Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

S

Stu

Feb 19, 2017
It is very easy to criticise when your thousand's of miles away and not actually in the ground. I'm very disapointed that you are making excuses such as the referee, we didn't care, conditions and the length of the pitch. Rubbish! Both teams play to the same conditions, the pitch is the widest in superleague and the & correct length(ideal for your international half backs!). The players dont travel 12000 miles to lose (and you could tell they cared). Warrington weren't at full strength, our team were busted and we had to play youngsters and we had only 2 aussies in the team. One of them showed Darius how to play fullback(good for an old man).
Oh yeah, the ref made you miss takles & drop balls (all basics) and when we threw the ball you struggled with tactics that weren't up 4 then kick.
In short 2nd best in every area. You've alot to do in a very short space of time. Especially your half backs

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
One of them showed Darius how to play fullback.

mu7pnc.gif

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
It is very easy to criticise when your thousand's of miles away and not actually in the ground. I'm very disapointed that you are making excuses such as the referee, we didn't care, conditions and the length of the pitch. Rubbish! Both teams play to the same conditions, the pitch is the widest in superleague and the & correct length(ideal for your international half backs!). The players dont travel 12000 miles to lose (and you could tell they cared). Warrington weren't at full strength, our team were busted and we had to play youngsters and we had only 2 aussies in the team. One of them showed Darius how to play fullback(good for an old man).
Oh yeah, the ref made you miss takles & drop balls (all basics) and when we threw the ball you struggled with tactics that weren't up 4 then kick.
In short 2nd best in every area. You've alot to do in a very short space of time. Especially your half backs

Did you read my post? I already acknowledged that we would have lost either way and Warrington were the better team, but that doesn't change the fact the ref was poor and no one will still answer my fucking question as to whether it is common for offside not to be enforced.

I actually don't know what your problem is.

Wild Horse

Wild Horse

NRL Player
Jan 26, 2017
Yeah, seems like he is either trying too hard or doesn't want to be there. But he does not look happy on the field and hasn't for a while.

Agreed. It's the pressure of playing for the Brisbane Broncos maybe. And he knows that soon it will all be on his shoulders when hunt leaves. Hmm... Things could have been so different if we had of just one that premiership in 15.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016

Go have a can of warm beer and watch a replay.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Ah well, didn't win = it was all the refs fault, it''s a conspiracy blah blah

We never looked like winning and were beaten by a far better team on the day

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Ah well, didn't win = it was all the refs fault, it''s a conspiracy blah blah

We never looked like winning and were beaten by a far better team on the day

No one is saying it's all the refs fault.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I am worried. Not because we're not capable of winning the premiership, but because we have once again banked on contests being evenly reffed, and drilling our players to be the best possible within the rules.

The NRL is bullshit though. The teams that succeed are the ones that are allowed to break the rules. In those situations we simply have not been taught to fight fire with fire. And if we ever do, we get murdered by the refs.

Warrington were all over us because they were allowed to be. I am sure that if we had tried to follow suit, we'd have just been penalised out of the game (correct PTB notwithstanding).

We need a leader with a bit of mongrel. Not to fight fire with fire, but when the opposition uses fire, we come in with flame-retardant motherfucking sledgehammers. Parker only did that once last year. The grubby Bulldogs were allowed all kinds of shit by the refs, but instead of replying in kind, a furious Parker led us to one of the most brutal defensive displays I've ever seen. Hodgo was a natural at it.

Does Darius have it? If not, let him be the cool head under pressure and have Blair as the defacto leader of the pack. No one combines one-percenter diligence with raw brutality like him in our team. If the opposition wants to defend off-side, we let them commit early and sneak one-handers off to Milford or Roberts. If they want to roll the ball between their legs, we make sure the tackled player is still on the ground when we get up so we can cut down the next runner from marker, not allow them to sneak past in tight and get behind the ruck. And if they're lying all over us in the ruck, we go in to the tackles low and fast, avoiding their shoulders, driving at their hips and poking our heads through on our hands & knees ensuring we can get up before their markers and split them next play.

