OFFICIAL Xavier Coates Leaves Broncos

A professional scum with no morals, yeah. Bread and butter stuff for News corp.
Badel is a gossip columnist. Sports reporting is fueled by speculation.

There are actual evil journalists out there who don't care if their misinformation reboots the Cold War:

Bellamy says he "is still interested" in the Sharks job.

Bellamy is just driving up his price at Melbourne. Also this “Coates hasn’t made his decision is bullshit and the Storm just playing with us again.
Reading between the lines it sounds like he's agreed to join but they're still waiting for a couple of t's to get crossed. Maybe Xavier has asked for a pony and they're still trying to find one cute enough. Or maybe he's balking on dying his pubes pink for them.

Reading between the lines it sounds like he's agreed to join but they're still waiting for a couple of t's to get crossed. Maybe Xavier has asked for a pony and they're still trying to find one cute enough. Or maybe he's balking on dying his pubes pink for them.

They might be waiting for confirmation that his soul is not owned by another party before they take possession.

Bellamy is just driving up his price at Melbourne. Also this “Coates hasn’t made his decision is bullshit and the Storm just playing with us again.
He just hasn't finalised the boat order, he wants it is periwinkle blue. Can't have something appear sight unseen in your driveway.

Badel is a gossip columnist. Sports reporting is fueled by speculation.

There are actual evil journalists out there who don't care if their misinformation reboots the Cold War:

At best this proves that way too many journalists are scum, not that Badel is a poor guy just doing his job. He'd do the exact same thing if uncle Rupert moved him into the politics department.

At best this proves that way too many journalists are scum, not that Badel is a poor guy just doing his job. He'd do the exact same thing if uncle Rupert moved him into the politics department.
No, I'm just saying Badel in no way stands out from other journalists as being particularly sloppy. For example, Badel wasn't one of the journalists who pushed this story as "Coates has already signed." He's actually pretty non-descript. It's not like he's an abrasive divisive asshole like Peter Fitzsimons, Mike Carlton or Sam Newman. I guess because he's the lead Broncos reporter you guys fixate on him more.

As someone who's been parsing all these stories for some time, I haven't found his editorial filler much less reliable than any other sporting press release monkeys.

No, I'm just saying Badel in no way stands out from other journalists as being particularly sloppy. For example, Badel wasn't one of the journalists who pushed this story as "Coates has already signed." He's actually pretty non-descript. It's not like he's an abrasive divisive asshole like Peter Fitzsimons, Mike Carlton or Sam Newman. I guess because he's the lead Broncos reporter you guys fixate on him more.
Wow, we are really comparing different shades of shit if the defense for Badel is he isn't one of those guys.

Here's the thing about the media: treat them like *****, they'll treat you like a ****. Not a clever move. But you might be right, our position on the ladder doesn't suggest we're good at clever moves.

If you've been paying attention, you might notice the press is much nicer to Wayne Bennett these days since he's been more candid. The shut up shop routine only works while you're winning.

Donuts is a master of this art.

Bennett's best mates are Ricketts and Dick. Friday night at Souths Magpies Hall of Fame night Ricketts and Bennett were chatting away like long lost friends.

The media aren't nicer to him now than Brisbane media was, he had them all on speed dial to write what he wanted.

He even banned Rickketts for two years and he still loved him!

Wow, we are really comparing different shades of shit if the defense for Badel is he isn't one of those guys.
Exactly. Badel barely rates a mention on the shit scale of journalism. He's just a bloke Chris Jones can rely on to punch out a bunch of stories on the Broncos every day, without having to worry about being sued. He's not employed for his turn of phrase or cutting edge investigative reporting. He's an inch filler, like I say the bread and butter that keeps a newspaper running.

If you want to single out a shit reporter, pick on me. I'm the worst there is. I even tell you not to believe anything I write.

If you want to single out a shit reporter, pick on me. I'm the worst there is. I even tell you not to believe anything I write.
I like your work usually, both in the sense of making information available to us as well as being able to turn a phrase or two. There's a difference there though - you provide mostly attributed quotes with a few pithy lines thrown in, presumably out of passion for the team and love for the art, while Badel spins shit for a living and flat out makes things up in a way that none of us would ever stoop to. As Pope Octavius XII said back on that frosty October morning in 1912 - "You might be a shit reporter but you're our shit reporter. He's just a ****."

