Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

As a Warrington fan who attended the game on Saturday i'd like to start by praising the conduct of the Brisbane players who were a credit to their club all week. The likes of Thaiday and Gillett were sporting in defeat and went to great lengths to spend time with the fans after the match, giving away their boots etc and were given a great reception by the home fans.

The reaction of some of the Brisbane fans on here hasn't been as sporting, and frankly has been a bit embarrassing in some cases. There seems to be a deep ignorance about our club and players which is typified by the comments about the "small Warrington pitch" which is demonstrably untrue given the pitch is actually the maximum size permitted at 120 yards long and 74 yards wide... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halliwell_Jones_Stadium

I would also obviously disagree that Warrington were only back 7 yards all game (particularly given the pitch size) but i accept that we'll have to disagree on this. It is certainly a familiar excuse/reason whenever an English team beats an Aussie team.

As for the match itself, obviously i'm pleased to get the win, particularly given we are missing 3 of our top 5 players at the moment and looked dreadful in our first game last week. Before the match i expected Brisbane to be tough to beat, however i was surprised by the lack of creativity in the halves/backline and i thought that we managed to contain your forwards pretty comfortably which was less of a surprise because we have a very good pack ourselves (even without Hill and Currie).

It's pleasing that 2 of the 3 tries were from kicks which shows our defence handled most of what Brisbane threw at us, with the other being a terrible one-on-one miss from Atkins.

For Brisbane i thought McCullough got through a mountain of work albeit didnt offer much in attack, Gillett showed a couple of classy touches and Roberts has the ability to punish the slightest lapse in concentration but was targeted to good effect in defence. Milford strikes me as a luxury player who will look amazing when things are going his way, but struggles to pull a team out of a hole when things get tough. I imagine you'll be better for having Blair and Sims in to give you some go-forward and hopefully Hunt will put this down as a tough day at the office and can rediscover a kicking game for Round 1 - i expect he doesn't come up against a team that pressure kicks as well as Warrington most weeks as we have made this a real feature of our game.

Good luck in 2017 and hopefully we can play again soon for the tag of World Champs!

Warrington look a reasonable side. To be honest it surprising that English teams don't win these games more often. They have such a massive advantage.
Home ground advantage. Crowd and unfamiliar conditions for broncs
Home referee advantage. I say this because there was a penalty given for something which isn't a thing in the NRL. Plus ruck interpretation
More advanced preparation .
I not sure what the point of these contests are, except to setup a David and Goliath scenario.
To be fair it's quite condescending to the ESL that they are always handed the advantages.

I have had a laugh at the headlines though. "Broncos make history by being first Australian team ever to be beaten in a World Club Series match".......

It's a little insulting to Warrington, really - surely it should be that they made history by winning, not us by losing...

The reaction of some of the Brisbane fans on here hasn't been as sporting, and frankly has been a bit embarrassing in some cases.

You don't get to BHQ much, do you?

General thoughts in response to gusthebronc (from a biased pom)

Fast centres and wingers who did not get any decent ball (when they did they scored)
Props were strong but had big breathers after each carry - they played the ball slow
Second rowers seemed to be mixed up between going centre channel and wide - but were ok. Thaiday was great with the crowd - he seemed to enjoy himself. He got applauded when being subbed because he applauded the crowd and I think hes probably still signing shirts and autographs now

Halves and full back - never really linked and did not take on the line - they were the most disappointing part. Kicking game was not good

In the end - they looked as poor as Warrington were a month ago- both teams are at the season start but the English season is 3 weeks ahead of Aus

If the game gives you
a) money (the two UK games will bring in $2million - my guess - which is ok for a "friendly")
b) good publicity
c) a meaningful run out
d) a fantastic pre season team bonding camp
e) a good experience travelling for youngsters (and media etc practice for the young guys)
f) a break away from brisbane or sydney media pressure
g) game time against an unknown quantity

Those have to be positives

I agree with everything you said mate , but that 10m was abysmal and very leaniant towards Warrington. I get the home ground advantage but it really did take away from there performance. I admit Warrington was the better team , but it would have been nice to see some expansive footy .

And now they have 11 days to shake off jet lag/travel blues then get back on the training paddock in time to address the issues that the game brought to the surface.

It's a load of shit, I hate it. I never want to see the Broncs in the WCS again. WHAT is in it for us? Money? We don't exactly need that. Further exposure of the game in England? They don't exactly need that either in the places the NRL teams play. It's entirely for the sake of Bennett saving face as English coach (but then we were involved before he was their coach).

Money and camp are the reasons.

It probably helps with recruitment/retention a bit. I know a free trip to England every year would entice me.

