Willie Tonga talks of quitting Cowboys and Joining Broncos

L

Locky24

QCup Player
May 17, 2009
KANGAROOS centre Willie Tonga is trying to quit the North Queensland Cowboys to join a rival NRL club for next season despite being under contract for another two years.
The Courier-Mail understands his manager Isaac Moses has been shopping him around to other clubs, including the Broncos and the Parramatta Eels.

The Broncos' approach came after it was revealed over the weekend that Greg Inglis had reneged on his deal to sign with the South Sydney Rabbitohs

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 5951367811

Re: Willie Tonga talks of quitting Cowboys and Joining Bronc

I hope he comes to us, he'd be a great fir into our backline for next season icon_thumbs_u

Don't want him.

He'd be good for the short term but for the long term I don't see any value for him.

Not to mention, I don't want to see us take another senior talent from elsewhere, I'd much rather take a junior like Dylan Farrell from Souths.

The Rock said:
[quote="Big Pete":3i8w154n]He'd be good for the short term but for the long term I don't see any value for him.

So this is different to Greg Inglis....how?

Tonga still has another 3 years (at least) left in the NRL. He's experienced and he's still in good form. I'd take him any day. Provided that we don't pay overs for him though.[/quote:3i8w154n]

^^^ This. He's been very good for Queensland the past two series, played solidly for Australia this tournament (not spectacular). He's a left centre.

He would be ideal IMO. And he wouldn't be asking $600K!

He would be absolutely awesome for us on a two or three year contract. He would be on half what Inglis would be on as well and IMO would fit well with out team. I REALLY hope this happens :)

I can't see why the Cowboys would let him go.

Would love to have him though. I don't really like any of our current left centre options. Not to mention we all know that Hodges is going to be injured at some point, so it would be nice to one other experience centre.

user_nat said:
I can't see why the Cowboys would let him go.

Would love to have him though. I don't really like any of our current left centre options. Not to mention we all know that Hodges is going to be injured at some point, so it would be nice to one other experience centre.
Maybe to offer Matt Scott an upgrade eusa_think

Much prefer to pay Tonga 600k than Inglis.

I'd be happy with Tonga for reasons as already stated by others.

As to the question of why would the Cowboys let him go? Well if he doesn't really want to be there he's not really going to perform to his best.

Couldn't see the Cowboys letting him go without a struggle to be honest.

I would love him here but after the year he has had, good form for the Cowboys, Aus & QLD selectiong (although it was due to injury), I can't see him coming at a reasonable price. As well as this After 1 or 2 years I think he will get to the stage where we have seen his best and age will start to get the best of him. I don't really see it as a smart long term buy for the money you would expect he would be after at the moment.

I think we will survive just fine with our current options for left centre.

It seems he may head to the Eels if released by the Cowboys

Foordy said:

Could understand that. That's where he got his NRL start.

Coxy said:
Foordy said:

Could understand that. That's where he got his NRL start.

And they're all cuzzy bros.

So I wonder if he really wants to head to the Broncos, or his manager is just increasing his bargaining power. I hear the broncos are good for doing that

Tonga is step up from Glenn and Gillett but his best footy is behind him.
He's a one trick pony with that in and away, but due to injuries he lack the speed off the mark to pose many problems for opposition teams.

The Rock said:
[quote="Big Pete":19sf0r7b]He'd be good for the short term but for the long term I don't see any value for him.

So this is different to Greg Inglis....how?

Tonga still has another 3 years (at least) left in the NRL. He's experienced and he's still in good form. I'd take him any day. Provided that we don't pay overs for him though.[/quote:19sf0r7b]

Are you joking?

Inglis is 23 as opposed to 27 and doesn't have a history of knee injuries like Tonga does.

Where as Tonga would be a good short term option, Inglis would've been a GREAT short term option with potential to be an EXCELLENT long term option.

I just wonder what the signing of Tonga says to our young centres.. Happy to see Tonga play for the Broncos but would prefer if we developed our own.

Big_Dave said:
Tonga is step up from Glenn and Gillett but his best footy is behind him.
He's a one trick pony with that in and away, but due to injuries he lack the speed off the mark to pose many problems for opposition teams.

Uhhh... did you watch Tonga play last year?

Active Now

• Dash
  • Johnny92
  • Justwin
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Midean
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • davidp
  • TimWhatley
  • Brocko
  • azza.79
  • Alec
  • the_next
  • Accept
  • KickHaas
  • Painin the Haas
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.