World Cup allegiances

dukey

dukey

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2008
With the squads being named and kickoff only a few months away, who is everyone going to be cheering for?
I'm a dyed in the wool Aussie supporter in all sports, but the dominance of the Kangaroos has put me off cheering for them somewhat, to the point where I found myself clapping every Kiwi try in the Centenary Test. Yuck.
So this year I'll be cheering for some underdogs, and the team that chose me is Scotland. They've got one of my favourite SL players in Brough as captain, and if Peter Wallace is named then I am sold. I'll be heading to Canberra to cheer them on in their first game.
What about the rest of you? What nations will you be following?

obviously i'll be going for the Aussies. but in the games not involving the Aussies, i'll be cheering for the minnows. Fiji, Tonga, Scotland etc.

Yeah I'd like to see some of the Islander teams go well.

Tonga and Fiji I think. Not really support any team other then Australia, except on a per game basis.

I too, have cheered when NZ win. They are just too inconsistent without their full compliment, which is why, with everyone on deck for the WC, hopefully they can pull something out.

NZ tend to do better in series than in one-off Tests, so hopefully they will gel after the first game or so.

I'll be getting behind England, the country of my heritage icon_thumbs_u and I would like to see Tonga and Samoa do well also.

IMO any players that don't get into the Australian squad that have direct foreign ancestry should be allowed to play for those respective countries with relaxed allegiance rules. I'm not sure if that's 100% the case but if we are serious about this game going global and the players are up for it, we need to spread the talent as best we can.

E.g. Wallace and Hindmarsh for Scotland, White for Ireland etc etc

Where did you hear that Hannant wants to represent England Russo ?

England for me as well. icon_thumbs_u

England have said thanks but no thanks to Hannant.........not good enough apparently! [icon_wink [icon_wink [icon_wink
Although he may get a go as a last minute replacement if something goes wrong! [icon_razz1

Aussies first and foremost.

But have plenty of family in Wales and that's where my ancestry lies (or 75% of it at least), so the Welsh will be my second team throughout.

1. Australia
2. New Zealand (I'm half kiwi, although my biological Kiwi grandmother is a total biatch, meh, my mum's orsm)
3. Ireland. Doesn't matter what the sport, I love supporting the Irish
4. Anyone playing England :P

Russo said:
And Hannant wants to play for England [icon_lol1.

its getting to the point where u can say yeh ive watched fawlty towers before so can i play for england?

NZ have picked SBW according to this afternoons Courier Mail.
Would he be allowed to play? [icon_shru

bianc said:
NZ have picked SBW according to this afternoons Courier Mail.
Would he be allowed to play? [icon_shru

I guess so... [icon_shru

Unless the NZRL have stated that only people signed and playing with a senior RL team can make the squad... although that's clearly not the case as they've named him!

He won't play, though.

LOL! Imagine if there was a warrant for his arrest! :P

It depends what the teams will be. Ill wait till they name the 17.

Imagine if they did select him in the 17, can you imagine the reception he'll get from his team"mates" and the Aussie squad...lol...bring it on I say.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.