CRICKET WTC and Ashes Tour of England

What are everyone’s thoughts on how we bowled last night?

I thought the defensive fields were somewhat warranted given circumstances & conditions but I feel like we got a bit drawn into bowling similar areas as we would in a limited overs game.. Lyon in particular seemed fixated on a very different leg stump line than his usual areas .. obviously it was our first real look at the Poms batting with their new approach, but I reckon we need to come up with a definite plan pretty quickly or we’re going to struggle to bowl they’ve chewed us up and spat out 350+
Simply not tactically good enough. I didn’t agree with being so defensive so early but I get as time went on without the pitch providing anything we had to stem the flow of runs. Bowlers as you said did not bowl the right line and length. It seemed to me like we had 0 plan and went with the flow which is not good enough. As much as Starc would get flogged there is 0 variety in the pace attack at the moment which is making it easy. I think we got lucky that they declared on 393. Issue was the blokes that usually make 10-15 before departing we’re getting 30’s and 40’s really quick which meant when an actual partnership came along it blew us out of the water.

I just don’t see us winning if they keep chucking up decks that give the bowlers nothing. They will just keep putting the runs on quickly, declaring and giving there bowlers the world of time to get us out. I’m inherently against what they are doing with the pitches a pitch without pace, seam, swing and spin is not acceptable in test match cricket and it deadset requires ICC intervention. I am all for English having a say in there home tours but that’s an extreme abuse of power here. I guess don’t judge a wicket till both teams bat on it but that was ludicrously poor. But my feeling is that you should only be allowed to tamper within the natural conditions (enhance the effects not mitigate) your country provides as India does with spin and we do with bounce and pace. Every man and their dog knows England is notorious for swing and seam and there was none of that. A really poor rating needs to be given by the ICC of edgbaston cause it’s simply not good enough and imo it is on par with sandpaper on the ball. You can not even remotely convince me otherwise. They have clearly decided they will cheaply work there way to victory this series rather than going through us but whatever floats your boat.

The declaration from England was a bit insane. The pitch is dead and if we’re good enough we have the time to bat 2.5 days on a flat track. Moeen and Root are their only spin options, so if their quicks fail it could get ugly for England.

edit: our tail is quite long without starc and/ or neser.

Simply not tactically good enough. I didn’t agree with being so defensive so early but I get as time went on without the pitch providing anything we had to stem the flow of runs. Bowlers as you said did not bowl the right line and length. It seemed to me like we had 0 plan and went with the flow which is not good enough. As much as Starc would get flogged there is 0 variety in the pace attack at the moment which is making it easy. I think we got lucky that they declared on 393. Issue was the blokes that usually make 10-15 before departing we’re getting 30’s and 40’s really quick which meant when an actual partnership came along it blew us out of the water.

I just don’t see us winning if they keep chucking up decks that give the bowlers nothing. They will just keep putting the runs on quickly, declaring and giving there bowlers the world of time to get us out. I’m inherently against what they are doing with the pitches a pitch without pace, seam, swing and spin is not acceptable in test match cricket and it deadset requires ICC intervention. I am all for English having a say in there home tours but that’s an extreme abuse of power here. I guess don’t judge a wicket till both teams bat on it but that was ludicrously poor. But my feeling is that you should only be allowed to tamper within the natural conditions (enhance the effects not mitigate) your country provides as India does with spin and we do with bounce and pace. Every man and their dog knows England is notorious for swing and seam and there was none of that. A really poor rating needs to be given by the ICC of edgbaston cause it’s simply not good enough and imo it is on par with sandpaper on the ball. You can not even remotely convince me otherwise. They have clearly decided they will cheaply work there way to victory this series rather than going through us but whatever floats your boat.
The pitch reminds me of a sub continent road like you’d see at Colombo. The issue for England is that there have been instances on decks like that where the two batting sides put on 600+ each. Australia has a very good top 7 and could replicate that if blokes like Smith get in. If England have to turn to Moeen tomorrow without a few wickets on the board then I reckon they’re in trouble.

I don't get the pitch complaints regarding Edgbaston. It's their Adelaide.

India got 416 last Test there batting first and England ran down 378 chase. Smith got two 140's there in 2019.

India got 7/710d there in 2011. Last Ashes there Australia got 487 in their second innings.

The list goes on and on.

I don't get the pitch complaints regarding Edgbaston. It's their Adelaide.

India got 416 last Test there batting first and England ran down 378 chase. Smith got two 140's there in 2019.

India got 7/710d there in 2011. Last Ashes there Australia got 487 in their second innings.

The list goes on and on.
Hopefully this is the case but the reality has to set in eventually and the reality is they came out and publicly said this dead pitch is what they want all series. I don’t think this is going to be an Edgbaston exclusive to be honest.

Hopefully this is the case but the reality has to set in eventually and the reality is they came out and publicly said this dead pitch is what they want all series. I don’t think this is going to be an Edgbaston exclusive to be honest.

Who cares? If you get 400 too and win the game, a pitch leaning to batting won't cost you the game. Adelaide has had some great chases.

Who cares? If you get 400 too and win the game, a pitch leaning to batting won't cost you the game. Adelaide has had some great chases.
Who cares? Me. We are staring at a pitch without swing, seam, spin, pace or bounce for crying out loud. It’s all great if we get 400 but it takes twice the fucken time. They have mitigated the risk of their style of play by removing any tools to asssist bowlers. That’s not test cricket, that’s one day cricket. Go and watch some of that if you want to watch good run chases at the expense of bowlers interests.

That kind of pitch is going to be what kills test cricket. It favours batting far more than bowling

Who cares? Me. We are staring at a pitch without swing, seam, spin, pace or bounce for crying out loud. It’s all great if we get 400 but it takes twice the fucken time. They have mitigated the risk of their style of play by removing any tools to asssist bowlers. That’s not test cricket, that’s one day cricket. Go and watch some of that if you want to watch good run chases at the expense of bowlers interests.

Australia are already batting and day two hasn’t started. They’re 3/4 of a day ahead.

When England won by two runs here in 2005 I can’t remember anyone saying how boring they got 407 first innings. It went down to Kaspa on the last day.

That kind of pitch is going to be what kills test cricket. It favours batting far more than bowling

Like how this exact pitch killed Test cricket in 2005 Ashes?

2 down and not looking good

Dunno how commentators were saying it's even or that Australia had a good day. Bat first and score 400 and you're well ahead of the game

Virtually the entire southern hemisphere saying Australia will bat for the next two days on this wicket.. we’re $1.15 to get rolled for sub 250

Are we talking about Warner yet?
We can’t have it all. Can’t be expecting Davey Warner to score runs on the same night Alex Twal scores a meaty that’s just fucken ludicrous.

We can’t have it all. Can’t be expecting Davey Warner to score runs on the same night Alex Twal scores a meaty that’s just fucken ludicrous.
Ghosts That Seems Fair GIF by CBS

Uz, Travis, Greeny and Carey shouldering a huge load for any hope.

It was over the second we didn't back our bowlers and tried to protect boundaries, after all the talk about doing it against our attack we made it virtually certain by allowing them to take as many easy singles as they like.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • GCBRONCO
  • Tmac
  • broncos4life
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Culhwch
  • Redfern_1980
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • RolledOates
  • bb_gun
  • jarro65
  • Dreaglor
  • jd87
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.