Your Fullback after 5 rounds?

ningnangnong said:
subsbligh said:
Good defensive fullback???

If there's one thing you can't question about Corey Norman, it's his defence.

I agree 100% although some of the crap LYN is spinning in incredible!! Her rating of Hoffman's game on Friday saying he was quiet yet she goes on to praise the hell out of Norman's contribution is astounding.. A bit to biased IMO but we all do it at times.

Kemp. IMO, he's the only real option, much as I like Norman.

I don't think Hoffman is a full back. He seems to have real problems positioning himself in defence. And I think neither Hoffman or Norman attack the defensive line on kick returns or try to set up a runner. They seem to stop and dance about.

Norman is a real prospect - later, or a 5/8 down the track. Hoffman is imo a winger.

:lol: Hoffman is as much a winger as Hunt was.

Let's keep Norman there, he's had to play behind a s**t team for awhile now. Let him keep his spot at least until next week.

Bucking Beads said:
ningnangnong said:
subsbligh said:

I agree 100% although some of the crap LYN is spinning in incredible!! Her rating of Hoffman's game on Friday saying he was quiet yet she goes on to praise the hell out of Norman's contribution is astounding.. A bit to biased IMO but we all do it at times.
Hoffman was quiet... So was Norman which I also stated.

Ehh call me bias if you want but it's not. I just think if we stick with Norman he could turn out great. He has showed us great potential and why would you want to get rid of one of your best defensive players when you are all whinging about our defense at the moment?

Ok guys, I apologize for showing some loyalty to our players. Happy? [icon_wink

lyn said:
Bucking Beads said:
ningnangnong said:
subsbligh said:

Ehh call me bias if you want but it's not. I just think if we stick with Norman he could turn out great. He has showed us great potential and why would you want to get rid of one of your best defensive players when you are all whinging about our defense at the moment?

Hoffman scored a bloody good try IMO he also looked pretty good with the ball in hand. I was happy with his game considering he was playing out of position. I don't want Norman dropped at all but there is more to fullback than being defensive. Norman needs to make more yards off kick returns and back himself more in attack IMO. He does look like he could be a special player.

Bucking Beads said:
lyn said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":tuqjog38]
ningnangnong said:
subsbligh said:

Hoffman scored a bloody good try IMO he also looked pretty good with the ball in hand. I was happy with his game considering he was playing out of position. I don't want Norman dropped at all but there is more to fullback than being defensive. Norman needs to make more yards off kick returns and back himself more in attack IMO. He does look like he could be a special player.[/quote:tuqjog38]

Yea that was a damn good try from Hoffman. Which was set up by Norman in a second man play I might add.. icon_thumbs_u Hoffman has always looked good with the ball in hand. That is his best asset.

Read my post again. You are telling me things that I have already stated.

subsbligh said:
lyn said:
Big_Dave said:
lyn said:
Like I have said numerous times, I am strongly against dropping Norman.

His defence is amasing. I have lost count of how many tries he has saved this year just after 5 rounds. Hoffman's defence is shocking and Beale's isn't that flash either. I would go far as saying he is the best defensive fullback so far this year.

He has a passing and kicking game which is a lot better than Hoffman's and Beale's. Even though we haven't seen as much of it as we would like to I think he will start to get more involved once the team settles down and he gets a bit of experience with the players around him, particularly Locky and Wallace. Not to forget this is his first season playing fullback and the fact that it's his debut season makes that a lot harder too.

He hasn't done anything bad enough to get dropped. He just needs to get a bit more involved and back up our players like Setu, Te'o and Gillett who can offload at will.

I don't think many will agree with me but I am happy to stick it out and give Norman the rest of the year to prove himself. Once he settles in to first grade, settles into fullback and our key players are all back from injury I think we will start seeing him get a lot more involved.

Think about it. It took Hunt a few years until he was able to do the second man plays and Norman has showed he can already do it(being a 5/8 though is a major help). He has made a few wrong choices in the second man plays but it will improve with experience. It's not as if hes chucking cut out balls into the stands like Slater. :p
His defence is top notch which is really rare with fullbacks these days. It's a breath of fresh air after having Hunt at fullback who was arguably one of the worst defensive fullbacks. People are taking this for granted IMO.

Is that you Corey?

That depends, Hoffman.

Given you've got Corey as your avatar I'm guessing you might be a bit bias.

He has been crap and as an 18 year old needs to know more than ever that he needs to put more in and his spot is not assured by any stretch

How has he been crap? There has been countless times he has done some awesome try saving tackles when we are on our own line. Defense wise as Lyn said he is the best in the team right now.

He has been Very Solid for us when the rest of the team have struggled. Actually Norman,Gillet,Glenn and Macca have done nothing but give us everything they could.

