08/09 Premier League Thread

I hope Hull stay up, they had a real crack this season and have played consistently better football than Middlesborough and Newcastle.

Disgusted with Sunderland today, absolutely disgusted. I hope we stay up but in all honesty we deserve to go down.

Texan billionaire set to buy out Black Cats

Texan billionaire Ellis Short will buy out Sunderland this week - bringing with him a staggering £200m kitty.

It's just the news Sunderland fans want to hear as they go into today's game with Chelsea at the Stadium of Light battling for Premier League survival.

People Sport revealed on March 29 that Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn was expecting major shareholder Ellis Short to buy out the Irish-based Drumaville Consortium, who had thrown the club a lifeline.

And after watching the Black Cats lose at Portsmouth on Monday night, the American businessman saw enough of the fans' passion to go ahead with his buy-out.

A Sunderland source said: "Ellis Short wants to make us one of the top clubs in Europe and he has promised £200m to rebuild the club."

Chance Quinn will stay on as Sunderland chairman, but current manager Ricky Sbragia will be given the chance to return to his first love - coaching.

Short wants a manager with experience of working abroad and also in the Premier League, but reports linking Wigan's Geordie boss Steve Bruce with the job are wide of the mark.

Top Dutch bosses Louis van Gaal and Ronald Koeman have just taken up new posts with Bayern Munich and AZ Alkmaar respectively. But Martin Jol, Frank Rijkaard and former England boss Steve McClaren are in the frame.

Meanwhile, Sbragia has compiled a video of his side's rare decent displays this season in a bid to inspire them.

He added: "I don't want to be known as the man who took Sunderland down - and I don't believe we will do."

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/ ... _page.html

Heard anything about this Scotty? Not the most reliable source.

I read it today on the BBC gossip column. I for one would definitely welcome it to be honest... we need cash, new players who aren't washed up donkeys and a manager who has an IQ higher than a lampshade.

If we stay up and this happens then maybe we can finally turn into a team who plays attractive football and pushes for Europe regularly. I'd love to be able to tell people I support Sunderland without them laughing at me or feeling sorry for me.

As it stands Newcastle and Boro will be going down.

Man Utd one up at Hull, Villa leading 1-0 against Newcastle, Boro down 1-0 at West Ham.

Sunderland sitting tight at 0-0 against Chelsea. Looking safe Scotty. :mrgreen:

We aren't playing too bad either. You shoulda heard the crowd when news got round that villa scored haha they went mental

Scotty said:
We aren't playing too bad either. You shoulda heard the crowd when news got round that villa scored haha they went mental

Haha, i can only imagine. [icon_lol1.

Newcastle and Boro gone.

Thank christ for that. Now Ricky Sbraiga, get the **** away from my club, and Mr rich American bloke, buy us some good players and a decent manager

ningnangnong said:
Texan billionaire set to buy out Black Cats

rich-texan-the-simpsons.JPG

Scotty said:
Thank christ for that. Now Ricky Sbraiga, get the **** away from my club, and Mr rich American bloke, buy us some good players and a decent manager

Well you've got one of your wishes ... Sbraiga is gonzo

Haha have a go at Iain Dowie here, the dopey shit. [icon_lol1.

2128ow.gif

It reminds me of that motivational picture with The Rock and Emma Watson in it. Random ay. :mrgreen:

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

Looks like he has no idea where he is "What's doin with this crowd... there must be a football game on or something" [icon_lol1.

I reckon sunderland have so much potential to be a massive club now! They are the only team in their city and are now the only premier league team in the entire soccer mad tyneside region. They have one of the biggest stadiums in the league (3rd I think..?) and got massive attendances to their games during a relegation scrap season, imagine what it would be like if they were decent!

All they need now is a decent manager and some big investment from this yank and they could be a huge. Sleeping giants imo.

Yeah there is a huuuuge fanbase in the North east and with Newcastle in a fair bit of strife at the moment I can see Sunderland possibly being the best team in the north east for years to come.

As for Newcastle I still don't see them any closer to resolving their problems. Their wage bill is around 70 million pounds, they have about 10 players on 40k+ a week, their owner is losing cash left right and center, they have gone from a television rights deal worth 49million down to 1million and to top it off, several of their top paid players are shit/unreliable anyway (e.g. Barton) so no club will pick them up unless they are dead cheap... in which case Newcastle could stand to lose millions.

Mike Ashley has put them up for sale again. Asking for 100m.

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Lurker
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.