13/14 Football Thread

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Re: 12/13 Football Thread

Holy hell, if he debuted a week earlier he would have been 15, crazy stuff.
Messi comes to mind in that he debuted at such a young age too and look how great he turned out.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Redknapp isn't a bad manager by any means, but recruiting someone like AVB as the gaffer was crucial for spurs to make a step up and continue challenging for the Champions league. From what I have read, 'Arry is by no means a tactical manager in the sense that he doesn't have a 'style' for his team to adapt to. He throws them the ball in training and tells them to get on with it, plays lads to their strengths and is a good man-manager. Once AVB gets settled though, and maybe gets one or two more crucial signings in come January, Spurs will be a force to be reckoned with.

Impatience is rife through football supporters who follow teams in the top leagues these days, or so it seems. There has been some ridiculous reactions from our fans regarding our start. Sunderland have 4 points in 4 games, remain undefeated and two of the teams we played were Liverpool and Arsenal. Admittedly we haven't played great, but time is of the essence and our team is still finding its feet. There is no pleasing some people.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008

Redknapp isn't a bad manager by any means, but recruiting someone like AVB as the gaffer was crucial for spurs to make a step up and continue challenging for the Champions league. From what I have read, 'Arry is by no means a tactical manager in the sense that he doesn't have a 'style' for his team to adapt to. He throws them the ball in training and tells them to get on with it, plays lads to their strengths and is a good man-manager. Once AVB gets settled though, and maybe gets one or two more crucial signings in come January, Spurs will be a force to be reckoned with.

Impatience is rife through football supporters who follow teams in the top leagues these days, or so it seems. There has been some ridiculous reactions from our fans regarding our start. Sunderland have 4 points in 4 games, remain undefeated and two of the teams we played were Liverpool and Arsenal. Admittedly we haven't played great, but time is of the essence and our team is still finding its feet. There is no pleasing some people.

I agree entirely with both parts of your post!

Redknapp always struck me as the manager who would do the 'obvious' things - especially in terms of signing players... I can't imagine much scouting went on, he probably just waited to see who other teams were linked to, and pounced! :laugh:

I think AVB will do very well there. I'm happy to completely write off his spell at Chelsea, things just didn't work out for him at Stamford Bridge, primarily because all their players are ****s. The game seems to be becoming more and more tactical, and his knowledge of such matters is very impressive. That said, I hope he doesn't do well, because I can't stand Spurs supporters. :winky:

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008

The whole thing's impressive, but the best bit is the dribble to evade the defender's challenge about 32 seconds in. Class.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008

Whilst the football thread's all active and shit (this is like the glory days from pre-2010), I'm gonna praise Everton for their tribute last week to the victims of Hillsborough and their families. It was beautifully done and I'm not ashamed to admit I had a tear roll down my cheek the first time I saw it.

[video=dailymotion;xto83v]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xto83v_everton-tribute-to-the-96[/video]

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008

That goal is so eerily similar to Maradona's legitimate goal against England at the 86 World Cup, starts same area of the pitch, beats approx the same amount of players and jinks past the keeper. He was in his teens when he scored this goal too. Awesome!

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Is there a video of it? I haven't seen footage of it.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

WOW. That's so incredibly similar to the way Messi scored. Beautiful goal.

Maybe one day Messi can join the A-league :biggrin: I can dream!

Last edited:
pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

When I come and stay at Mums, they have Barca TV so I just sit there all day and watch Barca shit and between games, they have these random video packages of different stuff. well when Messi broke the Barca scoring record, they replayed all of his goals and every single one of them was pure class. Amazing stuff. When Messi became my favourite player quickly after he debuted, little did I know that he would be the greatest player I have ever seen and hes got a lot longer to go, hopefully its all wearing la blaugrana.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008

Rumoured front three for our match against Norwich tonight - Suso, Suarez and Sterling.

CREAM IN MY PANTS!

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008

When I come and stay at Mums, they have Barca TV so I just sit there all day and watch Barca shit and between games, they have these random video packages of different stuff. well when Messi broke the Barca scoring record, they replayed all of his goals and every single one of them was pure class. Amazing stuff. When Messi became my favourite player quickly after he debuted, little did I know that he would be the greatest player I have ever seen and hes got a lot longer to go, hopefully its all wearing la blaugrana.

I was convinced he would be the best I will ever see after about 2 years in the first team as long as he didn't let the injuries get the better of him (at that stage he was having some decent layoffs, including missing the 2006 UCL finale) you could just tell he was making great defenders look like park footballers and he was gradually getting a better eye for goal as well as a better understanding of how best to position his teammates both to set him up and to set them up. I watched a video of his top 10 goals from 10/11 and two were 1-2's with Pedro and two each were setup by short angled one touch balls from Iniesta and Xavi, the way he plays and his mates play around him is simply remarkable.

On Iniesta I have no doubt he is the greatest midfield player I have ever seen, he blows Zidane out of the water. The guy is an absolute genius.

Active Now

• DMZ
  • broncsgoat
  • Justwin
  • Galah
  • BruiserMk1
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • Harry Sack
  • winslow_wong
  • Brocko
  • Santa
  • The Strapper
  • bb_gun
  • mitch222
  • Skyblues87
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.