As a Warrington fan who attended the game on Saturday i'd like to start by praising the conduct of the Brisbane players who were a credit to their club all week. The likes of Thaiday and Gillett were sporting in defeat and went to great lengths to spend time with the fans after the match, giving away their boots etc and were given a great reception by the home fans.

The reaction of some of the Brisbane fans on here hasn't been as sporting, and frankly has been a bit embarrassing in some cases. There seems to be a deep ignorance about our club and players which is typified by the comments about the "small Warrington pitch" which is demonstrably untrue given the pitch is actually the maximum size permitted at 120 yards long and 74 yards wide... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halliwell_Jones_Stadium

I would also obviously disagree that Warrington were only back 7 yards all game (particularly given the pitch size) but i accept that we'll have to disagree on this. It is certainly a familiar excuse/reason whenever an English team beats an Aussie team.

As for the match itself, obviously i'm pleased to get the win, particularly given we are missing 3 of our top 5 players at the moment and looked dreadful in our first game last week. Before the match i expected Brisbane to be tough to beat, however i was surprised by the lack of creativity in the halves/backline and i thought that we managed to contain your forwards pretty comfortably which was less of a surprise because we have a very good pack ourselves (even without Hill and Currie).

It's pleasing that 2 of the 3 tries were from kicks which shows our defence handled most of what Brisbane threw at us, with the other being a terrible one-on-one miss from Atkins.

For Brisbane i thought McCullough got through a mountain of work albeit didnt offer much in attack, Gillett showed a couple of classy touches and Roberts has the ability to punish the slightest lapse in concentration but was targeted to good effect in defence. Milford strikes me as a luxury player who will look amazing when things are going his way, but struggles to pull a team out of a hole when things get tough. I imagine you'll be better for having Blair and Sims in to give you some go-forward and hopefully Hunt will put this down as a tough day at the office and can rediscover a kicking game for Round 1 - i expect he doesn't come up against a team that pressure kicks as well as Warrington most weeks as we have made this a real feature of our game.

Good luck in 2017 and hopefully we can play again soon for the tag of World Champs!

That's equivalent to 110 metres. We play on 120 metre pitches. Its a massive difference when it comes to in goal kicks. (just ask the team that come over here to play the roosters a couple of years ago) Also, don't they teach you guys over there how to play the ball properly? It was like watching tunnel ball. And yes we will disagree with the 7 metres on side.

That's equivalent to 110 metres. We play on 120 metre pitches. Its a massive difference when it comes to in goal kicks. (just ask the team that come over here to play the roosters a couple of years ago) Also, don't they teach you guys over there how to play the ball properly? It was like watching tunnel ball. And yes we will disagree with the 7 metres on side.

It's already been stated that they don't have to use their foot to play it over there. Blair would have killed it ;)

It's already been stated that they don't have to use their foot to play it over there. Blair would have killed it ;)

To be honest, I am glad we kept to our standards in the ball playing department. Otherwise we would get killed by the ref in rnd 1

we're going to get killed by the ref in round 1 anyway ... the reason is still TBD though :P
They'll be worried about running into Fifita after the game.

Well jet lag, etc is an excuse for Cronulla too, the Broncs have no excuse to lose round 1.

The play the ball rules re having to use the foot are the same in the UK and you occasionally see penalties for not using the foot if it’s blatant, although less so now than perhaps 3 or 4 years ago. Interestingly, the trend of not using your foot to play the ball is bemoaned in the UK by traditionalists as being the result of NRL influence on the game i.e. something the Australian players have brought over with them.

Nah @wirefan, I've been watching RL for over 45 years and the pommies were notorious for it back then.

Nice summary of the game though, good to see your take on it.

Nah @wirefan, I've been watching RL for over 45 years and the pommies were notorious for it back then.

Nice summary of the game though, good to see your take on it.

I wasn't giving my own view, i was just telling you how it's perceived over here. It would cause many a wry smile over here if people knew that the Aussies were slating us for not playing the ball properly. It's an interesting difference in perception.

I wasn't giving my own view, i was just telling you how it's perceived over here. It would cause many a wry smile over here if people knew that the Aussies were slating us for not playing the ball properly. It's an interesting difference in perception.

So your saying that the refs usually pull that up ? Because he didn't seem to worried about it the other day!

Many a wry smile, jeez.

nigel_pinchley.png

Poms are the worst.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • thenry
  • Old Mate
  • Viti
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Justwin
  • Maroon4life
  • Kev_Guz
  • Dony Eliakim
  • lynx000
  • Jazza
  • Battler
  • Mick_Hancock
  • FACTHUNT
  • LittleDavey
  • OzeMike
  • Alec
  • Waynesaurus
... and 81 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.