08/09 Premier League Thread

ronnyd said:
See Barca fans, this is what happens when you win the el classico 5 zip.

[icon_lol1.

I have been reading we are swapping Eto'o plus 10 million for Ibrahimovic, at first I wasn't keen but after thinking I realise how well with his talent on the ball he will suit the side and the fact he is a legitimate target man something the side has lacked since Kluivert left, he can go MIA in big matches but he has never had the quality of ball he will get from this midfield. Also apparently we have first option on Ribery too but I would prefer Silva. Also heard we are going to swap Yaya who is unhappy with his contract for Maxwell at Inter to fill left back and then Mascherano could be brought in to the defensive midfield void which would be amazing.

Possible team:
GK - Valdes
LB - Maxwell
CB's - Pique/Puyol/Marquez/Milito
RB - Alves
DM - Mascherano/Busquets
CM - Iniesta/Xavi/Keita
LF - Henry/Silva
RF - Messi/Bojan
CF - Ibrahimovic

AWESOME!

Lol Mascherano won't be going. That was just talk from his agent. Rafa Benitez has come out and said there is no chance of him leaving.

Ibrahimovic would be a class signing. I rate him very highly. People say he goes missing, but look at his record in Italy, it's brilliant.

He would add massively to the team.

Yeah I agree he has so much skill and finally gives Barca an option in the air for Alves' crosses. I would LOVE Mascherano to come but only if Toure leaves as I am more than happy with him.

The Gymp said:
Yeah I agree he has so much skill and finally gives Barca an option in the air for Alves' crosses. I would LOVE Mascherano to come but only if Toure leaves as I am more than happy with him.

Toure is class. Apparently he wants his wages to match those of the top players or something?

Anyway, you can keep dreaming about Mascherano, it's not going to happen. [icon_razz1

ningnangnong said:
It's just utterly amazing.

Plus they still want to sign David Villa, Silva and Alonso.

Are they still chasing Ribery as well? There is something about this business that just disgusts me. I hope they fail hardcore just like the last Galacticos era.

Scotty said:
ningnangnong said:

Are they still chasing Ribery as well? There is something about this business that just disgusts me. I hope they fail hardcore just like the last Galacticos era.

It's dodgy, the way they do things.

Here we are all worried that Manchester City and Chelsea were going to ruin things with the amounts they spend, well Real Madrid have just taken it to another level.

There is way too much money in the game IMO.

ningnangnong said:
Scotty said:
ningnangnong said:

It's dodgy, the way they do things.

Here we are all worried that Manchester City and Chelsea were going to ruin things with the amounts they spend, well Real Madrid have just taken it to another level.

There is way too much money in the game IMO.

Not a real big soccer fan, but some of the money that gets thrown around just for one player is ridiculous!

How clubs (even the really super rich clubs with mass sponsors) don't go broke is amazing.

Scotty said:

Well the last Galacticos era wasn't a complete failure, a Champions league title and a La liga in 5 seasons isn't the worst. Real Madrid were in big trouble financially before the Galacticos era, but Florentio Perez's economic model turned them into the richest club in the world which they still are to this day.

Benayoun being linked with Barca.

He'd thrive in that team. Don't think he'll go though.

fenomeno said:
Scotty said:

Well the last Galacticos era wasn't a complete failure, a Champions league title and a La liga in 5 seasons isn't the worst. Real Madrid were in big trouble financially before the Galacticos era, but Florentio Perez's economic model turned them into the richest club in the world which they still are to this day.

Considering the players they had and the money they spent for them I'd say it was somewhat of a failure wasn't there a 3 year period where they failed to win a trophy? Once again Perez is trying to build a team of champions rather than a champion team.

Scotty said:
fenomeno said:
Scotty said:

Considering the players they had and the money they spent for them I'd say it was somewhat of a failure wasn't there a 3 year period where they failed to win a trophy? Once again Perez is trying to build a team of champions rather than a champion team.

The quality of players was only good on the offensive end, it wasn't a great team overall, sure expectations were high but no team can win big trophies consistently these days, no matter which players they have. As far as the money they paid for them, well that didn't really matter because the players paid for themselves due to their image. Real Madrid have been too spoilt in the past, don't have time to build a champion team, a team of champions will do just fine.

fenomeno said:
Scotty said:
fenomeno said:
Scotty said:

The quality of players was only good on the offensive end, it wasn't a great team overall, sure expectations were high but no team can win big trophies consistently these days, no matter which players they have. As far as the money they paid for them, well that didn't really matter because the players paid for themselves due to their image. Real Madrid have been too spoilt in the past, don't have time to build a champion team, a team of champions will do just fine.

Dunno about that dude. Many big clubs win trophies regularly, and most of those clubs have managed to build their teams to success too. Also, if Madrid are buying all of this attacking talent but ignoring the need for a good defence, isn't that just a waste of money? A good defence is crucial to a team being successful.

Fenemeno is right, the way Makelele was treated is a prime example of why in the end the Galactico's was good for a short time but was doomed long term. The uglier/dirtier style players you need in a team didn't fit the model to sell shirts and were not paid what they deserved.

Scotty said:
fenomeno said:
Scotty said:
fenomeno said:
Scotty said:

Dunno about that dude. Many big clubs win trophies regularly, and most of those clubs have managed to build their teams to success too. Also, if Madrid are buying all of this attacking talent but ignoring the need for a good defence, isn't that just a waste of money? A good defence is crucial to a team being successful.

Lets take Real Madrid's 2 years prior to this season as an example, they won the league 2 years in a row but fans thought of both seasons as failures, for Madrid to have a succesful season, they would need to win the CL and if they win La Liga in the same season then thats great, but La Liga by itself 2 years in a row just wasn't good enough. Its all about getting instant results.

You are right, a good defense is very important, and the new season is still a while away, i hope they are able to buy a CB and make the team solid defensively.

Scotty said:
ningnangnong said:

They better leave Ribery alone. He's been on fire for FC this last season and an integral part of Bayern's goal scoring set-up. I'd also chain Podolski to the front gates so he won't be snapped up too (that's if he doesn't leave on his own accord beforehand, but he's never happy anywhere so who knows). We need Franck for the next Champion's League campaign.

In conclusion, I will say that Real shouldn't snap up Ribery unless they plan on actually playing him week in week out. He won't do anything for their aesthetic promotional forays lol.

Edit: I stupidly forgot Podolski has transferred to Cologne. :oops:

David Villa joining Real Madrid for 34m pounds.

Active Now

• Lazza
  • sooticus
  • broncos4life
  • Lurker
  • Organix
  • Spoon
  • Jedhead
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncorob
  • broncsgoat
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.