Your Broncos greatest ever XVII

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
[MENTION=8423]Sproj[/MENTION] rolled out his greatest XVII in another thread, I figured it's a topic deserving of its own discussion. So who makes your greatest ever Broncos XVII?

For me...

1. Lockyer
2. De Vere
3. Renouf
4. Hodges
5. Sailor
6. Walters
7. Langer
8. Webcke
9. Walters
Civoniceva
11. Tallis
Thorn
13. Parker

14. Lazarus
15. Gee
16. Carroll
Thaiday

There's a few players that carved up in the 90's that are hard to leave out, but I'm pretty happy with that side.

You can't not have Berrigan in there, he was the best utility of all time.

mine again:

1. Lockyer
2. JYY
3. Renouf
4. Hodges
5. Sailor
6. Walters
7. Langer
8. Webcke
9. Walters
10. Lazarus
11. Tallis
12. Thorn
13. Parker

14. Berrigan
15. Civoniceva
16. Carroll
17. Thaiday

Too good for the team: Minto

honourable mentions: De Vere, Miles, Tuqiri, Tate, Boyd, Gillett, Cann, Gee, D.Smith, Folau, Priddis (actually he'd go very close to 9 over Walters in my book but that would probably cause an uproar), anyone else I've completely forgotten about.

1. Darius Boyd
2. Wendell Sailor
3. Steve Renouf
4. Justin Hodges
5. Michael Hancock
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Allan Langer
8. Shane Webcke
9. Luke Priddis
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Gorden Tallis
12. Brad Thorn
13. Corey Parker

14. Glen Lazarus
15. Tonie Carroll
16. Sam Thaiday
17. Kevin Walters

1. Karmichael Hunt.
2. Michael Hancock.
3. Steve Renouf.
4. Justin Hodges.
5. JYY.
6. Darren Lockyer.
7. Allan Langer.
8. Shane Webcke.
9. Kerrod Walters.
10. Petero Civoneceva.
11. Gorden Tallis.
12. Brad Thorn.
13. Corey Parker.

14. Glenn Lazarus.
15. Andrew Gee.
16. Shaun Berrigan.
17. Darren Smith.

Last edited:
No maranta? He was top try scorer once.

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Michael Hancock
3. Steve Renouf
4. Justin Hodges
5. Willie Carne
6. Kevin Walters
7. Allan Langer
8. Glenn Lazarus
9. Kerrod Walters
10. Shane Webcke
11. Gorden Tallis
12. Brad Thorn
13. Corey Parker

14. Shaun Berrigan
15. Petero Civoniceva
16. Andrew Gee
17. Darren Smith

1. Lockyer
2. Sailor
3. Renouf
4. Hodges
5. Hancock
6. Walters
7. Langer
8. Webcke
9. Walters
10. Civoniceva
11. Tallis
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Thorn
15. Lazarus
16. Carroll
17. Berrigan

1. Lockyer
2. Sailor
3. Hodges
4. Renouf
5. Hancock
6. Walters
7. Langer
8. Webcke
9. Berrigan
10. Civo
11. Thorn
12. Tallis
13. Carroll

14. Parker
15. Lazarus
16. Smith
17. Insert one of many deserving forwards

1. Lockyer
2. Sailor
3. Renouf
4. Hodges (hard to split him and Miles)
5. JYY (did enough to show he was a class above Hancock)
6. Lewis (didn't do much for us but arguably the GOAT)
7. Langer
8. Webke
9. Walters (by default. Don't think we've had a great hooker)
10. Lazarus
11. Tallis
12. Thorn
13. Parker
14. Civo
15. Carroll
16. Smith
17. Berrigan

If we do this again in a couple of years then Gillette might make the team.

Really surprised at people putting Yow Yeh in their teams. He was destined to be a star, there is no doubt about it, but his career was cut way too short for him to feature in our all time greatest team IMO. And if I have to include Berrigan I'd probably have him at hooker over Kerrod Walters, hard to leave out either of them though.

Really surprised at people putting Yow Yeh in their teams. He was destined to be a star, there is no doubt about it, but his career was cut way too short for him to feature in our all time greatest team IMO. And if I have to include Berrigan I'd probably have him at hooker over Kerrod Walters, hard to leave out either of them though.
I understand what you are saying but Hancock annoyed the crap out of me with his cross field running so for me it was between JYY and Folau. I don't think there was anything between them ability wise but Izzy walked away from rugby league greatness while JYY had it stolen by cruel fate. I guess I went with my heart in the end.

Tuqiri was better than Hancock anyway but JYY would have been a legend if not having it all taken away from him which was completely out of his control.

Last edited:
Tuqiri was better than Hancock anyway

not in a Broncos jersey he wasn't.

I understand it's a "your team" thing which means people can put who they like and that's totally ok, but statements like the aforementioned just aren't true. You probably don't remember much of the 90's if that is your opinion.

Last edited:
not in a Broncos jersey he wasn't.

I understand it's a "your team" thing which means people can put who they like and that's totally ok, but statements like the aforementioned just aren't true. You probably don't remember much of the 90's if that is your opinion.

I do. Hancock was very good but couldn't do the things Tuqiri could. Tuqiri was the prototype Fijian winger everyone craves these days. You are more than welcome to your opinion though as mentioned.

Hancock won 5 premierships, scored the third most amount of tries in our clubs history and is 3rd on the list of overall apps. That's a lot of things Tuqiri couldn't do.

Edit: I'm dropping this, you're welcome to the last word and opinion as it's your side - sorry Sproj. :)

Last edited:
Han**** won 5 premierships, scored the third most amount of tries in our clubs history and is 3rd on the list of overall apps. That's a lot of things Tuqiri couldn't do.

Edit: I'm dropping this, you're welcome to the last word and opinion as it's your side - sorry Sproj. :)

Yeah as we both agree, its a matter of opinion. Regardless, JYY would have been better than both had he not had it all taken away from him so he is my pick anyway. :)

I understand what you are saying but Hancock annoyed the crap out of me with his cross field running so for me it was between JYY and Folau. I don't think there was anything between them ability wise but Izzy walked away from rugby league greatness while JYY had it stolen by cruel fate. I guess I went with my heart in the end.

No love for De Vere?

No love for De Vere?
Remembering the great players from the past is actually a fun way to spend the off season. You are right. De vere was really good for us. Tough player who never let us down.

The team I picked was who I thought were the best players to have played for us not necessarily the ones who contributed the most to our club. If that was my criteria I would have put in Kevvie Walters and De vere.

Unread

Active Now

• Dash
  • LittleDavey
  • Fitzy
  • westy316
  • GCBRONCO
  • Alec
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Waynesaurus
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • DMZ
  • Behold
  • Fatboy
  • bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncosAlways
  • Culhwch
  • Browny
  • Stix
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.