Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Of course its standard practice to ignore all the rules. (OK it's not and an insult to the players and the ref to suggest it)

At the game, both sides seemed to be pulled back 11 or 12m and allowed to get to the ref with their back foot. Personally I prefer the system where refs go back 10 and use the front foot. Is this a difference between Aus and England? - at various points Brisbane were going back too far. I also felt that Warrington employed an "up and in system" in the Broncos half that seemed to work.

The main reason Brisbane did not win was that they are 3 weeks behind Warrington in preparation. Warrington had pre season friendlies and were dire in them. They started the season last week and were awful but it takes a few weeks to get up to speed.
I would expect Warrington as one of the top sides in England last year to complete with mid table sides in the NRL but if you put a lower English side against a higher Aussie side it would be embarrassing. There is not the depth in the game here. Some of the lower sides are populated with journeymen and mediocre imports who circulate between the lower clubs.

I should also say the Brisbane players were a credit to the club - doing coaching clinics and school appearances and being totally available to the media. I know sponsors loved the event too.

There also seemed to be great camaraderie between the two sets of players. Both sets stayed a long while after the game chatting with each other, swapping shirts and then chatting with fans, doing autographs and photos. I was chatting with some soccer fans who attended and they were amazed by the game

So...win or lose ...was it good for the game? I'd have to say yes.

Thanks for your input, it is always good to get insight into the game from the other side of the fence. I think just about everyoe has confirmed that Warrington were by far the better side on the night and deserved the win. You can't begrudge passionate supporters having a bit of a gripe about decisions that did not go their team's way. You wouldn't expect anything less would you?

I would like to thank Brisbane for coming over to the UK for the game
However don't talk about a skinny 10 m line, it was the same for both sides
Give Warrington and the Super League some credit
The NRL arrogance will be your downfall over the coming years
Good luck for your 2017 season and maybe we will meet again in 2018
Downfall? Don't make me laugh.

Thanks for your input, it is always good to get insight into the game from the other side of the fence. I think just about everyoe has confirmed that Warrington were by far the better side on the night and deserved the win. You can't begrudge passionate supporters having a bit of a gripe about decisions that did not go their team's way. You wouldn't expect anything less would you?

I do expect passionate supporters to have a gripe but then after we calm down, we have a chat, have a beer and generally admit our flaws while admiring the other teams quality players. Then we realise how lucky we are to watch a great game. :)

Best of luck for the season

It is very easy to criticise when your thousand's of miles away and not actually in the ground. I'm very disapointed that you are making excuses such as the referee, we didn't care, conditions and the length of the pitch. Rubbish! Both teams play to the same conditions, the pitch is the widest in superleague and the & correct length(ideal for your international half backs!). The players dont travel 12000 miles to lose (and you could tell they cared). Warrington weren't at full strength, our team were busted and we had to play youngsters and we had only 2 aussies in the team. One of them showed Darius how to play fullback(good for an old man).
Oh yeah, the ref made you miss takles & drop balls (all basics) and when we threw the ball you struggled with tactics that weren't up 4 then kick.
In short 2nd best in every area. You've alot to do in a very short space of time. Especially your half backs

Your ref was ridiculous! He let your lot stand easily 1m + and get off the line early. That's not an excuse thats fact.

Ah well, didn't win = it was all the refs fault, it''s a conspiracy blah blah

We never looked like winning and were beaten by a far better team on the day

No but the fact they were offside all night was irritating. I don't care we lost , in fact it's better that we did .

Ah well, didn't win = it was all the refs fault, it''s a conspiracy blah blah

We never looked like winning and were beaten by a far better team on the day
I bet you think 2016 Origin game III was reffed well too, right?

I would like to thank Brisbane for coming over to the UK for the game
However don't talk about a skinny 10 m line, it was the same for both sides
Give Warrington and the Super League some credit
The NRL arrogance will be your downfall over the coming years
Good luck for your 2017 season and maybe we will meet again in 2018

Come over to Aus, play on a proper size ground with an unbiased ref and you will get spanked. Your pommy refs carried the super league sides this year so the whole world club challenge thing could continue. I am just glad we didn't cop any major injuries and that our forwards got taught a lesson so they will be primed for round 1 now

I hope we don't go back next year. Our club doesn't owe the Super League anything and you guys can play the Knights or something.

Come over to Aus, play on a proper size ground with an unbiased ref and you will get spanked. Your pommy refs carried the super league sides this year so the whole world club challenge thing could continue. I am just glad we didn't cop any major injuries and that our forwards got taught a lesson so they will be primed for round 1 now

Yeah you'll from an biased ref to an incompetent ref

Last edited:
I think Offa had a real strong game, he showed a lot more effort and aggression.

Fai also impressed me with his short stint on the field, he could definitely push for a spot in the 17.

Hunt had a poor game and Milford was nowhere to be seen all game.

From the game we shouldn't read too much into it.

We are really going to miss those Parker offloads with McGuire at lock.
Not quite sure how McGuire can play lock. Do this exercise. Go on the pitch with an eye patch on and see how effective you are at being a complete ballplayer as the modern lock has to be. It ain't happening with one eye which is how McGuire has to play. He will struggle there.

I thought both the English teams played well but we were pretty much on a flogging to nothing. Everything was stacked against us, the distance, the weather, the refereeing, our first serious run of the year and honestly we didn't really have much to play for.

If we had won everyone would have just said we did what was expected and then written the win off as nothing special, if we lost (as we did) everybody then takes the opportunity to have a dig. It was a no win situation for the boys.

So let's get some perspective...

The Cows were awful in their win against a toothless Tigers.

Melbourne were never in it against Canterbury.

Canberra got smashed by the Knights.

and now Cronulla have been comprehensively outplayed by Wigan.

The most important thing is that there weren't any injuries and the Wolves taught them a lesson when there weren't any points on the line. Still plenty to work on, but the Broncos should be much better for the hit-out.

Not quite sure how McGuire can play lock. Do this exercise. Go on the pitch with an eye patch on and see how effective you are at being a complete ballplayer as the modern lock has to be. It ain't happening with one eye which is how McGuire has to play. He will struggle there.
Do it for 2 years and see if that makes any difference.

Have you not seen Daredevil?

Both us and Cronulla really struggled to adapt to the English rules and ground. There were some penalties that wouldn't be given in Australia and some of those attacking kicks wouldn't have gone dead here. Cronulla were smashed in the penalties in the first half and had 2 tries disallowed by the video ref, the first one looked fair but the second one was 50/50. The 10 was also very small in the Sharks game as well.

That said, both Warrington and Wigan deserved to win both their games.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.