me that I did'nt give a rats arse about how they retired. Whether the player had a 'perfect' end or not was an irrelevance , what was important were the great moments of their career.

I for one will not think about the actual close of his career. What shame is there in truthfully saying, "I'm ready to play and believe I can do the job" and having the selectors say otherwise ??...all that means is the player has never given up. It means that if you want him he'll be there.

For mine, Locky plays for however long he likes. My memories will be of his service to the Broncs and Queensland. ...and the time he caught the ball sliding on his knee, one handed catch/scoop teetering on his own tryline and copping a high shot that he partially escaped, and still went forward with a battery of gorillas bearing down on him...arrrrrrr bloody champion

Personally I would just love to seem in Origin in 2010. Another year would definitely be pushing it I think he should come out and say - This is my last year of Origin! That way it would close all speculation.

Biased yes but I would love to see him there. 2011 should definitely be about the Broncs and the last throw of the dice before we go into Post-Locky era. By 2011 our young squad would have got some good games under their belt and hopefully footy smarter and less raw/dumb/instinctive plays and reads will set us up for the title.

Slightly disagree with you on the above post but only because speculation means people are talking about rugby league. It can be a healthy thing. With players like Lockyer they tend to make a considered decision and not succumb to a knee-jerk response. Probably due to the Benett influence players , who have played the majority of their careers under him, take their time and think it through. I note he said he'd speak with WB and I'm sure the timing will be what suits Locky best. The rest of us will have to sit and wait. Fair enough too !!

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Porthoz
  • cento
  • NSW stables
  • BroncosAlways
  • ivanhungryjak
  • bert_lifts
  • Hurrijo
  • Wolfie
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.