VOTE Would you be ok with Lodge as captain?

Should Matt Lodge Be Captain

• Yes

Votes: 85 63.9%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 14 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 34 25.6%

• Total voters
I’m 100% for Carrigan. Glenn if still around but then he is holding back Fifita/TPJ. Boyd shouldn’t even be in the team. Gillett is unlikely to start. TPJ is an example kind of player but spends too long on the sidelines. Milf does not have a good effort perception and still has brain fades in his game. Macca is a leader but shouldn’t be in the team.

So the captaincy has to go to a young un. There’s just way too much baggage for Lodge at present, it’s two-three years too early.

So choose your best young leader other than Lodge - It is 100% Carrigan.

I'm assuming in my post that you aren't a coach of a club. To think I'm saying YOU are trying to not hurt feelings is a bit silly don't you think.

I really am confused @Nashy
I don't have a clue why me being or not being a coach has any relevance
Here's what I see;
1 - I made a suggestion of co-captains
2 - You stated it was a bad idea and we shouldn't care about hurting players feelings
3 - I thought you were saying the reason I was suggesting co-captains was to avoid hurting feelings
4 - I'm not suggesting co-captains to avoid hurt feelings, so I stated that

What am I missing?

If Lodge was on any other team in the NRL every member on here would be calling him a dog, ****, piece of shit, NSW conspiracy, anti QLD appointment (refer to Gallen) etc etc

Irrespective of the fact that he’s sorry, remorseful etc He’s just not fit to be the captain of the Broncos. Fact of the matter is WE don’t need the distraction moving into 2020, if all it takes to be captain is to have an underperforming teams respond to you on the field, then make Haas or Fifi the captain, they are by far better players on the field.
No, not every member. Russel Packer did much worse and not every single last member condemned him. You simply cannot make that claim or speak for everyone as most members won't comment at all. Lodge got blind, and stoned and made a mistake, even if he played for someone else I'd find his efforts since then to be genuine. It is a tough question though, should his mistake disqualify him.

No, not every member. Russel Packer did much worse and not every single last member condemned him. You simply cannot make that claim or speak for everyone as most members won't comment at all. Lodge got blind, and stoned and made a mistake, even if he played for someone else I'd find his efforts since then to be genuine. It is a tough question though, should his mistake disqualify him.

Ok then, the majority of members

The public outcry/backlash when he was allowed back into the game was justified, the guy is lucky to be free, let alone playing in the NRL and kudos to him for making positive changes.

But that doesn’t change the fact it happened, it was no minor mistake, it was an extremely violent act that could have ended a lot worse for all parties involved. The video of what happened on that night will trend on every social media site and mainstream media outlet. Again I ask WHY in the world given the last 12 months would the club welcome/want that type of negative backlash

I think Lodge's natural stance is aggression, when that red mist comes down he will always revert to that in the heat of the moment. I think that's when those silly penalties and moments you speak of come into play a bit more.

Did you miss the game against the Sharks where he got a blatant, forceful knee to the head and mostly kept his cool? Personally, I'm not sure how he didn't react and see red in that situation.

So I took your advice and watched the whole video. I would be lying if I said that my opinion on Lodge has not somewhat shifted.

A couple of things struck me about the video. Firstly, it was a bit of a grind to get through. The hosts were not overly engaging and it was fairly obvious that the show is a bit of a work in progress.

More importantly, what kept me interested was listening to what Lodge himself had to say. I found him to be very honest and genuine in all his responses. I would agree that at the very least he is taking great strides in trying to turn his life around. I can honestly say that I see him in a different light.

You mentioned that I should keep a close eye on what JYY had to say about Lodge. I did and I found that I put more stock into what Lodge had to say about himself, rather than what Jharal was sprouting.

In regards to him being captain, he certainly seems the kind of guy who could offer some good leadership to our younger players. Lessons learnt from his own mistakes will prove to be valuable advice to any troubled player who is willing to listen. I think he may have earnt the right to some sort of leadership role within the team, just not the captaincy. And I definitely agree with people who are pointing out that being thrust into that role might actually set back his development. I know he said he would accept it....but does he even want it?

Lastly and unfortunately for Lodge I still think he will have to live with consequences of his troubled past. Sure he can't remember what happened in the US but it does excuse the fact that it's something he will have to live with. And i still struggle with the claims of DV commited against his former girlfriend. I have seen first hand how that kind of thing can very negatively affect the life of the victim, as I'm sure many people on this forum have also.

So yeah still a no for me, but I am comfortable with supporting him in some kind of leadership role within the club but more importantly supporting him as a Brisbane Bronco.

Apologies for the wall of text.
[automerge]1569556923[/automerge]

Just seen this. Might want to read my last reply mate.
Yeah fair enough and good job on checking it out.

I'm glad you got something out of it and apologies for not giving you enough respect to think you'd question your own beliefs.. that I'm not used to and I definitely respect that

Ok then, the majority of members

The public outcry/backlash when he was allowed back into the game was justified, the guy is lucky to be free, let alone playing in the NRL and kudos to him for making positive changes.

