VOTE Would you be ok with Lodge as captain?

Should Matt Lodge Be Captain

• Yes

Votes: 85 63.9%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 14 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 34 25.6%

• Total voters
I've voted not sure as I'm not sure he should be captain, but I wouldn't have a problem if he was captain either.

He has reformed himself, and he deserves to be given a chance.
Yup. He should definitely be allowed to be captain but I'm not sure he's the best choice.

So much respect brother coming from here! My younger sister picked me up on a word I'd mispronounced for years. The word was commensurate, I knew it's meaning but was saying 'comeasurate' as in co- measure--ate!

I hated it and loved it at the same time ha ha. Worst thing, it was at a extended family dinner, bulk witnesses and embarrassment!

Just for clarity, you do know that 'moot' means 'subject to debate, dispute or uncertainty'. It is being debated but your usage of moot here certainly doesn't mean it won't happen!

Hello Huge. In the spirit of providing information I can point out that you're correct in one sense but also wrong in another. A moot point can be either "a matter which is uncertain and open to debate" or "an irrelevant argument" depending on the variant of English one is using. The former meaning is typically associated with British English while the latter with North American English.

As an older fellow I would expect you'd have been taught the former meaning at school however the Macquarie Dictionary allows either definition. Unfortunately I've had to resort to my work's access to the online dictionary so I can't provide a link or any information about whether the latter definition was accepted in the first version or more recently. No matter how hard us older gents scream at the tide I suspect this trend will continue and the American English meaning of words and phrases will continue to gain acceptance within Australian English. While we may wish to spread knowledge ourselves, purely as a public service no doubt, it behooves us to make sure our information is still cromulent before promulgating it lest we mislead others under the guise of informing.

Yeah but part of the reason for that is we have a lot of good sponsors paying plenty of money to be involved with the club.
Yeah. But so? Do we really need to be that rich? Manly are clearly miles ahead of us this year.

Some might drop off, but as soon as we start winning (assuming Lodge as captain will foster that), more will want to be a part of it.

We can't keep thinking about off field success when we aren't using it on it. We're a football club after all. I'd rather not be embarrassed in September anymore

You'd also best add stickit* in front of your name before you go so we know where you stand

I’m definitely joking about ditching the Broncos. Obviously wouldn’t be on the forum if I didn’t care..

But seriously, we’re not the Broncos I fell in love with when I was a lil boy.

Someone like Lockyer was the captain back then... Not someone like Lodge.. Someone like Lodge wouldn’t have had the honour of playing for the Broncos. Maybe I’m wrong and I should accept it all.

I’m definitely joking about ditching the Broncos. Obviously wouldn’t be on the forum if I didn’t care..

But seriously, we’re not the Broncos I fell in love with when I was a lil boy.

Someone like Lockyer was the captain back then... Not someone like Lodge.. Someone like Lodge wouldn’t have had the honour of playing for the Broncos. Maybe I’m wrong and I should accept it all.
You are wrong. Accept it. We had Gordon Tallis as captain ffs. and Hodgo, both far bigger drongos on the field than lodge ever has been, and both did just fine as captains.
I mean, our current captain was investigated for sexual assault a handful of years back, as was Sammy Thaiday and Karmichael Hunt.
This whole Lodge thing has been blown way out of proportion by NSW media, and every grubby journo looking for a quick paycheck.
Did Lodge **** up? Sure did. Does he deserve to have that hung over his head for the rest of his life? Not even close.
Ffs, show me one bloke who didn't get into a bit of trouble in his 20's and i will eat my hat.

You are wrong. Accept it. We had Gordon Tallis as captain ffs. and Hodgo, both far bigger drongos on the field than lodge ever has been, and both did just fine as captains.
I mean, our current captain was investigated for sexual assault a handful of years back, as was Sammy Thaiday and Karmichael Hunt.
This whole Lodge thing has been blown way out of proportion by NSW media, and every grubby journo looking for a quick paycheck.
Did Lodge **** up? Sure did. Does he deserve to have that hung over his head for the rest of his life? Not even close.
Ffs, show me one bloke who didn't get into a bit of trouble in his 20's and i will eat my hat.

We’re talking about our captain though. Seeing big pictures of Darius and Lodge up in the Broncos Leagues club as past captains will be hilarious to look back on in the future. Quite indicative of this time in Broncos history.

Perhaps co-captains, with Lodge the 'on field' captain and somebody else does media work and functions, etc?

Lodge has paid his penalty as prescribed by the US judicial system and has rehabilitated. People need to move on from the past, far worse human beings have been captains in the NRL.

voted unsure.

probably not the best PR move. doesn't need to be officially captain if he is indeed the leader at the club. Blair wasn't captain and he was the alpha male of our pack at the time (Hodges was), yeah situations aren't really comparable but the point i'm making is Blair didn't need the C to be an inspiration to his fellow team mates, Lodge can be the same.

but we don't really have many bloody choices do we, and I think of all things, this is the metric the board/club should be taken to task about. where the **** is your succession/future planning?

Last edited:
Yup. He should definitely be allowed to be captain but I'm not sure he's the best choice.

Hello Huge. In the spirit of providing information I can point out that you're correct in one sense but also wrong in another. A moot point can be either "a matter which is uncertain and open to debate" or "an irrelevant argument" depending on the variant of English one is using. The former meaning is typically associated with British English while the latter with North American English.

As an older fellow I would expect you'd have been taught the former meaning at school however the Macquarie Dictionary allows either definition. Unfortunately I've had to resort to my work's access to the online dictionary so I can't provide a link or any information about whether the latter definition was accepted in the first version or more recently. No matter how hard us older gents scream at the tide I suspect this trend will continue and the American English meaning of words and phrases will continue to gain acceptance within Australian English. While we may wish to spread knowledge ourselves, purely as a public service no doubt, it behooves us to make sure our information is still cromulent before promulgating it lest we mislead others under the guise of informing.
I was well aware of the subtleties and correctly selected the usage that was germane. This was evidenced by the response.

Just looking at the poll results and with the understanding that it is a small sample size I see that acceptance runs at around 70% while rejection is approximately 20% . Allowing a split of 50/50 on the undecided we end up with 3 to 1 in favour. That's a pretty strong endorsement on a controversial topic. I'm not saying sponsors would vote the same way but it's quite interesting nonetheless.

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • Culhwch
  • Bucking Beads
  • Big Del
  • john1420
  • Aldo
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  • Financeguy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Redux
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.