R

radiowarrington

Feb 17, 2017
Of course its standard practice to ignore all the rules. (OK it's not and an insult to the players and the ref to suggest it)

At the game, both sides seemed to be pulled back 11 or 12m and allowed to get to the ref with their back foot. Personally I prefer the system where refs go back 10 and use the front foot. Is this a difference between Aus and England? - at various points Brisbane were going back too far. I also felt that Warrington employed an "up and in system" in the Broncos half that seemed to work.

The main reason Brisbane did not win was that they are 3 weeks behind Warrington in preparation. Warrington had pre season friendlies and were dire in them. They started the season last week and were awful but it takes a few weeks to get up to speed.
I would expect Warrington as one of the top sides in England last year to complete with mid table sides in the NRL but if you put a lower English side against a higher Aussie side it would be embarrassing. There is not the depth in the game here. Some of the lower sides are populated with journeymen and mediocre imports who circulate between the lower clubs.

I should also say the Brisbane players were a credit to the club - doing coaching clinics and school appearances and being totally available to the media. I know sponsors loved the event too.

There also seemed to be great camaraderie between the two sets of players. Both sets stayed a long while after the game chatting with each other, swapping shirts and then chatting with fans, doing autographs and photos. I was chatting with some soccer fans who attended and they were amazed by the game

So...win or lose ...was it good for the game? I'd have to say yes.

Last edited:
winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Seems like every team brings their A game and plays that extra bit harder when they play the broncos.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Some interesting stats coming out of that game...

Darius Boyd - 10 Runs, 69m is well below his average (averaged 124m in 2016).

Matt Gillett - 48 Tackles only 2 misses but 4 penalties. Considering the way the Broncos season ended last year, Matt will have to work on this area of his game.

Joe Ofahengaue - 12 Runs (103m) and 35 Tackles (0 Missed). The error aside, a pretty handy hit-out from Joe.

Josh McGuire - 21 Passes, equal the amount as Milford and only two behind Hunt. Brisbane cannot allow him to be the linchpin of their ball movement. It's a shame because 17 runs (155m) and 31 Tackles (1 Missed) would have made him head and shoulders the best forward for the Broncos. The two errors really let him down in that regard.

Team Stats: Warrington 97% completions, Brisbane 58% completions.

Warrington 2349m Gained
Brisbane 1922m Gained

It doesn't matter how good your goal line defence is, when you're allowing the opposition to make that much territory you're just asking for problems.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
McGuire played about 15 minutes as dummy half so that would have skewed his pass stat

P

Pushkin

QCup Player
May 27, 2016
I think Broncos gone miss Corey Parker big time. He always do the hard yard. Their is lack of leadership in the team. The whole team couldn't understand what was going on in the match.

S

Stu

Feb 19, 2017
Did you read my post? I already acknowledged that we would have lost either way and Warrington were the better team, but that doesn't change the fact the ref was poor and no one will still answer my fucking question as to whether it is common for offside not to be enforced.

Its not a problem. And I'm very glad that someone like yourself has been complementary and has spoken in an unbiased
Go have a can of warm beer and watch a replay.
Had one pal, nice and warm. Drank it while watching the game. Same opinion. Although we noticed last night at the ground that the bronco's were offside alot aswell.

S

Stu

Feb 19, 2017

There is no problem. And thank you, its good that you are one of the few to say we played well. It's not a personal attack on you and your post Its a statement to the majority of posts that give unfair excuses for your team instead of complementing the team that won (which you did). Offsides 50/50. A lot goes unnoticed on tv, you see more when at the ground.
Your fans at the ground - credit to your club.

S

Stu

Feb 19, 2017

There is no problem. And thank you, its good that you are one of the few to say we played well. It's not a personal attack on you and your post Its a statement to the majority of posts that give unfair excuses for your team instead of complementing the team that won (which you did). Offsides 50/50. A lot goes unnoticed on tv, you see more when at the ground.
Your fans at the ground - credit to your club.

C

Cheshire Cat

Feb 20, 2017
I would like to thank Brisbane for coming over to the UK for the game
However don't talk about a skinny 10 m line, it was the same for both sides
Give Warrington and the Super League some credit
The NRL arrogance will be your downfall over the coming years
Good luck for your 2017 season and maybe we will meet again in 2018

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Dee
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.