But that doesn’t change the fact it happened, it was no minor mistake, it was an extremely violent act that could have ended a lot worse for all parties involved. The video of what happened on that night will trend on every social media site and mainstream media outlet. Again I ask WHY in the world given the last 12 months would the club welcome/want that type of negative backlash
Well, the public quickly grows tired of any video. By repeating something constantly it tends to lose it's impact. In the beginning there will be an onslaught but most aussies in my experience believe in redemption, second chances. No, not every aussie but in general. Like I say, it's a tough question. As far as I can tell Lodge isn't just one thing, the same as all of us. I'm not my worst deed or my best, I'm a mixture.

Let's just wait and see.

I really am confused @Nashy
I don't have a clue why me being or not being a coach has any relevance
Here's what I see;
1 - I made a suggestion of co-captains
2 - You stated it was a bad idea and we shouldn't care about hurting players feelings
3 - I thought you were saying the reason I was suggesting co-captains was to avoid hurting feelings
4 - I'm not suggesting co-captains to avoid hurt feelings, so I stated that

What am I missing?

My original post is my suggestion that the reason the co-captain system exists in this sport, is because a bunch of weak coaches couldn't put their foot down and make a selection that was best for the team. I could be wrong.

My opinion is that co-captains is a shit concept, I don't like it, and I believe it came about because of the above scenario.

My original post is my suggestion that the reason the co-captain system exists in this sport, is because a bunch of weak coaches couldn't put their foot down and make a selection that was best for the team. I could be wrong.

My opinion is that co-captains is a shit concept, I don't like it, and I believe it came about because of the above scenario.

All good mate
You may be right that the only reason it has ever been done in the past is for this shit reasons you suggest
Even if that is the case, that does not mean there isn't possibly a good reason to do it
Still, if you believe the concept is bad no matter what the reason, then of course I understand that position, but then it's not about hurting peoples feelings anymore, it's just a blanket statement that co-captains doesn't work

Last I heard we live in a country where people who serve a sentence or pay a fine are not treated like second class citizens and deemed criminals for the rest of their days.

Granted there are more unforgivable crimes but Lodges wasn't one.

Lodge is somebody who as a young man made mistakes, wronged people and even harmed people. If he has changed his ways and is helping other young men not make the mistakes he made, I say good on him and well done.

Tell me what the difference is in what Tallis did to Ben Ross. You can't, that was aggrivated assault. But because it was on a footy field people turn a blind eye, no pun intended Ben.

How many cases of DV , ETOH abuse and sexual assualt have been swept under the carpet because of a players stature in the game, GI anyone. Greg Bird glassed his misses and still co captained the Titans. Packer brutally curb stomped a guy and became a captain. There are other cases. Lots of these people didn't even change their ways apart from Packer who like Lodge does a lot of youth work.

I find it strange the obsession with holding people down. Not letting the past be the past. Take a man for how he is, not for how he was. It speaks volumes that those close to him, respect him despite his past.

Agree, but to be completely fair, Lodge was a completely different bloke the night of that incident, simply due to the cocktail of chemical reactions of the alcohol and whatever substances he took. It’s not a true indication of his character either.

I’m all for Lodge’s redemption but let’s also not rewrite history.

Lodge had tried to fight has coach at the time, Bellamy in a car park. Played a game with **** on his wrist strap, and allegedly been abusive to an at the time girlfriend.

This event in New York isn’t a total insight into his character but it also isn’t a completely isolated event.

Strong no, has everyone just joined the let’s make the wrong fucking decision brigade like the club seems to have?

It’s a moot point anyway, no fucking chance it happens.
If your not willing to be positive about what our team is doing to move into the future for high expectating dick head fans like you than you don’t deserve to be a fan when we get to that glorious point in the future

Last edited:
If your not willing to be positive about what our team is doing to move into the future for high expectating dick head fans like you than you don’t deserve to be a fan when we get to that glorious point in the future
Yeah not having high expectations and instead low standards of the team I support is really the way to go.

Last edited:
I’m all for Lodge’s redemption but let’s also not rewrite history.

Lodge had tried to fight has coach at the time, Bellamy in a car park. Played a game with **** on his wrist strap, and allegedly been abusive to an at the time girlfriend.

This event in New York isn’t a total insight into his character but it also isn’t a completely isolated event.
Things change bro...

Nothing to admit. Get over it. Take your headmaster hat off. Typically overstating things, I do not frequently correct others or offer advice, I occasionally do so. In the response to the original post I also recounted one of my many mistakes demonstrating that I fail too. Unlike others though, I own them and admire others that do so.

I’ll give you this, you are the most successful troll this forum has ever seen.

At least a quarter of your posts would involve correcting people and only a few days ago you were boasting how happy you are to be corrected and admit you mistakes.

Take your fanboy spiel and **** off. This forum is open to differing opinions.

Active Now

• BooKhaki
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • Browny
  • Old Mate
  • Brocko
  • lynx000
  • Fitzy
  • Alec
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.