OFFICIAL Xavier Coates Leaves Broncos

@BooKhaki and @Huge this has gone well off topic. Leave it here or take it to PM.
Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

You make a some valid points and note that before his decision he was getting hate comments and now they have exploded but how many of you know of the death threats since the Darwin game. My son is good mates with Xavier and the death threats have really shaken him. People are saying his attitude was not up to scratch on Saturday night but how many of you have been bombarded with death threats not sure if some idiot may pull a knife on you???
Death threats aren’t ok. But please pass on the message we don’t want no Turncoates.

This is hilarious. I'm sure some of you are more immature than i am. Difference is, i'm doing everything tongue in cheek, some of you lot are deadly serious.
I think people are missing the bigger picture in either their disappointment or elation on every new signing to or from a club.
Every time a player leaves one club for another, it does 3 things.
It diminishes the player's brand to the old club, reduces the club's brand and diminishes the tribal support of clubs.
Now please don't misunderstand me. I'm not having a go at Coates for leaving or for that matter the broncos for chasing Reynolds, or even Melbourne for signing Coates.
That's just the way the system works. BUT that is the problem.
There is no advantage for keeping players in the long term as their values inevitably clash with the static amount that is the salary cap.
Clubs are forever recycling players through contracts.
What is the answer? Mine is not a perfect one but perhaps it may assist in this.
Rather than the cap as it stands, simply bring in an over-arching entity and have all players contracted to that.
Only players contracted to the NRL can play within the comp and potential players must place themselves within a draft.
Clubs then must compete to sign those players in an auction. This money isn't paid to the player but to the NRL for the services of the player , and that value is added to pool that pays players'actual salaries (along with an agreed upon percentage of TV rights and sponsorship of the NRL) as based on an agreement between the RLPA association and the NRL.
A set cap can be put on the spend of each club but players should be able earn outside this and as long as that player remains at the club his initial value at auction counts.
There would of course be discounts to values for players beyond a certain age.
The advantages would be that every player would be available to every club. Their values would be set in stone at the initial point of sale but clubs would be under no restriction to pay that as a steadfast fee but could increase it for the player's benefit to ensure loyalty. Every players contract could end at the same time and be bargained together. Older players and fringe players are protected for their income to a point (until they no longer represent value to a club)
Juniors and others outside of the NRL could be placed into a tier 2 draft system with ISC and NSW cup teams competing for their services that are then available to purchase at auction at completion of a set number of games or age.
All bids for players are disclosed.

I think people are missing the bigger picture in either their disappointment or elation on every new signing to or from a club.
Every time a player leaves one club for another, it does 3 things.
It diminishes the player's brand to the old club, reduces the club's brand and diminishes the tribal support of clubs.
Now please don't misunderstand me. I'm not having a go at Coates for leaving or for that matter the broncos for chasing Reynolds, or even Melbourne for signing Coates.
That's just the way the system works. BUT that is the problem.
There is no advantage for keeping players in the long term as their values inevitably clash with the static amount that is the salary cap.
Clubs are forever recycling players through contracts.
What is the answer? Mine is not a perfect one but perhaps it may assist in this.
Rather than the cap as it stands, simply bring in an over-arching entity and have all players contracted to that.
Only players contracted to the NRL can play within the comp and potential players must place themselves within a draft.
Clubs then must compete to sign those players in an auction. This money isn't paid to the player but to the NRL for the services of the player , and that value is added to pool that pays players'actual salaries (along with an agreed upon percentage of TV rights and sponsorship of the NRL) as based on an agreement between the RLPA association and the NRL.
A set cap can be put on the spend of each club but players should be able earn outside this and as long as that player remains at the club his initial value at auction counts.
There would of course be discounts to values for players beyond a certain age.
The advantages would be that every player would be available to every club. Their values would be set in stone at the initial point of sale but clubs would be under no restriction to pay that as a steadfast fee but could increase it for the player's benefit to ensure loyalty. Every players contract could end at the same time and be bargained together. Older players and fringe players are protected for their income to a point (until they no longer represent value to a club)
Juniors and others outside of the NRL could be placed into a tier 2 draft system with ISC and NSW cup teams competing for their services that are then available to purchase at auction at completion of a set number of games or age.
All bids for players are disclosed.
Is the salaries the club pay the player capped? Are the clubs able to pay unlimited fees to ensure loyalty?

