Your Origin II Teams

6. Hunt, 7. Thurston, 14. DCE. I'd prefer a forward off the bench over a utility, but DCE has shown more in Origin (off the bench, he's been garbage in every game he's started) than Morgan.

Maybe the selectors should use the poll on the Courier Mail website to pick Cronks replacement :tongue:

results are:

Ben Hunt ... 41.67% (350 votes)
Michael Morgan (JT to half) ... 35.71 % (300 votes)
DCE ... 22.62% (190 votes)

Maybe the selectors should use the poll on the Courier Mail website to pick Cronks replacement :tongue:

results are:

Ben Hunt ... 41.67% (350 votes)
Michael Morgan (JT to half) ... 35.71 % (300 votes)
DCE ... 22.62% (190 votes)

They should just select the team off courier mail polls haha

Being realistic, it will be a straight swap. DCE for Cronk and the rest of the team will remain unchanged.

People have been acting like babies about the whole "backflip" drama and they need to sort their shit out. It's not that big of a deal for ***** sake and it has led to the NRL reforming the rule anyway. Any Queenslander who wants to boo DCE is an idiot.

Lets get on with it.

Being realistic, it will be a straight swap. DCE for Cronk and the rest of the team will remain unchanged.

People have been acting like babies about the whole "backflip" drama and they need to sort their shit out. It's not that big of a deal for ***** sake and it has led to the NRL reforming the rule anyway. Any Queenslander who wants to boo DCE is an idiot.

Lets get on with it.

I don't give a shit whether he backfliped on the Titans.

But Hunt has been out performing DCE for the last year and a half. That is why he should get the spot

I would pick Hunt because of the Broncos players in the squad.

But Hunt has been out performing DCE for the last year and a half. That is why he should get the spot

No he hasn't. Hunt just looks better because he's able to quite quickly fix those little issues in his game.

For the last year and a half, DCE has been kicking far better than Hunt, and that right there, puts Hunt under DCE at the moment. Hunt has more work to do in his game before he should be considered to be the starting half-back in and Origin match.

While I certainly think DCE is overrated, I don't think Hunt is a good idea.

I'm not talking about who should be there I'm talking about who will be. Unless something drastic happens, Mal will select DCE at half.

Agree with Nashy, we all love Hunt, but realistically he only has a good kicking game once a month, the rest of the time it's well below average. At least with DCE you know you're going to get a very good kicking game.

I'd still personally go with the club combination of Morgan & Thurston, they work well together, I'm a little worried about Hunt/Thurston or Thurston/DCE in terms of cohesion in a short period of time.

Hunt won't need to kick at all.

Agree with Nashy, we all love Hunt, but realistically he only has a good kicking game once a month, the rest of the time it's well below average. At least with DCE you know you're going to get a very good kicking game.

I'd still personally go with the club combination of Morgan & Thurston, they work well together, I'm a little worried about Hunt/Thurston or Thurston/DCE in terms of cohesion in a short period of time.

I think you are forgetting that Morgan can't kick at all. Hunts kicking is miles ahead of Morgans.

It's a no brainer.

Daly Cherry-Evans should have been 14th man, so he'll be promoted and Morgan will retain his spot on the bench.

DCE has been the one shining light in a Manly team that just isn't turning up for one another. His work in the Stewart try was a small taste of what he's been doing and in terms of skill, he's still ahead of Hunt.

Ben has been in better form and has the big play in him. However, he's also still very rough around the edges and his execution at times can be very wonky. In a game as ruthless as Origin, that will be exposed and Queensland cannot afford that.

For mine, he should be the utility, but there's very little separating him and Morgan. Mal made his choice and I'm fine with him sticking with it.

It would be interesting to see how DCE goes when not underdone and behind a decent forward pack.

Hunt doesn't need to kick at all. Smith and Thurston can both kick, and can also both easily slot field goals. On form, there's no way DCE deserves to be there ahead of Hunt, I'm sorry I can't buy that, he might be because of loyalty, but not on form. I'm not speaking with bias, if I had to choose someone who would be more effective alongside Thurston it would be Hunt. I just think he's the better player this year, who cares about last year Hunt has only been getting better each and every week so how he played last year doesn't matter.

What has DCE done this year? Hunt has done far more.

That being said, I hope Mal picks DCE, the less players we give to origin the better. I hope DCE is always ahead of Hunt at the 7, let some other teams supply players, I'm sick of us losing half our team for what seems like a third of a season.

Now all that being said, I think it's better for the team if DCE is 7 and Hunt is 14. Hunt can be a very good impact player and DCE is definitely good enough for the 7 but as shown previously doesn't offer a whole lot off the bench.

Last edited:
Let me say this though...

Losing Cronk is a HUGE blow. I have no doubt his injury caused us to lose the shield last year and I think it may give NSW the mental edge.

This is a real defining moment in DCE's career. If he can help guide Queensland to series win #19, he will be largely forgiven. If he fails to and we see something similar to Hodkinson running right past DCE, he may have lost the fans forever.

At least he gets to train for ten days at halfback, this is why they made the call early.

Now all that being said, I think it's better for the team if DCE is 7 and Hunt is 14. Hunt can be a very good impact player and DCE is definitely good enough for the 7 but as shown previously doesn't offer a whole lot off the bench.

In DCE's last game off the bench he set up a beautiful try for Smith that helped break the game open.

Active Now

• Redux
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • NSW stables
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Johnny92
  • Porthoz
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Accept
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.