NImitz

BRL Player
Sep 8, 2016
I would like to thank Brisbane for coming over to the UK for the game
However don't talk about a skinny 10 m line, it was the same for both sides
Give Warrington and the Super League some credit
The NRL arrogance will be your downfall over the coming years
Good luck for your 2017 season and maybe we will meet again in 2018

The super league is shit, mate. Why don't you bring your wolves over to Brisbane next year?? Ya'll will get spanked for sure. NRL clubs travel to England every to help lift the profile of the game over there coz ya'll aint shit!

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
Some interesting stats coming out of that game...

Darius Boyd - 10 Runs, 69m is well below his average (averaged 124m in 2016).

Matt Gillett - 48 Tackles only 2 misses but 4 penalties. Considering the way the Broncos season ended last year, Matt will have to work on this area of his game.

Joe Ofahengaue - 12 Runs (103m) and 35 Tackles (0 Missed). The error aside, a pretty handy hit-out from Joe.

Josh McGuire - 21 Passes, equal the amount as Milford and only two behind Hunt. Brisbane cannot allow him to be the linchpin of their ball movement. It's a shame because 17 runs (155m) and 31 Tackles (1 Missed) would have made him head and shoulders the best forward for the Broncos. The two errors really let him down in that regard.

Team Stats: Warrington 97% completions, Brisbane 58% completions.

Warrington 2349m Gained
Brisbane 1922m Gained

It doesn't matter how good your goal line defence is, when you're allowing the opposition to make that much territory you're just asking for problems.

Hey Big Pete, just wondering where you get your stats from?

The NRL App has Joe with 37 tackles, and 115 metres from 12 hit ups.
There are variations with other player's stats as well.

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
From those stats Herman is the Offa of last year. I thought Eseese didn't add much and the stats prove it.

Rhys van Beurden

Rhys van Beurden

QCup Player
Jun 20, 2013
Was Ese'ese ever that good? Everyone seemed to be fluffing him up, but I never saw it.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I thought both the English teams played well but we were pretty much on a flogging to nothing. Everything was stacked against us, the distance, the weather, the refereeing, our first serious run of the year and honestly we didn't really have much to play for.

If we had won everyone would have just said we did what was expected and then written the win off as nothing special, if we lost (as we did) everybody then takes the opportunity to have a dig. It was a no win situation for the boys.

I have had a laugh at the headlines though. "Broncos make history by being first Australian team ever to be beaten in a World Club Series match".......

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
I have had a laugh at the headlines though. "Broncos make history by being first Australian team ever to be beaten in a World Club Series match".......

They might've been referring to the current format. Not the one off games.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
They might've been referring to the current format. Not the one off games.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. The current format that has been running for 2 years now......

Technically they are correct but the sensationalism is hilarious.

ZTop

ZTop

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Feb 28, 2016
@Pommyguys
Did any of the Broncos players stand out to you as playing good?

R

radiowarrington

Feb 17, 2017
General thoughts in response to gusthebronc (from a biased pom)

Fast centres and wingers who did not get any decent ball (when they did they scored)
Props were strong but had big breathers after each carry - they played the ball slow
Second rowers seemed to be mixed up between going centre channel and wide - but were ok. Thaiday was great with the crowd - he seemed to enjoy himself. He got applauded when being subbed because he applauded the crowd and I think hes probably still signing shirts and autographs now

Halves and full back - never really linked and did not take on the line - they were the most disappointing part. Kicking game was not good

In the end - they looked as poor as Warrington were a month ago- both teams are at the season start but the English season is 3 weeks ahead of Aus

If the game gives you
a) money (the two UK games will bring in $2million - my guess - which is ok for a "friendly")
b) good publicity
c) a meaningful run out
d) a fantastic pre season team bonding camp
e) a good experience travelling for youngsters (and media etc practice for the young guys)
f) a break away from brisbane or sydney media pressure
g) game time against an unknown quantity

Those have to be positives

Horseheadsup

Horseheadsup

NRL Player
Mar 21, 2016
d557a81abb7ec2042c528db3376a6ed4.jpg

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Boys just home.

And now they have 11 days to shake off jet lag/travel blues then get back on the training paddock in time to address the issues that the game brought to the surface.

It's a load of shit, I hate it. I never want to see the Broncs in the WCS again. WHAT is in it for us? Money? We don't exactly need that. Further exposure of the game in England? They don't exactly need that either in the places the NRL teams play. It's entirely for the sake of Bennett saving face as English coach (but then we were involved before he was their coach).

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
And now they have 11 days to shake off jet lag/travel blues then get back on the training paddock in time to address the issues that the game brought to the surface.

It's a load of shit, I hate it. I never want to see the Broncs in the WCS again. WHAT is in it for us? Money? We don't exactly need that. Further exposure of the game in England? They don't exactly need that either in the places the NRL teams play. It's entirely for the sake of Bennett saving face as English coach (but then we were involved before he was their coach).

Its a long way to travel for no incentive. I just hope the boys bonded well and will play for each other come round 1.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Both us and Cronulla really struggled to adapt to the English rules and ground. There were some penalties that wouldn't be given in Australia and some of those attacking kicks wouldn't have gone dead here. Cronulla were smashed in the penalties in the first half and had 2 tries disallowed by the video ref, the first one looked fair but the second one was 50/50. The 10 was also very small in the Sharks game as well.

That said, both Warrington and Wigan deserved to win both their games.
So the excuses are valid for the Sharks (and the Broncos now), but before the Wigan game, Broncos fans were just whinging... is that more or less the gist of it?

Why don't you just come out with whom you really support?

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • Big Del
  • Bish
  • Waynesaurus
  • leon.bott
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.