Bellamy:

“Most people watch Xavier play and realise what a talent he is. He’s so big and fast and he’s just a real footy player. The thing I was even more impressed with is how good a person he is. I’ve met him a couple of times and sat down and had a chat with him. I don’t think I’ve ever met a player I’ve been more impressed with in that situation."

“He’s so humble, down to earth but honest at the same time. After I first spoke to him I thought: this guy’s ideal for us. Not only is he a great footy player but a great person as well and those are the sort of people we want at our club.”

McHunt

Is the salaries the club pay the player capped? Are the clubs able to pay unlimited fees to ensure loyalty?
The club could and would pay whatever they like but it wouldnt result in a bidding war as the club is paying the NRL to use the player and the NRL takes the highest bid regardless of what the player is paid.
It does mean the player does not necessarily get to choose their club the way it is now but isn't that the point of the cap? To stop the accumulation of talent by them CHOOSING to go to one rich club. The club itself can fight off outsidecgroups like rugby clubs. Indeed the league itself could play important players whatever necessary and it wouldn't distort competition between clubs.

Now that the dust has settled, and everyone is calming down, I look forward to Xavier scoring 6 tries against the Sea Eagles this Friday night. Let's hope for the rest of the season he shows us why the reigning premiers valued him at $500k a season.

Now that the dust has settled, and everyone is calming down, I look forward to Xavier scoring 6 tries against the Sea Eagles this Friday night. Let's hope for the rest of the season he shows us why the reigning premiers valued him at $500k a season.
He could only score one try against trash like the Cowboys what makes you think he could ever score 6 tries against anyone?

I look forward to team lists this afternoon and his name not being there.

The club could and would pay whatever they like but it wouldnt result in a bidding war as the club is paying the NRL to use the player and the NRL takes the highest bid regardless of what the player is paid.
It does mean the player does not necessarily get to choose their club the way it is now but isn't that the point of the cap? To stop the accumulation of talent by them CHOOSING to go to one rich club. The club itself can fight off outsidecgroups like rugby clubs. Indeed the league itself could play important players whatever necessary and it wouldn't distort competition between clubs.
If the player can’t choose who he plays for you run into the issue of it being a restriction of trade.

He could only score one try against trash like the Cowboys what makes you think he could ever score 6 tries against anyone?

I look forward to team lists this afternoon and his name not being there.
If the Storm want him he must be pretty good. It’s normally us wanting to steal all their players, coach and CEO.

If the player can’t choose who he plays for you run into the issue of it being a restriction of trade.
The Nrl would be the employer. Surely that would be allowed. Salaries would be paid by the NRL, not the club (although clubs could pay whatever after a base salary).
We have NRL employees now, and the contract would be independent of club association.
Players could still choose not to play for a club or contract themselves outside the NRL.

He could become the next Superstar down there in that system, cant say i blame him....id much rather be coached by Bellamy than Walters.....

He could become the next Superstar down there in that system, cant say i blame him....id much rather be coached by Bellamy than Walters.....
Well he better be ready to work for it.

This is the first high calibre recruit that storm have gone for since Crocker back in the day (I'm surprised more isn't made of that) so storm and Coates are taking a bit if a gamble.

Usually storm grab the guys that are looking for an opportunity and will do anything to get it or young guys they've had in the system and they know.

They won't know too much about Coates after having one coffee with him.... what kind of trainer is he?? How smart a footy player is he?? How dedicated is he??

Coates also won't be able to just turn up, do a couple sessions and think he'll instantly be a world beater. Storm style football is all about fitness and then footy smarts under fatigue... if he cant keep up during preseason he may get chewed up and spat out.

I doubt they will do that, because they've gone to the effort of poaching him and are paying him some serious money, but what if he's not actually a 'storm player'??

Don’t want to see Coates anywhere near our team any more. He can rot in Qld cup, unless there is a comparable swap from Melbourne than no early release, just QLD cup

The bloke Deadset looked abused, neglected and traumatized after scoring, we don’t need that negative attitude around the team, will definitely be a statement from the club and Kevvie if he’s dropped for good!

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.