Exactly. Badel barely rates a mention on the shit scale of journalism. He's just a bloke Chris Jones can rely on to punch out a bunch of stories on the Broncos every day, without having to worry about being sued. He's not employed for his turn of phrase or cutting edge investigative reporting. He's an inch filler, like I say the bread and butter that keeps a newspaper running.

I love your work man, sarcasm, jokes and all. It's sure as shit better than trying to filter through the BS news sites myself and there's a clean line drawn between quotes and opinion.

FTR I agree Badel isn't particularly bad, RL journalism on a whole is gutter stuff where coaches and player managers set the stories and players have had the personality coached out of them so it's a bunch of cliche shit and a metric ton of lies.

As a fan, my grind is the biased BS. Where are the journos calling out the Roosters significantly overpowered salary caps? The referring standards, the 6 again shenanigans, Vlandys destroying the product. The state of RL journalism is just New Idea with RL players instead of Hollywood celebs.

I love your work man, sarcasm, jokes and all. It's sure as shit better than trying to filter through the BS news sites myself and there's a clean line drawn between quotes and opinion.

FTR I agree Badel isn't particularly bad, RL journalism on a whole is gutter stuff where coaches and player managers set the stories and players have had the personality coached out of them so it's a bunch of cliche shit and a metric ton of lies.

As a fan, my grind is the biased BS. Where are the journos calling out the Roosters significantly overpowered salary caps? The referring standards, the 6 again shenanigans, Vlandys destroying the product. The state of RL journalism is just New Idea with RL players instead of Hollywood celebs.

Thanks for the encouragement. What I'm kind of trying to say is even though the half arsed cobbled together shit I serve up here trying not to breach any copyright laws isn't really what I'd call "journalism" it's actually all most trade journalists do.

They get some quotes from the wire or a reporter in the field and colour in between the dots with filler. The main difference between me and them is I don't put any effort in to pretend otherwise, and I don't answer to anyone for shoving in irresponsible opinions. But they're being paid. I'm not.

Occasionally guys like Badel get commisioned to do a longer piece and have to use their brains a bit. The three part series he did for the Mail "Broken Broncos" was a bit more effort than relaying the latest gossip and speculation. If you had only a passing curiosity in the Broncos and hadn't been keeping up with the day to day it's not a bad primer into the recent downfall, albeit coloured with Badel's slant, whatever you think of that. He's been frontline throughout so his take is as good as anywhere to start. Just like Gordon Tallis would give you another angle. He's a decent communicator, but he's no Roy Masters, let alone a Peter Roebuck or Andy Zaltzman.

I'm honestly fucked where we are with this story - it keeps getting retrospectively edited - but here's the latest version. Notable is they're using the word "will" rather than "might."

ScreenScreenshot 2021 05 06 at 13 00 43 Coates gone Is this the hardest pill to swallow

Coates:

“It feels good to be wanted by clubs. I am young and still finding my feet, I just want to play consistent footy for the Broncos. I am here for this year, I have the mentors here to help me learn, so each day I come to training with an open mindset.”

“I am just focused on playing good footy. Obviously it does appeal to me playing for Melbourne, but with every NRL club there is a great coach behind a team. There’s no bad coaches in the NRL, obviously Melbourne appeals to me but there are 15 other clubs and they have appeal as well.”

“It was tough, seeing Macca leave, he played a big part with me at the club. He helped me out in my first year of footy. He was the first person to come to me when I started at the club and he made a good bond with me and Tommy. We stayed at Macca’s place for a while and he helped us out. It’s disheartening to see Tom go to the Cowboys but that’s football."

“It’s a bit difficult. I’m only new and 20 years and learning my craft. I’m leaving it to my manager. My main goal is to play consistent football and playing for the Broncos this year. Tom knows within himself what decision was right for him, he is living his life and I’m living mine."

Matt Tripp:

“Xavier is one of several guys we are looking at given that we are going to lose Josh Addo-Carr."

“I wouldn’t say Xavier is the only guy we are chasing when we are talking outside backs, there are a number of guys we are looking at, but Xavier would certainly be welcome at the Storm if he chose to leave the Broncos. I don’t know if he is going to leave the Broncos or not. There are four or five clubs chasing him, but if was to come to Melbourne, he would solve a few of our problems with us losing Josh."

“He is a very talented young guy, no doubt about that. He seems to be a quality person as well which would bode well for any club that gets him. He is contracted to the Broncos at the moment but hopefully we can get him.”

McHunt

Active Now

• Tim K
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • Fozz
  • Waynesaurus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • Stix
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Morkel
  • broncs30
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.