Big Pete said:
:lol: Hoffman is as much a winger as Hunt was.

Let's keep Norman there, he's had to play behind a s**t team for awhile now. Let him keep his spot at least until next week.

The team is not shite. It's a time where we're exploring. Judgements like that are irrelevant.

Norman is a good full back. Hoffman is a good fullback. Kemp is a better FB. He also has the experience we need at the back while we are re-building.

Isn't Norman basically a 5/8 forced to play FB anyway?

Whatever, any of those 3 will do for now.

lyn said:
Big_Dave said:
lyn said:

His defence is amasing. I have lost count of how many tries he has saved this year just after 5 rounds. Hoffman's defence is shocking and Beale's isn't that flash either. I would go far as saying he is the best defensive fullback so far this year.

He has a passing and kicking game which is a lot better than Hoffman's and Beale's. Even though we haven't seen as much of it as we would like to I think he will start to get more involved once the team settles down and he gets a bit of experience with the players around him, particularly Locky and Wallace. Not to forget this is his first season playing fullback and the fact that it's his debut season makes that a lot harder too.

He hasn't done anything bad enough to get dropped. He just needs to get a bit more involved and back up our players like Setu, Te'o and Gillett who can offload at will.

I don't think many will agree with me but I am happy to stick it out and give Norman the rest of the year to prove himself. Once he settles in to first grade, settles into fullback and our key players are all back from injury I think we will start seeing him get a lot more involved.

Think about it. It took Hunt a few years until he was able to do the second man plays and Norman has showed he can already do it(being a 5/8 though is a major help). He has made a few wrong choices in the second man plays but it will improve with experience. It's not as if hes chucking cut out balls into the stands like Slater. :p
His defence is top notch which is really rare with fullbacks these days. It's a breath of fresh air after having Hunt at fullback who was arguably one of the worst defensive fullbacks. People are taking this for granted IMO.

Is that you Corey?

That depends, Hoffman.

Hoffman defense is shocking?
So have you seen with your own eyes Hoffman defense playing fullback? Name me these occasions where Hoffman defense has been shocking playing fullback. You can’t because you are just spinning dog shyt.
And now you’re saying Norman has better passing and kicking game than Hoffman. How did you come to that conclusion? Have you watched all the games Hoffman has played at fullback and compared the two kicking and passing games?
I have watched Norman played quite a lot in the under 20s, and have followed Hoffman for the Dolphins. Norman will never make it as a first grade fullback, he has too many errors in his game, he does not show enough urgency and lacks a running game. He could turn out to be a solid 5/8th, but he still doesn’t have a running game. The great 5/8ths in the game all excelled at taking the line on, the likes of Fitler, Daley, Lockyer, and even Benji now. The biggest issue I have with Norman is that he plays everything in slow motion. He is afraid to run the ball with any decent pace. He is not quick off the mark, which is vital when playing fullback. The ability to acerbate though a gap. Hunt may have been one of the slowest fullback in the NRL last year, however he was still pretty quick off the mark and was never afraid to take the line on at full pace.

All I can say to this conversation is that I am glad some of you guys aren't the coach.....And really, I hope none of you coach junior league either.
We have a young team that needs to develop confidence that they can do the job. People jumping down them when they have a couple of bad games while they are developing will not help.
Yes, Corey was a 5/8, but at the start or preseason, Ivan started talking to him about the move to either centre or fullback. He is only 18 so he can still develop into a lot of different backline positions.
How many of you got on this forum and bagged the move of Lockyer from FB to 5/8?
I am all for CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM of players, but let's remember that players can only become great if they are given time.
As supporters of the team, we need to make sure we are backing them as a team. GOOD or BAD, they are our team.
And in case anyone is wondering, I am not one of the players, I am but a humble supporter and junior rugby league coach.

Mattycat said:
All I can say to this conversation is that I am glad some of you guys aren't the coach.....And really, I hope none of you coach junior league either.
We have a young team that needs to develop confidence that they can do the job. People jumping down them when they have a couple of bad games while they are developing will not help.
Yes, Corey was a 5/8, but at the start or preseason, Ivan started talking to him about the move to either centre or fullback. He is only 18 so he can still develop into a lot of different backline positions.
How many of you got on this forum and bagged the move of Lockyer from FB to 5/8?
I am all for CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM of players, but let's remember that players can only become great if they are given time.
As supporters of the team, we need to make sure we are backing them as a team. GOOD or BAD, they are our team.
And in case anyone is wondering, I am not one of the players, I am but a humble supporter and junior rugby league coach.

You make a valid point.

As I see it the team is evolving in specific ways largely because of injuries to key players, and I think that has actually been good overall for the side. Young players have been asked to step up and there have been a few positional shuffles.

