Will Locky Retire?

Anonymous person said:
Jeba said:
Every time Queensland is really looking in trouble, you still feel like they are going to escape while Lockyer is in the side. I just don't see Cronk or Prince being able to provide that,
thats where thurston comes into it. he has been the one to step up and take control for us when times were tough in origin for at least the last 3 series'. the show and go then pass to tate one year was the try that broke NSWs back a few years ago, the show and go then pass to slater to win the series the other year....2006 was lockyer, but since then its been all thurston.

Not exactly what I meant.

Thurston can come up with big plays yes, but Lockyer's presence on the field just gives a team so much more confidence in big games. Never panics, times his plays perfectly, doesn't always go for the big play when it's not needed, keeps a cool head.

It's no coincidence that in our 4 series wins, the one we came closest to losing was the one where Lockyer wasn't there.

Coxy said:
Flutterby said:
I wish people would stop referring to the All Stars game as rep football - it was an exhibition match, not a representative match.

+45 million

imo any match that puts a Bronco in another jersey is a rep match.

A representative match in my mind, is a match a player will be selected for if they have ascertained a certain level of ability and form, worthy of recognition.

The All Stars match does not fall under that category. It was more a glorified trial.

ningnangnong said:
player will be selected for if they have ascertained a certain level of ability and form, worthy of recognition.

And did the fans not pick players they believed deserved recognition?

Indig because fans believed those guys are the best the Nrls Indig community has to offer. The Allstars because the fans believed they are the best players each club had to offer.

Origin,Australia,Allstars - All those games are picked on some form of skill. its just the fans are the selectors in the allstars.

Again this is 100% my opinion so dont nooone come in going "wrong".

draggx said:
ningnangnong said:
player will be selected for if they have ascertained a certain level of ability and form, worthy of recognition.

Indig because fans believed those guys are the best the Nrls Indig community has to offer. The Allstars because the fans believed they are the best players each club had to offer.

Origin,Australia,Allstars - All those games are picked on some form of skill. its just the fans are the selectors in the allstars.

Again this is 100% my opinion so dont nooone come in going "wrong".

No one said you are wrong, i enjoy reading everyone's opinion and you make some valid points!

IMO representative football is the upper echelon of Rugby League where you are rewarded for consistency displayed over a period of time.

The All Star game was a bit of a piss take IMO. There was no real intensity to it. It served as a testing ground for some stupid rules, like that 'double try' thing or whatever it was. It may partly fall under the criteria of a representative match, when in reality it was anything but.

^
Agreed

Exhibition matches are different to rep.

I highly doubt QLD "NEED" Locky to win, however IMO it will be harder without him. Whether significantly or not is the argument. I suppose some people think the other way too.

draggx said:
ningnangnong said:

Considering 99% of league fans are retarded when it comes to selecting a team or recruiting a team, I think that in itself discredits the game from being considered a "rep" game.

Jeba said:
It's no coincidence that in our 4 series wins, the one we came closest to losing was the one where Lockyer wasn't there.
2006 was the closest we've come to losing, and Lockyer was there for that.....

Anonymous person said:
Jeba said:
2006 was the closest we've come to losing, and Lockyer was there for that.....

Actually, you are correct, my bad [eusa_doh We wouldn't have won that one without him.

I still stand by my point though. If Lockyer retires, it will be a bigger loss than most people will think.

im not trying to make it out like losing him wont be a big loss - it will. but i think 99% of that 'loss' will be psychological, ie 'oh noes we've just lost the best player of our generation, whatever wills we do?!'. because theres very little doubt that on-field performance wise we can cater for his retirement, we have an embarrassment of riches in that area at the moment, and to put it frankly pretty much every single one of the other players have outplayed Lockyer over the last 2-3 years in nearly every aspect of their games.

if we had a young and unexperienced team then the fact that we didnt have Lockyer might overwhelm them, but with players like Smith, Inglis, Slater, Prince, Thurston, Price, Civoniceva, etc in the team, i dont see it being a problem. theyve won without Lockyer before, theyve stood up and been the pivotal players in the team even with Lockyer there, and theyd have no problem doing it again.

agreed about 2006 though - without Lockyer, we lose that series, and not just because he was the actual person that scored the try to win it for us. It was the fact that he was there to get the loose ball, he just has an uncanny ability of being in the right place at the right time, and its not just luck.

like Huge (i think it was) said, you just need to think back to 01 or 02 when he did that marvelous sliding one handed take in front of our own goal-line with 4-5 NSW chasers swarming on the loose ball to see that he just 'gets' it. no other player wouldve even been in the position to take that, let alone take it and then run 20m up the field the way he did.

Pretty much agree with everything you said there, but I think the psychological loss will take hard work to overcome. I am sure Queensland can do it and I do not for one minute think that we will lose this year's series if Lockyer retires but couple his loss with the loss of Neil Henry and it will be very difficult.

Jeba said:
Pretty much agree with everything you said there

What's this? Jeba and Anonymous Person agreeing?

*walks outside* Pigs aren't flying.
Is hell frozen?

:P

The Rock said:
Canga said:
I think he will play the Anzac test and then retire.

I don't think he can? I thought you have to play all or none.

It's been done plenty of times before. I believe the ARL judge it on a case by case basis and given Locky's record playing Test football over the years I'd say he can do whatever he wants.

As above, technically it's not allowed but it being Lockyer I would be shocked if they didn't accept his request. Seeing the amazing service he's given at rep level he'll be able to do what ever he likes.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Tim K
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Justwin
  • Santa
  • Ras
  • Swordfish
  • Culhwch
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.