Your 2013 team.

I think a lot of our problems this year can be put down to a coaching issue. I don't feel like we play to our strengths. We play such a boring style that gives us no chance of scoring. We need to look to attack more. We just seem to run one out too much. No players in motion at all.

I remember posting about this a while ago, and wondered what they did at training. One interesting reply (probably you) said the moves at training look great but then we don't do them, or do them poorly, during a game.

If there's any truth to that then it seems like a serious coaching issue. Other posts have asked if Hook ever watches (and learns) from game videos. It's had me wondering.

It would seem obvious to me that a good coach bases his game plans around the opposition's strengths and weaknesses. That would mean to me at least, a number of creative set-plays to exploit a weakness, or maybe create one first, then exploit it.

We certainly have pulled off some ripper moves, and scored great tries this season, but only randomly it seems given how we went backwards. That baffled me constantly all season. Why not consistently? Why the poor executions? It baffled me because as I have said before, we had a great roster this year. Talent everywhere. Is it coaching?

The only thing that is constant in all this is, as Coxy noted above, no Lockyer, and certainly no replacement, NOT just for his position, but the other critical roles he had: organization and leadership.

Maybe that is why Wallace was so on-off this year, maybe he took all that responsibility onto his shoulders and just couldn't handle the demands, and Norman certainly didn't help very much.

We might buy a good 5/8, or Norman might even see the light, but who is going to lead this team and keep it together? Can't buy that, and for mine, that's the (missing) secret ingredient.

I can guarantee if we get a decent 5/8 everything will be fine.

If Sheens get sacked get him as attacking coach lol. Does Allan Langer even do anything as assistant coach besides run the water?

I'm not serious about Sheens BTW but a real coach as an assistant would be much better for our team.

ITS SIMPLE (WE KILL THE BATMAN)

FB: norman > hoffman
5/8: wallace > norman
HALF: hunt > wallace.

just do it griffin

norman has serious potential. he may have been shit at playing in the 6 this year but he created so many busts out of absolutely nothing.. when there was no support in sight (ie defense had no questions about what to do).

Last edited:
The thing is Wallace does a great job getting us up the field, we don't know all that much on how Hunt would go doing that. What we do know is Wallace is very average in the attacking 30 and Hunt is much more creative so we should just let him direct the attack once we're in the red zone. I'd still be naming Wal at 7, I picture the Broncos just naming there more lethal/creative player at 6 haha.

1.Kahu
2.Maranta
3.Hodges
4.Reed
5.Copley
6.Sezer
7.Hunt
8.Hannant
9.McCullough
10.McGuire
11.Thaiday
12.Glenn
13.Parker

14.Gillett
15.Hala
16.J.Wallace
17.Dodds

1.Kahu
2.Maranta
3.Hodges
4.Reed
5.Copley
6.Sezer
7.Hunt
8.Hannant
9.McCullough
10.McGuire
11.Thaiday
12.Glenn
13.Parker

14.Gillett
15.Hala
16.J.Wallace
17.Dodds

With Sezar at 6 do you know something we dont? or are you just hoping like I am

I don't know why people keep talking about us signing Johnson for next season. he is under contract FFS. and if he is the sort of player that wants a release because he is dropped for 1 game then he is not the sort of player we need anyway

I don't know why people keep talking about us signing Johnson for next season. he is under contract FFS. and if he is the sort of player that wants a release because he is dropped for 1 game then he is not the sort of player we need anyway

That's a non-issue - No one at the broncos gets dropped... unless they are 5 minutes late to training

That's a non-issue - No one at the broncos gets dropped... unless they are 5 minutes late to training

dropping a player only works if you have a player that can do a better job ... we didn't for the most part this year

Tunza did more in his stints at 5/8 then Norman has done ever in 1st grade

Calling it now. Norman will be our 5/8th next year.

I am going to put a few noses out of joint with my thoughts but for next year. I really don't see much value in Thaiday. I like Wallace at hooker. Hunt and Norman 1/2 and 5/8 respectively. Reed at Lock. hannant and m'Guire at prop. love Parker where he is (Thaiday in 2nd row too although don't care if he's in the team) maranta and Copley 2 and 5...Hodges where he is,the Hoff at full back,select your own centre partner for hodgo...Glenn Gillett hala Dodds rotating roles....for me Wallace has good hands,great defence,enough speed for hooker and like Cameron Smith has experience enough to help setup some good moves...Yow Yeh naturally included..(parker would be good either at lock or 2nd row)he is underrated

I am going to put a few noses out of joint with my thoughts but for next year. I really don't see much value in Thaiday. I like Wallace at hooker. Hunt and Norman 1/2 and 5/8 respectively. Reed at Lock. hannant and m'Guire at prop. love Parker where he is (Thaiday in 2nd row too although don't care if he's in the team) maranta and Copley 2 and 5...Hodges where he is,the Hoff at full back,select your own centre partner for hodgo...Glenn Gillett hala Dodds rotating roles....for me Wallace has good hands,great defence,enough speed for hooker and like Cameron Smith has experience enough to help setup some good moves...Yow Yeh naturally included..(parker would be good either at lock or 2nd row)he is underrated

Wallace's biggest issue is how long he takes to make decisions. At hooker this will get exposed more than anywhere else. All great hookers are great thinkers but are more importantly very quick thinkers and Wallace is hardly a great thinker and he is slow as a wet week at making decisions.

Thaiday fully fit is a damaging runner. But his contribution has been hampered by injury and almost complete lack of support play. He should stay where he is.

Parker is for mine now at an stage where he is playing like a prop and IMO he should be a starting prop with Hannant. As the trend to mobile back rowers increases, Parker in my book is hardly mobile by those standards.

Wallace and Norman, well, I'd stick with them. The can both act as 1st receivers. Hopefully, Norman will grow his League !Q in the off seson. I reckon 2013 will be Macca's year. I can see him progressing to be a very good player in his position.

Reed at lock? He would probably go alright there but mass, critical positional changes to this team after a reasonable 1st post-Lockyer season would be foolish IMO. Hoffman should bulk up and start getting ready to smash Inglis next year.

.... and the magic ingredient: real co-ordinated leadership on the field by a number of key players. The gap left by Lockyer must must must be effectively filled if we are to be any chance

Last edited:
Whitchurch is in for a big 2013 I think. I can see him excelling in the bench back rower role. Plenty of size and speed and can put on a big hit very effectively.

Active Now

• Emanon
  • Harry Sack
  • broncos4life
  • cento
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Browny
  • Yellowfella
  • Santa
  • Scorchie
  • Cavalo
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Justwin
  • bb_gun
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.