The Dragons game for me at last showed that the big picture is staring to clarify. The commitment and attitude is kicking in, and importantly, key players are showing their positional worth. Glenn and Gillett are key examples.

As for FB, my take is that Norman has done his job, plus he's been given the chance at the top level to get vital experience. Hoffman is also a good FB, although I have misgivings based on last season about his positioning abilities at the back. Still, he too is learning.

My point is that hard choices will obviously have to be made when key players return.

For mine Kemp is our best overall choice for FB - experience for a start is critical, plus his speed, undoubted skills, attitude and love for his team which is why he was average in NZ.

As well, I think we should keep Winterstein and Yow Yeh as our wingers. They excelled last season.

So Kemp is my first choice FB hands down.

Big_Dave said:
lyn said:
[quote="Big_Dave":3s7j4elv]
lyn said:

Is that you Corey?

That depends, Hoffman.

So have you seen with your own eyes Hoffman defense playing fullback? Name me these occasions where Hoffman defense has been shocking playing fullback. You can’t because you are just spinning dog shyt.
And now you’re saying Norman has better passing and kicking game than Hoffman. How did you come to that conclusion? Have you watched all the games Hoffman has played at fullback and compared the two kicking and passing games?
I have watched Norman played quite a lot in the under 20s, and have followed Hoffman for the Dolphins. Norman will never make it as a first grade fullback, he has too many errors in his game, he does not show enough urgency and lacks a running game. He could turn out to be a solid 5/8th, but he still doesn’t have a running game. The great 5/8ths in the game all excelled at taking the line on, the likes of Fitler, Daley, Lockyer, and even Benji now. The biggest issue I have with Norman is that he plays everything in slow motion. He is afraid to run the ball with any decent pace. He is not quick off the mark, which is vital when playing fullback. The ability to acerbate though a gap. Hunt may have been one of the slowest fullback in the NRL last year, however he was still pretty quick off the mark and was never afraid to take the line on at full pace.[/quote:3s7j4elv]

Spot on. As many as I can.

Like I have said numerous times. Norman will improve with time. Chop and changing the fullback positions every month or so isn't going to do any good to anyone. Do you even bother reading my entire post or do you just stop once you find something that you can pick at me about?

Tend to agree with Lyn. I don't see the point in dropping Norman now. Maybe when we're at full strength we'll reevaluate, but no unnecessary changes at the moment IMO.

Could people please explain why Kemp shouldn't be our 1st choice FB.

rnabokov said:
Could people please explain why Kemp shouldn't be our 1st choice FB.

he is out injured and will be for another 4 weeks! [icon_drun

Der ... I know he's out injured. I disagree - he does have ball skills. At least, as many as Folau, Hodges, Hoffman.

He's also faster than anyone, aggressive, attacks the line and doesn't do swan lake, knows how to score a try and defends well.

He also doesn't drop the ball close to his goal line.

I know who I'd want at FB in the last few rounds of the season.

lyn said:
Big_Dave said:
lyn said:
[quote="Big_Dave":3qndprhn]
lyn said:

Is that you Corey?

That depends, Hoffman.

I have watched Norman played quite a lot in the under 20s, and have followed Hoffman for the Dolphins. Norman will never make it as a first grade fullback, he has too many errors in his game, he does not show enough urgency and lacks a running game. He could turn out to be a solid 5/8th, but he still doesn’t have a running game. The great 5/8ths in the game all excelled at taking the line on, the likes of Fitler, Daley, Lockyer, and even Benji now. The biggest issue I have with Norman is that he plays everything in slow motion. He is afraid to run the ball with any decent pace. He is not quick off the mark, which is vital when playing fullback. The ability to acerbate though a gap. Hunt may have been one of the slowest fullback in the NRL last year, however he was still pretty quick off the mark and was never afraid to take the line on at full pace.

Spot on. As many as I can.

Like I have said numerous times. Norman will improve with time. Chop and changing the fullback positions every month or so isn't going to do any good to anyone. Do you even bother reading my entire post or do you just stop once you find something that you can pick at me about?[/quote:3qndprhn]

Good comeback there Lyn. Shows to me you don’t follow football at all. You just favour Norman because you think he is cute. You put down Hoffman based on fairytales just to make Noman sound good.
I am sick of hearing this he’s still young excuse. Hayne was young once. Dugan is still young. There are no excuses. If you can’t cut with the big boys, then you should be dropped and played with the little boys(not Dennis Ferguson style though) until you ready for first grade.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Tim K
  • simplythebest
  • Cavalo
  • johnny plath
  • Manofoneway
  • Gaz
  • Xzei
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • Robboi_321
  • Old Mate
  • ostin86
  • theshed
  • bert_lifts
  • LGH
  • broncoscope
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.