Will Locky Retire?

I do agree that if he says "i wanna play" you let him. But as a fan i dont want to see him retire due to a injury (Johns). I would love for him to say "I am hanging up my boots at season end" retire from rep right now and hopefully retire with a premiership on the first Sunday in October.

Langer never got that chance did he? Tallis didnt either. Webcke did and Lockyer deserves it to.

draggx said:
The longer he plays the higher the chance he will get dropped from Rep footy and become a shadow of himself for the Broncos.
No way Lockyer will be dropped from rep footy. If it's even looking like a 5% chance of that happening, I'm sure the powers that be will let him know well in advance so he can make his own decision.

yes QLD/Mal im sure would let him know but Australia/Sheens im not so sure.

draggx said:

Tim Sheens was quoted in the paper the other day telling him NOT to retire from Rep footy!

There are QLD people on the Australian selection panel are there not? They'd let him know.

Tim Sheens has been around for a while (my dad used to go to school with him!), so i'm fairly certain he'd give Lockyer a tap on the shoulder if the time came.

Meat77 said:
draggx said:

Tim Sheens was quoted in the paper the other day telling him NOT to retire from Rep footy!

Kinda, he was more saying to "think it over and dont rush"

And Ning, i know Sheens has been around ages and i do hope that he would give him a tap. But wouldnt it be nice for Locky at round 1 to go "Im retiring from rep" rather then a week from selection Sheens going "we wont be picking you" and then Locky going "oh shit better retire"

He also said that he feels he has the ability to keep playing at rep level.

His a proud bloke thats for sure and we wont want the All Stars to be his last Rep game i dont blame him. I just dont wanna see him push it to far.

he doesnt have to retire, but he shouldnt be still getting picked for QLD unless his form holds up. sick of players like Prince or Cronk missing out just because a 'favourite' is still playing, even though Prince and Cronk were in much better form.

Anonymous person said:
he doesnt have to retire, but he shouldnt be still getting picked for QLD unless his form holds up. sick of players like Prince or Cronk missing out just because a 'favourite' is still playing, even though Prince and Cronk were in much better form.

LOL Lockyer was captain, he gives so much more to the Maroons then Cronk and Prince ever could. I do hope Lockyer retires though, it would be nice for him to devote a year or 2 solely to the Broncos.

Lockyer has given years or service to his country, state and club teams, thus deserves to make up his OWN mind on to whether he would like to retire. I for one believe he shouldn't retire from representative football as of yet, as the years of service he has given makes him worthy of a more fitting finale then the premature quarter of football he played in the All Stars game. He probably believes Queensland is capable of a fifth series origin win in a row, and thus is most likely to retire from representative football then, dedicating his final year in footy (if it's too be) in 2011, to giving his all for the Broncos.

Even though 2009, wasn't one of his best years, he stood up when it counted, and after watching the Broncos v St George rd 24 clash on replay today on foxsports it further highlighted how instrumental he is to the Broncos chances of achieving success. However, his experience and undeniable talent plays a huge role in Queensland's quest of a 5th series win in a row, and thus won't be dropped and will most likely go out on his terms during this series.

People saying he should retire from representative football is understandable in regards to wanting him to give his all to the Broncos, but people saying he should retire from club football as well, shows a huge amount of disrespect to the player who has given so much to their club. The younger players (i.e Hunt, Smith, Norman) will slowly make their mark, and that will be with Lockyers assistance of course. That is when he will hang up the boots.

Who else would they rather learn off, then the best player in their respective position in the modern era.

Never knock a champion.

PETERN said:
Who else would they rather learn off, then the best player in their respective position in the modern era.

Never knock a champion.

I doubt draggx is arguing. I think he is mainly saying given the injuries and lacklustre (by his standards) seasons Locky has had since he did his knee in 2007 that it might make sense to give it away a "year too soon" than go on and have some really horrible seasons and be remembered leaving the game as a crock.

Think Stacey Jones 2009.......

Thankyou and your right.

Jones will now be remembered alot for 2009. I dont want the same to happen to Locky

Didn't Jones come out of retirement though?

Now would be the right time for Locky to leave the rep scene. Prince and Cronk are more than capable of guiding Queensland around and, with the Broncos having a very inexperienced roster, it would be great to have him focus 100% on club footy.

Jones however came out of retirement after a whole year out or footy, Lockyer by his standards has had some lacklustre displays, but by no means has performed poor throughout the whole stretch of a season.

And Jones believed he still had it. He was wrong was he not?

#1 Kemp fan said:
[quote="Anonymous person":zot5fg3t]he doesnt have to retire, but he shouldnt be still getting picked for QLD unless his form holds up. sick of players like Prince or Cronk missing out just because a 'favourite' is still playing, even though Prince and Cronk were in much better form.

LOL Lockyer was captain, he gives so much more to the Maroons then Cronk and Prince ever could. I do hope Lockyer retires though, it would be nice for him to devote a year or 2 solely to the Broncos.[/quote:zot5fg3t]
Queensland doesnt NEED Lockyer anymore, thats the thing. back around 2000-2004 or so, if we didnt have lockyer we were no chance. then thurston came around, and suddenly not having lockyer wasnt really that big of a deal. cronk has won 2 premierships at halfback (and he was a big part of the reason why they won) and has an incredible, pinpoint kicking and passing game. his combination with the big 3 of the Queensland team (Slater, Inglis and Smith) would give the side more advantages than Lockyer can at this stage in his career. he also isnt just a speedbump for attacking players like Lockyer is these days. Prince, well he has shown that he can control a match, and anyone saying that he couldnt replace Lockyer mustnt have been watching much football over the last few years.

Lockyer should IMO go out a year early rather than a year late. noone likes seeing what was once the best in the business play worse than the average player, and im worried that thats how lockyer will go out if he doesnt stop getting picked for rep footy.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • davidp
  • Strop
  • Manofoneway
  • The Strapper
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • Justwin
  • mitch222
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Financeguy
  • teampjta
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.